Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   European Delivery (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Proposed Germany itinerary for June ED (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671401)

flyaway 01-21-2013 11:10 AM

Proposed Germany itinerary for June ED

Hello, all. I have many questions about an ED we would like to pick up in Germany at the of end of June 2013.

Here is our proposed itinerary:

Fly overnight; arrive in Munich around noon. Go to Deutschesmuseum and maybe see some of the Residenz. Early bedtime.

Day 2. Pick up car; tour factory. Is it easy to get to the car pick up from central Munich via public transit? After tour, drive to Lake Chiemsee.

Day 3. Tour Herrenchiemsee. Drive to Berchtesgaden.

Day 4. Boat ride on Konigsee and visit Documentation Center.

Day 5. Hike the Wimbacklamm Gorge (how long does this take? 1 or 2 hours?) Drive to Ulm; sightsee in area; night in Ulm.

Day 6. See the Abbey in Zwiefalten; drive to Rothenburg. Do the Night Watchman Tour; overnight in Rothenbug.

Day 7. Drive to Cochem; on the way visit the Residenz in Wurzburg.

Day 8. Visit Burg Eltz in the AM; drive to Frankfurt to drop off car. (How long should we budget to do this? Spend night in Frankfurt airport area hotel. See something that evening in Frankfurt (any suggestions?)

Day 9. Fly home.

Id appreciate any comments/insights on the above. FYI we have been to Munich, Dachau, Salzburg and Fussen/Neuschwanstain before. I mention this b/c it might appear that we are leaving some highlights off of our itinerary. My son likes WW2 history, so Id be interested in hearing about any interesting things we might pass along the way.

SD Z4MR 01-21-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyaway (Post 7327630)
Hello, all. I have many questions about an ED we would like to pick up in Germany at the of end of June 2013.

Day 2. Pick up car; tour factory. Is it easy to get to the car pick up from central Munich via public transit? After tour, drive to Lake Chiemsee.

Welcome to Bimmerfest!

Since this is your first post and you have some questions, someone is bound to jump in and tell you that you must first read the European Wiki (just click on the "view the ED Wiki" link above) and that you also must first search for your answers using the "Search this Forum" link, also above.

So now that we've gotten that out of the way...

Day 2. It is very easy to get to the BMW Welt on any U-Bahn. Get off at the Olympiazentrum stop and you are right there. The English Factory Tour is usually at 11:30 and lasts until 14:00 so your delivery time should be no later than 10:00 or after 14:30 if you want to go on the tour. You might want to plan on lunch or a snack in the Premium Lounge before the tour. Make sure you set aside time to tour the Welt on your own either before or after your delivery. You also get free admission to the BMW Museum which will take at least an hour to 2 hours, maybe 3 hours if you really like museums. This is usually a pretty full first day and if you do it all you won't be out of the Welt until 17:00 or 18:00.

For information about hiking lengths and times, you might also want to ask on TripAdvisor.

Enjoy your planning!

HWF 01-21-2013 02:50 PM

When you receive your welcome pack from BMW, it will contain plenty of information on getting around in Munich, with good directions for getting to the Welt via public transportation. It's very simple, as you will see.

As for your flight home, unless there's a compelling reason to visit Frankfort, I would suggest that you drop off your car at the Munich airport and fly home to Philadelphia from MUC.

Crzy'boutBimmer 01-21-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HWF (Post 7328058)

As for your flight home, unless there's a compelling reason to visit Frankfort, I would suggest that you drop off your car at the Munich airport and fly home to Philadelphia from MUC.

I am looking for flight for ED in May, and I am getting really cheap flights from FRA than MUC.. like 300$ cheaper.. I believe that's why the OP would be choosing this route..

MUC to PHL is not cheap... MUC to DC is cheaper.. funny how flight fares are calculated..

Crzy'boutBimmer 01-21-2013 03:15 PM

Forgot to add, flights are cheaper if you're willing to fly in/out from Newark or DC, Philly is coming costlier no matter where you go in Germany..

flyaway 01-21-2013 05:32 PM

Hi. Our flights are booked - I was able to get 4 frequent flier tickets I couldn't pass up; the way home is direct from Frankfurt.

Trinitony 01-22-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyaway (Post 7327630)

Fly overnight; arrive in Munich around noon. Go to Deutschesmuseum and maybe see some of the Residenz. Early bedtime.

Day 3. Tour Herrenchiemsee. Drive to Berchtesgaden.

Day 4. Boat ride on Konigsee and visit Documentation Center.

Day 5. Hike the Wimbacklamm Gorge (how long does this take? 1 or 2 hours?) Drive to Ulm; sightsee in area; night in Ulm.

Day 6. See the Abbey in Zwiefalten; drive to Rothenburg. Do the Night Watchman Tour; overnight in Rothenbug.

Day 7. Drive to Cochem; on the way visit the Residenz in Wurzburg.

Day 8. Visit Burg Eltz in the AM; drive to Frankfurt to drop off car. (How long should we budget to do this? Spend night in Frankfurt airport area hotel. See something that evening in Frankfurt (any suggestions?)

Day 9. Fly home.

Id appreciate any comments/insights on the above.

I like your plan. I have a few suggestions which you may already have incorporated. I would suggest staying three nights in one hotel in the Berchtesgaden area and two nights in Rothenberg and doing day trips to nearby sights.

If you are looking for an inexpensive hotel near Berchtesgaden I would suggest the Kugelmuhle in Marktschellenberg. It is very good value. Some of the rooms have balconies and look towards the Eagle's Nest. It is also at a trailhead which is very popular - but I have not hiked it. Herrenchiemsee, the Documentation Center, Berchtesgaden, Konigsee, Wimbacklamm Gorge are all an easy drive away. I would also recommend a quick stop outside Ramsau Church for a photo op, it must be close to the trailhead of the Wimbacklamm Gorge.

When you go to the Abbey in Zwiefalten drive as much of the German Alpenstrasse as time permits. It is a very scenic road. As an alternative to Zwiefalten you might consider Ottobeuren Abbey which is also a Baroque church and very beautiful. It might cut off a few miles from your trip, or you might include it if you enjoy beautiful churches as much as I do. I have never been to Ulm but if it can be seen in an hour or two I would continue on to Rothenberg so that you can minimize overnight stops.

When in Rothenberg you will be not too far away from Nuremberg (about one hour). This was a major center for the Nazis and might interest your son. The Nazi Rally Grounds were the focal point of Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will and of course Hitler's build up of his popularity. Also in Nuremberg is another Documentation Center and the Palace of Justice where the Nuremberg Trials were held after WWII. Nuremberg itself is a pretty little town and worth a visit to the old town and market square.

I like your choice of visiting Cochem on the Mosel River. I presume you plan to drive along the river to Burg Eltz. It is very scenic and there are lots of little towns and vineyards along the way. Tripadvisor rates several hotels in Cochem very highly and they are relatively inexpensive too.

In Frankfurt I stayed at the airport Sheraton several years ago and was very happy with the convenience of it being an easy walk to the terminal, especially if you have an early flight

flyaway 01-24-2013 12:11 PM

Trinitony - thanks so much for your reply. I will look into 3 nights in Berchtesgaden, that's a good idea if everything is close. I will look into your hotel recommendation as well, thanks.

I would love to see Ottobeuren, too - I love the Baroque.

skywalkerbeth 01-24-2013 12:27 PM

WOW!

A poster who is not trying to drive from Munich to Scotland in 5 days.

Me likee!

:thumbup: