Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Brake stumble (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672006)

jdauria 01-24-2013 05:22 AM

Brake stumble
 
Gentleman,

I am hoping you can help me with something. I've started to notice a "stumble" when coming to a stop at a light or in stop-n-go traffic. I dont feel it until right when the car becomes stationary.

It feels like it is coming from the engine? possible front transmission? Rotors?

I am not sure if it is noticable if I were a passenger but I can feel it almost in my feet while coming to a complete stop.

Ideas?

x3brian 01-24-2013 06:10 AM

Is it more of a pulsation feel as you apply you foot to the brake pedal?

If that is the case, I would say either a warped rotor or a hard spot on one of your pads.

jdauria 01-24-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x3brian (Post 7334377)
Is it more of a pulsation feel as you apply you foot to the brake pedal?

If that is the case, I would say either a warped rotor or a hard spot on one of your pads.

somewhat of a pulsating feeling but it only occurs right when the vehicle is coming to a stop. I can brake at low speed and dont feel a thing.

I'll have to check the rotors (my intial thought) and pads. I bought the X3 second hand so I am not sure if they have been replaced recently or ever

mlukas161 01-24-2013 06:58 AM

How many miles are on the X3?
You might want to check the Tension Strut in the front suspension.
Some have said that when this bushing starts to fail it feels similar to warped rotors.

Tension Strut ( also called Thrust Arm ) ( also called a Lower Control Arm Front ). This controls the lateral movement of the front wheel.
It's part #8 on the link below.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...70&hg=31&fg=05

The rubber bushing on this part can deteriorate and cause a clunking at brakes. Although you would also hear a clunk over bumps and maybe while accelerating. It's a common problem on e39 BMW's too, which have a similar suspension design.

I'd climb under the X3 ( don't need to jack it up ) and grab this Thrust Arm and try to replicate the noise.

jdauria 01-24-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlukas161 (Post 7334479)
How many miles are on the X3?
You might want to check the Tension Strut in the front suspension.
Some have said that when this bushing starts to fail it feels similar to warped rotors.

Tension Strut ( also called Thrust Arm ) ( also called a Lower Control Arm Front ). This controls the lateral movement of the front wheel.
It's part #8 on the link below.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...70&hg=31&fg=05

The rubber bushing on this part can deteriorate and cause a clunking at brakes. Although you would also hear a clunk over bumps and maybe while accelerating. It's a common problem on e39 BMW's too, which have a similar suspension design.

I'd climb under the X3 ( don't need to jack it up ) and grab this Thrust Arm and try to replicate the noise.

Thanks for reponse.

Just rolled over 62k so that seems a little premature.

I do NOT hear a clunking noise. I dont believe its a control arm issue. But ill have to check underneath to be sure.

Feels more like an engine stumble or transmission

mlukas161 01-24-2013 08:20 AM

That is pretty low mileage. I wouldn't think the bushing would be the issue.
Mine were good until 120,000 miles. :thumbup:

jdauria 01-24-2013 08:32 AM

Yup thats what I was thinking.

It has to be something with the engine or transmission. Hopefully nothing costly :(, I plan on doing the diff flush and transfer case flush soon.

jdauria 01-30-2013 11:25 AM

the stumble is still there....I'll try breaking hard and see if I feel it under my feet, but I really think its a front differential problem

mrsanchez3 01-31-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdauria (Post 7348601)
the stumble is still there....I'll try breaking hard and see if I feel it under my feet, but I really think its a front differential problem

I had something that I think was similar... I changed the front and rear diff and the TC fluid. Actually, I changed each twice (few hundred miles in between). I think the issue left completely. That was a few thousand or so miles ago. I had about 69k on it at the time...

jdauria 01-31-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsanchez3 (Post 7351051)
I had something that I think was similar... I changed the front and rear diff and the TC fluid. Actually, I changed each twice (few hundred miles in between). I think the issue left completely. That was a few thousand or so miles ago. I had about 69k on it at the time...

Ya I am thinking I just need to flush both diffs and transfer case. Hopefully that will cure the stumble. Thanks for the input. I am at 63k right now

I know I am beating a dead horse here but you guys recommend Red Line 75W90 for diffs or 75w140??

shendrick 01-31-2013 01:37 PM

Are you in sport mode? If so, when the transmission downshifts more aggressively and there is some very non-linear engine braking that creates a herky-jerky driving experience when coming to a stop. So sport mode not so good for stop and go traffic.

jdauria 01-31-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shendrick (Post 7351277)
Are you in sport mode? If so, when the transmission downshifts more aggressively and there is some very non-linear engine braking that creates a herky-jerky driving experience when coming to a stop. So sport mode not so good for stop and go traffic.

Nope just normal cruising.

x3brian 01-31-2013 03:50 PM

I use redline 75w90 every 25k miles. Works great!

jdauria 02-01-2013 04:43 AM

Thanks guys, ill have to report back after a diff and transfer case fluid flush/fill.

Does it make a difference if I say the "stumble" is more like a "thump"?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms