Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Ordered 550i w 6spd manual. Excited! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671720)

Elmanzah 01-22-2013 05:26 PM

Ordered 550i w 6spd manual. Excited!
 
I drove my 6spd 2001 540i to 175k so I can't wait to upgrade. This forum is great!

I ordered the executive package (along with the olufsen sound system), m sport package with adaptive drive and IAS. Not sure if I can wait 8 weeks! Lol

Yellow Jacket 01-22-2013 05:35 PM

I have a 2012 550i with the stick - you're going to love it!!

John S.

Elmanzah 01-22-2013 05:58 PM

Thanks John. I went all out after holding back for years.

Pashline 01-23-2013 01:44 AM

I am conflicted. I am going to get a 550i this fall (ED) and would love to get manual transmission. OTOH I live where it snows and so feel like I need to get X Drive which means automatic transmission. Can someone talk me out of this?

Elmanzah 01-23-2013 06:11 AM

The way I think about it is this: It doesn't snow as often as it used to and if it does, the roads and highways are cleared out very quickly. I've done fine over the course of my driving life by switching out summer tires and winter tires as needed. The majority of the time, the roads are dry and that is why I don't feel I need the x drive.

Now, there are some that prefer the (initial) blistering acceleration off the line in either wet conditions or from as they turn. I enjoy that in my wife's x drive but at highway speeds, I feel more comfortable in a rear wheel drive. I really don't like automatic cars or whatever marketing term they are given these days. Grew up driving manual and it is just second nature to me. For real world reaction time, it can't be beat.

So in the end, if you are getting the x drive for snow, see my first paragraph but if you won't it for it superior performance in JUST those categories I mentioned then go for it. Not sure if that helps :-)

Yellow Jacket 01-23-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pashline (Post 7331690)
I am conflicted. I am going to get a 550i this fall (ED) and would love to get manual transmission. OTOH I live where it snows and so feel like I need to get X Drive which means automatic transmission. Can someone talk me out of this?

We had a recent 12" snow here in Iowa and my 550i (stick, rear wheel drive only) performed like a champ- absolutely no issues at all. I had installed winter tires on dedicated rims and it performed better than a 318xi (a/s tires) that I had for a few days. I am completely confident with a stick, rear wheel drive with true winter tires.

Best regards,

John S.

yogi799 01-23-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pashline (Post 7331690)
I am conflicted. I am going to get a 550i this fall (ED) and would love to get manual transmission. OTOH I live where it snows and so feel like I need to get X Drive which means automatic transmission. Can someone talk me out of this?

Think of it this way, a true sports sedan must not push any torque to the wheels that steer! Steering is ONLY that - steering!

That was my logic and as others have said, snow is cleared up quickly anyway, plus 4WD always gives you false sense of safety and the ability to rapidly accelerate might get you in trouble when braking does not perfrom equally well. It's just better to keep it slow and easy in the snow, period.

Having said that, it absolutely pisses me off when it rains or is slightly wet and the rear loses traction all the time, in 1st, 2nd and 3rd!!! :mad: .... under hard acceleration that is. But then you still have, say 80% dry days to 20% wet, so the answer was clear for me. I'd still go RWD if I could do it over again.

Did I talk you out of it? LOL

Ralph1201 01-23-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogi799 (Post 7332265)
a true sports sedan must not push any torque to the wheels that steer! Steering is ONLY that - steering!

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogi799 (Post 7332265)
It's just better to keep it slow and easy in the snow, period.

Just wanted to highlight words of wisdom :)

miamiboyca 01-23-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elmanzah (Post 7330883)
I drove my 6spd 2001 540i to 175k so I can't wait to upgrade. This forum is great!

I ordered the executive package (along with the olufsen sound system), m sport package with adaptive drive and IAS. Not sure if I can wait 8 weeks! Lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket (Post 7330916)
I have a 2012 550i with the stick - you're going to love it!!

John S.

Those of us with proper gear boxes never regret getting them :thumbup:

Pashline 01-23-2013 11:03 AM

Thanks for the words of advice!


I think I'm going with the stick. Aside from the above, I was concened that the 5 series has developed a rep for insulating the driver from the road and worried that the automatic would only enhance that feeling.

Thanks again.

Schnell M 01-23-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miamiboyca (Post 7332452)
Those of us with proper gear boxes never regret getting them :thumbup:

Right on! :thumbup:

AggieKnight 01-23-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miamiboyca (Post 7332452)
Those of us with proper gear boxes never regret getting them :thumbup:

Amen.

I picked up a 550 w/ the "sportsmans" gearbox in Europe in December, and it was OMFG awesome. Heck of a lot more fun than the (still pretty awesome) slushbox 550 I test drove.

You're going to absolutely love it.

Post pics when you get it.

yogi799 01-23-2013 06:24 PM

I too grew up with sticks but I have to ask you. Don't you ever get tired of shifting six times from each light around town? Or do u keep it in a low gear or skip gears (which is what I did sometimes when I was tired of doing 1-5 all the time.)

miamiboyca 01-23-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogi799 (Post 7333566)
I too grew up with sticks but I have to ask you. Don't you ever get tired of shifting six times from each light around town? Or do u keep it in a low gear or skip gears (which is what I did sometimes when I was tired of doing 1-5 all the time.)

To be honest, in most cars I only use 6th on highways. Probably not very efficient of me, but I forget since 5th tends to have such good range.

If I am doing a lot of street driving I tend to start in 2nd and just go to 2,3,2,3,2, etc

As far as tired... to me its the norm so dont really notice it. The only thing I really hate is when I switch back into an automatic and I try and jam my left though the well. :mad: Damn that hurts..

AggieKnight 01-24-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogi799 (Post 7333566)
I too grew up with sticks but I have to ask you. Don't you ever get tired of shifting six times from each light around town? Or do u keep it in a low gear or skip gears (which is what I did sometimes when I was tired of doing 1-5 all the time.)

Honestly, I never get tired of shifting...but I don't shift six times between each stoplight. The power bar on most modern cars I've driven is so large that you can skip gears as you accelerate (when you aren't interested in maximizing acceleration) and stay in gears longer.

Keyser Soze 01-24-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pashline (Post 7332480)
Thanks for the words of advice!

I think I'm going with the stick. Aside from the above, I was concened that the 5 series has developed a rep for insulating the driver from the road and worried that the automatic would only enhance that feeling.

Thanks again.

My first BMW was a 1966 1600 I had back in the 1980's.....it was a glorious 4 speed.......and I've also driven nothing but manual BMW's since Sept 2000 when I picked up my first shiny new 330Ci from Santa Barbara..............that being said, I think the F10 is way too big for a manual, the car is way too quiet (obviously an exhaust would help), the 1st gear is way too short, you get worse acceleration from a stop and to top it off you get worse mileage. I get around 20 mpg. I almost wish I could just start in 2nd gear as 1st you are only in for a split second and wasting time. Also keep in mind your right hand will constantly be fiddling around in that iDrive controller while driving and around stoplights/etc as well.

The new automatics are faster, better and more efficient now and there is no penalty in having one. This was marginally debatable with the E60 but there is absolutely no question about it now.

Now, if you are worried about Long Term ownership costs of a complicated automatic transmission, that is one thing, but if you think the manual is going to provide a "sports car" experience in a car this large, it won't. I am not trying to dissaude anyone from going for an MT, in what will be without question our last chance at getting a 5 series MT, just putting out some observations from someone who has driven nothing but MT BMW's.

This is my opinion, obviously, but I suggest you test drive new F10 with automatic first, then somehow a MT (find a newer 335 with the same transmission and pretend you are hauling 1,000 lbs in the trunk) before you jump.

Pashline 01-24-2013 08:56 AM

Definitely will try to find one to test drive. My wife has a 2011 335i with MT and I love it but as you say the 5 series is a different animal. I will mention I had one of the last of the toyota 4 Runners with MT which obviosly is large and did not have problems with it in terms of performance.

Elmanzah 01-24-2013 09:15 AM

Most of the time I got 1st to 3rd, 5th and 6th if I am fast enough or if the wheels are turning I go 2nd to 4th and then 6th. My brain hates traffic not because I have to shift often but because I hate sitting in traffic. I honestly never found my self hating the fact that I shift.

Driving an automatic on the other hand irks me because I can't predict (the same way I do with a manual) what dose of acceleration I am getting. It just doesn't feel right. So in the end I don't care if there is traffic or not.

Elmanzah 01-24-2013 09:21 AM

It really comes down to this: I + MT am a much better driver than me + AT.

Keyser Soze 01-24-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elmanzah (Post 7334830)
Most of the time I got 1st to 3rd, 5th and 6th if I am fast enough or if the wheels are turning I go 2nd to 4th and then 6th. My brain hates traffic not because I have to shift often but because I hate sitting in traffic. I honestly never found my self hating the fact that I shift.

Driving an automatic on the other hand irks me because I can't predict (the same way I do with a manual) what dose of acceleration I am getting. It just doesn't feel right. So in the end I don't care if there is traffic or not.

Did you test drive the sports auto on an F10? It literally has nothing in common with any "auto" made before it.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Pashline (Post 7334779)
Definitely will try to find one to test drive. My wife has a 2011 335i with MT and I love it but as you say the 5 series is a different animal. I will mention I had one of the last of the toyota 4 Runners with MT which obviosly is large and did not have problems with it in terms of performance.

I get all this but if you are getting NAV (or even if don't in my case) you will be in that iDrive all the time so keep that in mind.

Elmanzah 01-24-2013 10:32 AM

"Did you test drive the sports auto on an F10? It literally has nothing in common with any "auto" made before it."

I did when I test drove the 550i at the dealer. Now keep in mind, I am too polite to push the car enough to get a true sense of its capabilities. I find it rude to do that when I have a passenger let alone a sales person and with a car that ISN'T mine. So I couldn't really get a good sense. To be honest, I am probably biased towards manual because it is such second nature to me. I don't even think about it and I can tailor my driving style any way I want.

Now I left the test drive THOROUGHLY impressed. Remember however that my baseline is a 12 year old car so my baseline is pretty low (2001 540i 6 spd). My impressions after driving was how FAST AND civilized the car was. Yes it's larger and heavier but I too am at a point in my life where I want a greater dose of comfort without sacrificing sportiness. I feel this 5 has done EXACTLY that. I can only imagine how my car with IAS and DDC will feel like (both features missing from the test drive). Oh and by the way, the steering loading was horrid (but I forgive it given how awesome everything else) was.

Leslierc 01-24-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogi799 (Post 7333566)
I too grew up with sticks but I have to ask you. Don't you ever get tired of shifting six times from each light around town? Or do u keep it in a low gear or skip gears (which is what I did sometimes when I was tired of doing 1-5 all the time.)

Agree...an even more frustrating experience when the traffic signals aren't in sync. But, to each his/her own. Congrats, OP and best of luck with your new 5 Series.

Schnell M 01-24-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keyser Soze (Post 7334673)
My first BMW was a 1966 1600 I had back in the 1980's.....it was a glorious 4 speed.......and I've also driven nothing but manual BMW's since Sept 2000 when I picked up my first shiny new 330Ci from Santa Barbara..............that being said, I think the F10 is way too big for a manual, the car is way too quiet (obviously an exhaust would help), the 1st gear is way too short, you get worse acceleration from a stop and to top it off you get worse mileage. I get around 20 mpg. I almost wish I could just start in 2nd gear as 1st you are only in for a split second and wasting time. Also keep in mind your right hand will constantly be fiddling around in that iDrive controller while driving and around stoplights/etc as well.

The new automatics are faster, better and more efficient now and there is no penalty in having one. This was marginally debatable with the E60 but there is absolutely no question about it now.

Now, if you are worried about Long Term ownership costs of a complicated automatic transmission, that is one thing, but if you think the manual is going to provide a "sports car" experience in a car this large, it won't. I am not trying to dissaude anyone from going for an MT, in what will be without question our last chance at getting a 5 series MT, just putting out some observations from someone who has driven nothing but MT BMW's.

This is my opinion, obviously, but I suggest you test drive new F10 with automatic first, then somehow a MT (find a newer 335 with the same transmission and pretend you are hauling 1,000 lbs in the trunk) before you jump.

I have to disagree. I did not get a 6 speed in my 550i "to provide a sports car experience". I came from a 2011 e92 M3 with DCT, and while I loved that car, it was just not a great daily driver when it came to extracting power and taking advantage of its handling ability. I don't think people that get the F10 with a 6 speed are trying to make it more of a sports car...they just like rowing gears (all of my cars were manuals before my M3 with DCT). Now if they offered DCT in the 550i, then I probably would have gone that route...but I just don't do automatics...no matter how far they have come.

AutoUnion 01-24-2013 12:51 PM

Congrats OP! Your car is going to a rare beast. Fully loaded, but with 6MT

miamiboyca 01-24-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-Town550i (Post 7335110)
I have to disagree. I did not get a 6 speed in my 550i "to provide a sports car experience". I came from a 2011 e92 M3 with DCT, and while I loved that car, it was just not a great daily driver when it came to extracting power and taking advantage of its handling ability. I don't think people that get the F10 with a 6 speed are trying to make it more of a sports car...they just like rowing gears (all of my cars were manuals before my M3 with DCT). Now if they offered DCT in the 550i, then I probably would have gone that route...but I just don't do automatics...no matter how far they have come.

Very well stated. I too didn't get the manual to make the F10 a sports, car - I got it because I like manual. I will admit that their was a time where I considered the Sport Auto, but then I saw all the threads about complaints and it put me over the top.

No regrets so far.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms