Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   New one? Key fob unlocks but doesn't lock. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671904)

jviss 01-23-2013 03:26 PM

New one? Key fob unlocks but doesn't lock.

Here's the sequence of events.

I have two keys, one I use all the time (1), the other (2) almost never.

The other night, very cold out, (1) wouldn't lock. I locked manually.

Later it worked fine again.

Next day I tried key 2. It unlocks fine, but won't lock. Tried it many times, same thing.

Anyone ever here of this?

Thanks,

jv

Monkeyboard 01-23-2013 07:12 PM

Well im glad to hear this has happened to someone else.

This has happened to me on numerous occasions over the last 6 months. Only difference is that the fob does not always unlock the vehicle.

Sometimes I can unlock the driver door but clicking the fob again does not unlock the other door. I end up having to press the unlock button on the dash or manually open the passenger doors by pulling on the interior handle.

Temperature does not seem to matter for me. Sometimes it's hot...sometimes it's cold.

Does not appear to be a battery issue as it will work fine for weeks on end after failing.

awdrev 01-23-2013 07:22 PM

I think the first thing you should try is to re-program the fobs and see what that does. If that does not work, then we can just say it's a "button" issue and there's not much you can do but to get another key.

jviss 01-23-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awdrev (Post 7333703)
I think the first thing you should try is to re-program the fobs and see what that does. If that does not work, then we can just say it's a "button" issue and there's not much you can do but to get another key.

How do you reprogram the fobs?

awdrev 01-23-2013 08:57 PM

Pretty simple.

Grab both keys, go inside the car.

1) Insert any key into the key hole and turn it to the 1 position (WITHOUT starting the car) and then turn it back to the zero position (as if you were turning the car off) within (I think) 5 seconds?. In reality this isn't difficult, just put the key in, turn it to 1, then to 0, then take the key off.

The next step must be done within 30 seconds.

2) Press and hold the UNLOCK BUTTON and then press the LOCK button (center button) three times. If done right you will see that the car will lock, and the unlock confirming the sequence. Put another way, you will need two hands. One will press and keep the unlock button pressed while the other one presses the lock button twice.

The important step is that you have to grab the OTHER key and do the same in step two within 30 seconds of programming the first key

This is so both keys get programmed with the same encryption... otherwise one key will end up having the new code but the other one won't.

So, to sum up:

Grab both keys; get in the car; start with one key; put it in; switch to 1, then 0; take key off; press and hold UNLOCK, and while holding unlock press LOCK three times; WAIT for confirmation of that key (car will lock, then unlock); upon confirmation; grab second key; and repeat to make sure both keys have the same code within 30 seconds.