Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Easiest way to get quality bluetooth audio? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672145)

kodishj 01-24-2013 03:27 PM

Easiest way to get quality bluetooth audio?

I have been looking into various solutions for playing music from my iPhone. I am not sure exactly what I want, but I know that I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on it. I also want to maximize sound quality (no FM transmitters). I know that I will probably have to choose between the two. What are my options?

Here's some information; I'm not sure what's applicable. It's an '06 530i. I have the business professional radio, with hifi speakers. I have the in-dash cd changer, capable of reading mp3s, as well as the 5-disc changer in the glovebox. I don't have an aux input installed.

Is there any product that I can use to replace the glovebox cd changer, where I can use A2DP/bluetooth to stream audio (like a Jambox or Bose Soundlink)? I have bluetooth, but it only works for phone calls. Since I already have the CD changer in the glovebox, do I still need a professional to set up the fiber-optic connection?

Sorry for the overload of questions. Thanks.

Rbsmm 01-25-2013 04:25 AM

I'm looking for the same for my 06 550. I asked my local BMW dealer repair shop and was told the only option I could go with (as far as BMW is concerned) was an audio AUX in place of the CD changer. In other words, the CD changer is replaced by the headphone size audio plug, and not the USB plug which is what I need in order to use an aftermarket BT option.

I'm sure there is an aftermarket USB option out there, but I haven't found it yet either.

Phoenix1 01-25-2013 07:49 AM

If you have access to the earphone type jack that hooks into the AUX port, you connect to Griffin Blue Trip and then wirelessly stream from iPhone and Smartphones. $59 at Amazon. If you don't have AUX option on audio, not sure ...

Rbsmm 01-25-2013 08:06 AM

Phoenix1,

Thanks, that works for me. It would be nice to have the USB instead, so I could control my iphone from the Idrive, but your suggestion looks like the next best thing!

Indy08Bimmer 02-15-2013 06:44 AM

I have an '08 E60 with the Aux port in the rear of the arm rest(convenient for nothing) but purchased an Aluratek USB receiver that mates with my IPhone. It is a little larger than a postage stamp and about 1/8" in thickness. I placed a velcro strip on it to hold it in place...my only complaints are that it doesn't automatically resync with the IPhone and charging is via a micro-USB charge only. My work around for charging has been to plug in my cell phone charger with a USB slot right next to it. Good news is that the Aluratek was about $30 at Best Buy and the sound is great. Works much better than the direct connect to the headphone jack.

giarC71 07-13-2013 08:54 PM

Thanks for the recommendation Indy. Works Great. ON my 09 E60

fdriller9 07-15-2013 07:40 AM

You can install an aux input into your HU for cheap. The harness is like $40-50 but you have to code the HU to activate it. I can take care of the coding for you if you're in the Philly or NJ area.

I used to use a blackberry stereo gateway with my aux port. My iPhone paired to both my car's bluetooth, as well as the stereo gateway. Calls would fade music out and back on when you took and hung up a call, respectively.