Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   How to Increase Oil Sump Capacity? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672175)

BimmerMan83 01-24-2013 05:17 PM

How to Increase Oil Sump Capacity?

Hi Friends, long time visitor here since my 328iS days! Finally stepped up and became a member :)

As you know the 2005 330i takes about 7 quarts of oil, I like to replace my current oil pan with a deeper one, in order to increase the total oil sump capacity!

Can anyone help me find this pan please? Also if anyone who has already done this, did you notice a reduction in oil loss?

Scottji 01-24-2013 05:30 PM

Not really the answer you're looking for, but not sure why you'd want to increase your oil capacity further? 7 quarts is a LOT for a relatively small (3.0L) motor. That's one of the reasons they can get away with an extended oil change interval. By way of comparison, my 4Runner has a 4.0L V6 that only needs about 5 quarts.

Further, if your car is losing oil, not sure a deeper pan would be the answer. If the loss is pretty drastic, check for oil leaks. If you don't see any leaks and are losing less than about a quart per oil change, chalk it up to the car just burning oil and live with it.

I also don't think a deeper oil pan would fit. My guess is it'd get in the way of your metal support brace/shield, which you really don't want to drive without. Just some food for thought.

SJBimmer 01-24-2013 05:33 PM

At 7 quarts, your sump is already oversized compared to most cars. An oversized sump will not cause a reduction in oil loss. You may however, wish to check your CCV for proper operation, and check for engine oil leaks. One of them should be the cause of your oil loss. Some 330's just seem to burn oil in spite of having none of the aforementioned problems. My theory is it is because the 330 is a stroker motor. ( a stroked 325) although some may disagree with this. I have owned several strokers, and all burned more oil than before they were stroked.

Solidjake 01-24-2013 05:35 PM

Don't bother. You can do a lot more damage just by changing that.

SJBimmer 01-24-2013 05:37 PM

Hello Jake! Haven't seen you around in a while, How are you?

Solidjake 01-24-2013 05:40 PM

What's up bro! :bigpimp:

Been slapping around noobs on fanatics and busy at work. How have you been?

Stay on topic :eeps: (bob ignore these few posts)

SJBimmer 01-24-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solidjake (Post 7335971)
What's up bro! :bigpimp:

Been slapping around noobs on fanatics and busy at work. How have you been?

Can't complain, Just freezing my a$$ off. LOL Good to see you around here again! and your youtube vids are great. Stay away from the dark side over there, it will mess with your mind! Best wishes for the New Year!!

Fast Bob 01-24-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solidjake (Post 7335971)

We still love you, Jake ! :rofl:

Solidjake 01-24-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJBimmer (Post 7336013)
Can't complain, Just freezing my a$$ off. LOL Good to see you around here again! and your youtube vids are great. Stay away from the dark side over there, it will mess with your mind! Best wishes for the New Year!!

Same here! It's insanely cold. I need to make some new vids which I'll do in the spring. Got a nice DSLR camera over a month ago. Same to you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Bob (Post 7336016)
We still love you, Jake ! :rofl:

:thumbup: What's up Bob. We still never had that lunch.

P_T 01-25-2013 07:20 AM

Hey Jake, I was just up in your neck of the woods for a couple of weeks. Looked around for you but didn't see you around. Did manage to get a meet in with FastBob and CharlesBerry. Sorry to have missed you.

Regarding the oil capacity, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but come on...the oil capacity of our cars is nearly equal to that of a F-350 Turbo diesel. I normally support everyones right to do what they want with their ride, but I respectfully suggest you scrap that idea and look for the leak.

BimmerMan83 01-26-2013 09:42 PM

There is no oil leak, and my only motivation is to address the oil consumption which is about 2-3qt over 12K mile OCI! Appreciate all the feedback, Thanks :)

hitbyastick 01-27-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BimmerMan83 (Post 7340604)
There is no oil leak, and my only motivation is to address the oil consumption which is about 2-3qt over 12K mile OCI! Appreciate all the feedback, Thanks :)

Well then fix the cause of the consumption! Not to be rude but just exactly where do you suppose anyone could get a deeper oil pan? Never heard of the existence of such.

Repair your car and move on. Oh and if you're going more than 7500 miles on an oil change you're doing it wrong. No oil lasts 12k miles, you should have been changing it at half that.