Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1982 - 1993) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Checking out E30 : Body work advice? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671543)

pjoa09 01-21-2013 10:31 PM

Checking out E30 : Body work advice?
 
I've posted this on R3V too.

So it's been quite a while that I have been looking for the right E30.

Been wanting one since mid-2010.

However too many are rusted to **** or just are plain slow M40s.



This one didn't have any rust holes underneath that I could find and I did check thoroughly. However, there are a lot of paint cracks on the body.

They are in the link below.



https://s3-ap-sin-104-prod.digitalhu...T9HMu_eJmoPJVI

https://s3-ap-sin-104-prod.digitalhu...6nucbzciiPaGZo

https://s3-ap-sin-104-prod.digitalhu...z6Ym384cRo08J8

https://s3-ap-sin-104-prod.digitalhu...SCzaz4iVr28kpo
https://s3-ap-sin-104-prod.digitalhu...L3qbTRL29S2qdk

https://s3-ap-sin-104-prod.digitalhu...UYYuneWzwfbFmE

https://s3-ap-sin-104-prod.digitalhu...2ToZRKK0L0OiOk

But it looks nice on the inside and maybe okay from 10 feet away.

https://s3-ap-sin-104-prod.digitalhu...3P351hfhlZKmT8

https://s3-ap-sin-104-prod.digitalhu...PLUBWibPPvyf3w

If the pictures don't work(damn iPhone):
https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#AA5qXGF1nCYBG


Opinions?

Would it take a lot to fix all these cuts in the paint and surface rust?

BMWFatherFigure 01-22-2013 06:59 AM

Short answer - Yes. If the car is want you want and you are prepared to spend time/effort/money over the purchase price then buy it. If you want an easy shift to your new ride - walk away. Some other person will buy it and either love it to death (as you seem to want to) or just drive it into the ground.

pjoa09 01-22-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWFatherFigure (Post 7329292)
Short answer - Yes. If the car is want you want and you are prepared to spend time/effort/money over the purchase price then buy it. If you want an easy shift to your new ride - walk away. Some other person will buy it and either love it to death (as you seem to want to) or just drive it into the ground.

I think I should get a magnet on it or something. I am quite tired going around for 2 years trying to find the right E30 that hasn't been abused bodily.

e30325i 01-22-2013 06:24 PM

get it if you want its your money :rolleyes:

_Ethrty-Andy_ 01-22-2013 10:23 PM

for some reason i cant see the pics, anyone else having that problem?

Quote:

Originally Posted by e30325i (Post 7330872)
get it if you want its your money :rolleyes:

not helpful

onager 01-23-2013 12:07 AM

Cracking paint may mean body putty underneath. Running a magnet with a light rag underneath around would be a good idea. Also run a gloved hand around the wheel wells to feel for dents or cut metal.

pjoa09 01-23-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ethrty-Andy_ (Post 7331439)
for some reason i cant see the pics, anyone else having that problem?



not helpful

You can click on the link at the end of the post.

onager 01-23-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjoa09 (Post 7331654)
You can click on the link at the end of the post.

Second link works for me.

BigBoy740il 01-30-2013 09:28 PM

The body has evidence of rusting in wheel wells, leaking tail light gaskets with clogged trunk drains, improperly rolled fenders, and finally excessive bondo work. To really find out the true extent of the body damage you must remove the cracked body filler. In addition, I'm not a fan of the Nissan engine swap, but that is entirely up to you. This combo might cause serious problems when it comes to getting troubleshooting answers on this forum.

Tkaczuk 01-31-2013 01:18 PM

Really it depends on price. I don't know what the market is in Thailand. If its a good price and your happy I would say go for it. E30's generally cause a little diy work. What kind of Nissian swap is it? Out of a S13?

pjoa09 02-14-2013 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBoy740il (Post 7349863)
The body has evidence of rusting in wheel wells, leaking tail light gaskets with clogged trunk drains, improperly rolled fenders, and finally excessive bondo work. To really find out the true extent of the body damage you must remove the cracked body filler. In addition, I'm not a fan of the Nissan engine swap, but that is entirely up to you. This combo might cause serious problems when it comes to getting troubleshooting answers on this forum.

It's not rusting. It's just cracked from some stupid driving, poor fender rolling. Yeah under the tail light there is a rust hole. I tried running a magnet over that white crack, it stuck, so I don't know, not a show piece, but some metal there. Yeah, I understood that before getting into it. I had made a post before in which i contemplated the SR20 with serious scrutiny but I wanted something more exciting and lovable than the M40 in the four door 318i, I can't find a 325i for cheap at least, so hashtag YOLO. I needed to make a mistake, mistakes are fun, I think? I'll figure that out, young enough.

Yes, I bought it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tkaczuk (Post 7351108)
Really it depends on price. I don't know what the market is in Thailand. If its a good price and your happy I would say go for it. E30's generally cause a little diy work. What kind of Nissian swap is it? Out of a S13?

Engine is out of the S14, I sometimes wish I had an S13 SR20DET but if I got that one then I'd wish I had the S14. S14s are easy to 300 WHP I heard. Got some VTC rattle already though.

Unfortunately, the battery died and the last owner had installed a really stiff noisy OS Giken clutch, I think I'll get used to it.

Decent price for all the goodies and speed.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms