Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   2012 x5 35d bolt recall and other repairs (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672158)

Bon jovi 01-24-2013 05:20 PM

2012 x5 35d bolt recall and other repairs
 
Hi there-

I have followed the forum for years and decided I will finally post. Just took our 2012 x5 35d in for the bolt recall and also had unusual metal grinding noises coming from the engine this weekend.

The car has 9000 miles and no oil changes yet. The screeching noise first sounded like the brakes, but it continued to make the noise when we were accelerating. It lasted for a few hours then mostly went away.

The other unusual thing was when I turned the car on the next morning I had a low fuel additive warning. Any guesses?

The car is in the shop and is being reprogrammed tonight. What is that for?

Marwan 01-25-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bon jovi (Post 7335759)
...The car is in the shop and is being reprogrammed tonight. What is that for?

There's a software upgrade that BMW has been pushing for a few weeks now...

ard 01-25-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bon jovi (Post 7335759)
Hi there-

also had unusual metal grinding noises coming from the engine this weekend.

. It lasted for a few hours then mostly went away.

Only a few hours? Why the rush to bring it in for service??:thumbup:

Collie1 01-26-2013 07:43 PM

If you are getting an alert that says something like no start in x amount of miles and is counting down, and you are already past 9000 miles then it is time for an oil change and DEF replenishment. (corrected)

gresch 01-26-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collie1 (Post 7340364)
If you are getting an alert that says something like no start in x amount of miles and is counting down, and you are already past 9000 miles then it is time for an oil change and fuel additive replenishment.

Fuel additive? I think you mean diesel exhaust fluid (DEF), it's not a fuel additive.

dcharnet 01-27-2013 04:20 AM

DEF prompt and oil change prompt are two different things. The former is a separate issue for diesels giving you forewarning that your DEF tank needs to be refilled. This is not a "malfunction," just a routine and very mandatory maintenance item.

You REALLY need to read the manual.

DrT 01-27-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcharnet (Post 7340813)
DEF prompt and oil change prompt are two different things. The former is a separate issue for diesels giving you forewarning that your DEF tank needs to be refilled. This is not a "malfunction," just a routine and very mandatory maintenance item.

You REALLY need to read the manual.

+1

Mine is scheduled for the recall service. I have 15k and no service lights on. Because of mileage I have requested Oil and DEF service.

finnbmw 01-27-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L0rd NIk0n (Post 7340868)
+1

Mine is scheduled for the recall service. I have 15k and no service lights on. Because of mileage I have requested Oil and DEF service.

AFAIK, with the diesel, you should have had the oil changed (and there should have been a reminder) at 11k

DrT 01-27-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbmw (Post 7341123)
AFAIK, with the diesel, you should have had the oil changed (and there should have been a reminder) at 11k

No reminder still at this point. As my X5 is not driven as much. Check iDrive all green!

finnbmw 01-27-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L0rd NIk0n (Post 7341137)
No reminder still at this point. As my X5 is not driven as much. Check iDrive all green!

Strange. On my 2010, the service reminder has always come on way before the 11k mark (I drive about 12-14,000) miles per year. There should also come a reminder once you get close to your anniversary if you don't drive enough to trigger the mileage reminder.

DrT 02-04-2013 12:14 PM

Dropped off my X5 for the bolt repair, lineup and force road balance on Saturday. SA informed me that there was a software update. SA call on Sat afternoon too inform me all work was complete except software update. He stated he machine was down and being repaired. And my car would be ready on Monday. So, I am still driving the 2012 535i loaner with the sport suspension option. I am really loving the spots seats. And I haven't notice the boost delay or offline hesitation. As I took an extensive drive on Sunday and tried every suspension mode, driving combo. And that inline six turbo still works efficiently.

henrycyao 02-04-2013 10:44 PM

Hmm, I double checked the changes to the recall repair. There was no software update for my 2012 BMW X5 35D. Do you know what is the software update for?

Its good to hear that 535i is responsive in the transmission. I can't say the same about the 328i loaner I got. Then again, it is a huge difference in price.

Marwan 02-05-2013 01:27 PM

The software update is not part of the recall but a coincidental upgrade.

DrT 02-05-2013 03:57 PM

Wow my X5 D throttle is more responsive and excelerates faster with improved fuel economy. This is the first software update its had.

ndabunka 02-05-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L0rd NIk0n (Post 7361823)
Wow my X5 D throttle is more responsive and excelerates faster with improved fuel economy. This is the first software update its had.

Any details on the software version that was in place and what is now in place? Any way we can check that against our rides somewhere in the iDrive perhaps? I could use better fuel economy

NoI4plz 02-05-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L0rd NIk0n (Post 7361823)
Wow my X5 D throttle is more responsive and excelerates faster with improved fuel economy. This is the first software update its had.

stupid question, but did the TPMS now show individual tire pressure losses/warnings

jashearer 02-05-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoI4plz (Post 7362593)
stupid question, but did the TPMS now show individual tire pressure losses/warnings

No, that's what I checked Saturday night, I have the software patch and my TPMS is still lame.

Jay

serge1 02-05-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L0rd NIk0n (Post 7361823)
Wow my X5 D throttle is more responsive and excelerates faster with improved fuel economy. This is the first software update its had.

Could be something to it.
Over the weekend, went with family to Bavarian village (2.5 hours away) in the mountains. 275 miles round trip. On "to" way, went over 2 mountain passes, on "from" way, 1 mountain pass.
Overall MPG (OBC was reset): 26.1. That is with spirited driving (75-80, overtakes, uphill, winter weather). I don't think I have ever gotten that good MPG on my trips.

PDX5er 02-06-2013 02:46 PM

We had the recall bolt break two days ago. Completely disabled the car, first the power steering went then the engine died, no battery power, and unable to jump start the rig. Luckily it died at the entrance to our neighborhood. There is no (easy) way to manually get it neutral so it just sat blocking the street for two hours until the tow truck showed. I would definitely recommend getting this fixed before it breaks. It would be a bad scene on the freeway.

kanar200 02-06-2013 03:01 PM

I had flat tire two times. the computer showed me each time which tire is losing the pressure

Quote:

Originally Posted by jashearer (Post 7362599)
No, that's what I checked Saturday night, I have the software patch and my TPMS is still lame.

Jay


53K 02-11-2013 07:55 AM

I just had mine fixed for the recall and programming.
One thing I have noticed after is that the bluetooth audio sound doesn't pair up easily (the phone bluetooth works fine). I now have to go into my phone bluetooth setting and set the audio almost every time. Very annoying. I suspect that the new programming has something to do with this.
Anyone experiencing the same issue? Btw my phone is galaxy note 2.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms