Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   sway bars! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671516)

robster10 01-21-2013 07:10 PM

sway bars!

Has anyone changed their sway bars & upgraded to stiffer ones?

CALWATERBOY 01-22-2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robster10 (Post 7328633)

Let me think....thinking....thinking hard!

Yes. Yes. Through the mist o'time, it appears someone somewhere has R&R'd sway bars!

You must start your search for truth, young Padawan. Try the oracle Google, and his Karmic twin, Bing. Direct your search to BMW SWAY BAR INSTALL.

The superior adept will focus on the letter M, and know his LSD!

There is a path for you. Good luck! Post here if your unravel the magnificence of it.

08 335Ci 01-22-2013 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7329210)
Let me think....thinking....thinking hard!

Yes. Yes. Through the mist o'time, it appears someone somewhere has R&R'd sway bars!

You must start your search for truth, young Padawan. Try the oracle Google, and his Karmic twin, Bing. Direct your search to BMW SWAY BAR INSTALL.

The superior adept will focus on the letter M, and know his LSD!

There is a path for you. Good luck! Post here if your unravel the magnificence of it.

You're such a "dill weed" hinting at using Google and Bing to find an answer ....

I would have just said "Google is your friend" or use the search button found on this page and it will return 999 items for "sway bar" and "sway bar install" returns 416 posts. And he wouldn't have to use BMW in his search!

Gee ... advising someone to do some "work'! SHAME ON YOU!!!

floydarogers 01-22-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robster10 (Post 7328633)

Cal is sorta right: you need to UNDERSTAND what you're doing. Try Googling "bmw sway bar understeer".

Increasing the sway bar diameter WITHOUT changing the spring rates (and shocks) will be likely to INCREASE understeer and make the car harder to control, not better.

CALWATERBOY 01-22-2013 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 08 335Ci (Post 7329320)
You're such a "dill weed" hinting at using Google and Bing to find an answer ....

I would have just said "Google is your friend" or use the search button found on this page and it will return 999 items for "sway bar" and "sway bar install" returns 416 posts. And he wouldn't have to use BMW in his search!

Gee ... advising someone to do some "work'! SHAME ON YOU!!!

I freely admit: Shame is my life.

Attachment 358801

But, does OP know why I bold faced?

08 335Ci 01-22-2013 03:31 PM

I do, but I like to figure stuff out.

pointandgo 01-22-2013 10:34 PM

Been there, done that with my E46 M3...and the sway bars were TOO STIFF, thus they ripped out their anchoring points after multiple driving schools. Re-welding was required. Lesson: how are you going to determine that the sway bars are NOT too stiff for your suspension and TEAR THROUGH their anchoring points?

BTW...mine were installed by"EXPERTS" from the sway bar company...directly from the factory...and they were TOO STIFF (rear).

Of course if you don't go screaming around a road course track for 6 - 7 sessions, they might not crack the anchoring points.

cwinter 01-23-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pointandgo (Post 7331558)
Been there, done that with my E46 M3...and the sway bars were TOO STIFF, thus they ripped out their anchoring points after multiple driving schools. Re-welding was required. Lesson: how are you going to determine that the sway bars are NOT too stiff for your suspension and TEAR THROUGH their anchoring points?

BTW...mine were installed by"EXPERTS" from the sway bar company...directly from the factory...and they were TOO STIFF (rear).

Of course if you don't go screaming around a road course track for 6 - 7 sessions, they might not crack the anchoring points.

I recall someone having issues with cracking anchoring points on their E9X with stock sway bars. I believe the issue was quality related. If I recall right they at least claimed not to be doing any extensive tracking of the car.

For some people, the quest for a stiffer suspension often ends in poor overall ride and performance. Not to mention the ueber tuners that end up riding on cars that just bounce and bounce over every little road imperfection, loosening all fillings in their mouth.