Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   A $3000 service trip to the dealer (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671593)

bwillia 01-22-2013 06:30 AM

A $3000 service trip to the dealer
 
You just gotta hate it when you have to leave $3000 at the dealership for service. I have an 08 335xi coupe with only 45K. I took it in for a transmission fluid leak on the garage floor after the car sat for a while. After I drove away I had a new Mechatronics sleeve, A new LF axle shaft seal, A new Thrust arm on the RF with alignment, A new Valve cover and trap door to address low crankcase pressure resulting in an oil leak and one selective item in a transfer case fluid change! Yikes!! Oh well I do love this car but right now it is a love/hate relationship! :cry:

GarySL 01-22-2013 06:45 AM

Wow, sorry to hear BW. As I just turned over 46k in my xi, hopefully that's a service trip I can soon avoid (albeit an MT dodges a few of your troublesome items).

loso81 01-22-2013 07:16 AM

Bw.....extended warranty would have came in handy

bwillia 01-22-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loso81 (Post 7329419)
Bw.....extended warranty would have came in handy

It sure would have! And I contemplated that warranty hard but elected to skip it! Dumb!

loso81 01-22-2013 07:45 AM

it really sucks that you had that much to pay for repairs with your car especially since its an 08 and only 40*k miles, a lot of ppl have urged me not to extend my warranty on my car but I seriously think I will be getting it, my car is currently at the BMW dealership now for a turbo issue and I haven't had the car for 20 days yet, being that it was a previously leased vehicle there shouldn't be any issues, luckily for me I will not have to pay out of pocket and I think having warranty will just keep me as a peace of mind if there are any future major problems. HOPEFULLY u will no longer have any issues with yours

loso81 01-22-2013 07:46 AM

my car just hit 46k as well

tony(topaz,SMG) 01-22-2013 07:47 AM

Actually I'm not sure the extended warranty (at least the BMW one) covers seals and gaskets.

jburke4689 01-22-2013 08:00 AM

Extended warranty's are pretty expensive insurance. They would not even be available unless the seller's were making good margin on them. For everyone in the OP's position, there are literally dozens of extended warranty buyers that may as well have flushed the cash down the toilet.

HPIA4v2 01-22-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jburke4689 (Post 7329524)
extended warranty's are pretty expensive insurance. They would not even be available unless the seller's were making good margin on them. For everyone in the op's position, there are literally dozens of extended warranty buyers that may as well have flushed the cash down the toilet.

+1000

Bubbs 01-22-2013 08:47 AM

I just bought a 2011 335i with xDrive yesterday. It has just over 17,000 miles. It was not CPO but I asked to see if they could add it. They charged me $1,500 to do it which I considered cheap insurance for the peace of mind it gives me.

Zooks527 01-22-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbs (Post 7329642)
I just bought a 2011 335i with xDrive yesterday. It has just over 17,000 miles. It was not CPO but I asked to see if they could add it. They charged me $1,500 to do it which I considered cheap insurance for the peace of mind it gives me.

And there's the price point you should keep in mind on BMW extended warranties.

The CPO warranty is better than the BMW extended warranties you can get as far as items covered. It's also a pretty fixed price from what I've seen here, which would seen to indicate that the dealer has no negotiating leverage with BMWNA or even a lot of price room on his end.

So, $1500 would seem to be a good starting point for how much BMW thinks it will need to pay out in repair claims on average for an extended period with a 3-series. Paying more than this for warranty coverage would therefore seem to be a bad bet, again on an average basis.

lqaddict 01-22-2013 09:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tony(topaz,SMG) (Post 7329489)
Actually I'm not sure the extended warranty (at least the BMW one) covers seals and gaskets.

Most of the items listed in OP might not even be covered by the CPO.

If axle repairs are deemed suspension items as wear and use you are SOL.
Wheel balancing and alignment are not covered (even under factory original warranty).
Fluids changes are not covered by the CPO unless are part of the repair process, etc.

Hitman28xi 01-22-2013 09:37 AM

Dang. All I have to say is that I made sure to pay extra for a warranty after dealing with my last car being a complete lemon.

cwinter 01-22-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwillia (Post 7329454)
It sure would have! And I contemplated that warranty hard but elected to skip it! Dumb!

Not really because the assumption with insurance is, that the vast majority of people would spend less in repair than the price of the insurance. That's how insurance works. :thumbup:

I didn't extend mine either, since the cost was $2,500 and I figured I'll spend less than that until I hit 100,000 miles or the year mark. If I end up paying more, I have the funds available but would rather not spend them.

Extending your warranty is pre-paying for repairs and hoping it'll total more than the price you paid. ;) For most it's a bad deal, unless you put a price tag on "peace of mind."

tturedraider 01-22-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwillia (Post 7329332)
You just gotta hate it when you have to leave $3000 at the dealership for service. I have an 08 335xi coupe with only 45K. I took it in for a transmission fluid leak on the garage floor after the car sat for a while. After I drove away I had a new Mechatronics sleeve, A new LF axle shaft seal, A new Thrust arm on the RF with alignment, A new Valve cover and trap door to address low crankcase pressure resulting in an oil leak and one selective item in a transfer case fluid change! Yikes!! Oh well I do love this car but right now it is a love/hate relationship! :cry:

Ouch. www.bimrs.org , www.bimmershops.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbs (Post 7329642)
I just bought a 2011 335i with xDrive yesterday. It has just over 17,000 miles. It was not CPO but I asked to see if they could add it. They charged me $1,500 to do it which I considered cheap insurance for the peace of mind it gives me.

Wise choice. That price is barely over the dealer's cost to BMWNA, about $1,300. Makes me wonder what, if anything, they did to bring the car to CPO standards. Get them to give you a copy of the CPO Inspection Checklist, they're required to under the CPO program rules. Also, get them to give you a copy of the work order showing whatever work they did to bring the car to CPO standards.

Bubbs 01-22-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwillia

You just gotta hate it when you have to leave $3000 at the dealership for service. I have an 08 335xi coupe with only 45K. I took it in for a transmission fluid leak on the garage floor after the car sat for a while. After I drove away I had a new Mechatronics sleeve, A new LF axle shaft seal, A new Thrust arm on the RF with alignment, A new Valve cover and trap door to address low crankcase pressure resulting in an oil leak and one selective item in a transfer case fluid change! Yikes!! Oh well I do love this car but right now it is a love/hate relationship! :cry:


Ouch. www.bimrs.org , www.bimmershops.com



Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbs

I just bought a 2011 335i with xDrive yesterday. It has just over 17,000 miles. It was not CPO but I asked to see if they could add it. They charged me $1,500 to do it which I considered cheap insurance for the peace of mind it gives me.


Wise choice. That price is barely over the dealer's cost to BMWNA, about $1,300. Makes me wonder what, if anything, they did to bring the car to CPO standards. Get them to give you a copy of the CPO Inspection Checklist, they're required to under the CPO program rules. Also, get them to give you a copy of the work order showing whatever work they did to bring the car to CPO standards.

Actually they have to do the full inspection required by BMW. If I didn't get the CPO, I would be picking it up today. With the inspection they are doing, it will be next Monday before its available. They said I will get a list of the inspection items they are required to do and also advise if any repairs are needed as a result of the inspection.

tturedraider 01-22-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbs (Post 7330087)


Actually they have to do the full inspection required by BMW. If I didn't get the CPO, I would be picking it up today. With the inspection they are doing, it will be next Monday before its available. They said I will get a list of the inspection items they are required to do and also advise if any repairs are needed as a result of the inspection.

Just fyi - So, the cost BMWNA charges the dealer for the warranty is about $1,300. If the dealer finds any relatively pricey repairs (very unlikely) that need to be done to bring the car to CPO standards don't be surprised if they add that cost to the $1,500 CPO price they've quoted you. Since the car has such low mileage they probably won't have to make any repairs and the only thing that will be required is the inspection.

335i Driver 01-22-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jburke4689 (Post 7329524)
Extended warranty's are pretty expensive insurance. They would not even be available unless the seller's were making good margin on them. For everyone in the OP's position, there are literally dozens of extended warranty buyers that may as well have flushed the cash down the toilet.

Exactly, just like the lottery, for the dumb and dumber, a regressive tax for those who can't do basic math.

Had I bought the extended warranty I'd be out almost exactly $2263.

08 335Ci 01-22-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwillia (Post 7329332)
You just gotta hate it when you have to leave $3000 at the dealership for service. I have an 08 335xi coupe with only 45K. I took it in for a transmission fluid leak on the garage floor after the car sat for a while. After I drove away I had a new Mechatronics sleeve, A new LF axle shaft seal, A new Thrust arm on the RF with alignment, A new Valve cover and trap door to address low crankcase pressure resulting in an oil leak and one selective item in a transfer case fluid change! Yikes!! Oh well I do love this car but right now it is a love/hate relationship! :cry:

Were you advised what needed to be done .... and did you approve the repairs? Did they return (or offer to) the replaced parts?

I really question why you needed a head cover and trap door for a transmission leak. Or a thrust arm ....

In PA. if you don't approve the work before it's done .... it's free.

Wihelm G 01-22-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tturedraider (Post 7330135)
Just fyi - So, the cost BMWNA charges the dealer for the warranty is about $1,300. If the dealer finds any relatively pricey repairs (very unlikely) that need to be done to bring the car to CPO standards don't be surprised if they add that cost to the $1,500 CPO price they've quoted you. Since the car has such low mileage they probably won't have to make any repairs and the only thing that will be required is the inspection.

Why would they add the cost of any repairs required to get it "certified" if he was already quoted $1,500 to get it certified? And it's not the "repairs" that are going be required (they would most likely be covered under the factory warranty) so much as wear and tear stuff that ordinarily might not be covered or included in a used car sale. Tires come to mind. If the car has over 17,000 it could well be two or four tires might be over the 50% wear limit. I'd also want to know if it was a service loaner or coming off a lease, the former being more likely to have been abused.

Bubbs 01-22-2013 05:44 PM

It was a service loaner. They guaranteed no additional cost when I made the deal as they knew how well it had been taken care of. They also stated if there was a major problem discovered during the inspection, it would be covered under warranty.

Wihelm G 01-22-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbs (Post 7330942)
It was a service loaner. They guaranteed no additional cost when I made the deal as they knew how well it had been taken care of. They also stated if there was a major problem discovered during the inspection, it would be covered under warranty.

Sounds like you got a good deal. Keep up with the maintenance and it should give you years and miles of good service and enjoyable driving.

sptt144 01-22-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lqaddict (Post 7329772)
Most of the items listed in OP might not even be covered by the CPO.

If axle repairs are deemed suspension items as wear and use you are SOL.
Wheel balancing and alignment are not covered (even under factory original warranty).
Fluids changes are not covered by the CPO unless are part of the repair process, etc.

Interesting how it says the engine is covered then in the first paragraph, first item, it says the engine is not covered....???

tturedraider 01-22-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sptt144 (Post 7331430)
Interesting how it says the engine is covered then in the first paragraph, first item, it says the engine is not covered....???

The engine is covered. Maintenance is not, e.g. spark plugs.

Majikthese42 01-23-2013 03:52 AM

I've purchased the extended warranty for every new car I've bought in the last 15 years and I've at least broken even compared with dealer retail prices. If BMW asks $1500 for an extended warranty, they expect it to cost them less than $1500 on average. But I don't think BMW NA could pay a dealer the same shop labor rate that a retail customer is charged, and no matter what the invoice says, they are supplying the parts at a fraction of the retail cost. By buying the BMW warranty I am prepaying for expected repairs, which BMW discounts.

Alternatively, if I have an out-of-warranty car, I'll be sure that I have a tame independent shop to take it to when it breaks.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms