Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E34 (1989 - 1995) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   535i electrical gremlins windows (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672371)

FiatAL 01-25-2013 04:42 PM

535i electrical gremlins windows

My windows and sunroof dont work. I have read the posts about fusible links and fuses and checked them all. My power locks work which means there must be something else. The window motors work when I add 12 v directly to the motors. Also the wipers only work on high and wont park by themselves. I have been working on this off and on for 5 months now.

Even took her to the local BMW guru who charged me 100 bucks and told me they think it may be my ignition switch and wanted 300 to fix it. Not guaranteeing that is what is wrong.

Sort of reminds me of my Army days, engine wont start so start replacing stuff until it works. I dont have the same budget as the government does ,, wait the government doesnt have a budget. Anyway any thoughts out there?

Thanks in advance

1990 535i automatic

BMR_LVR 01-25-2013 04:55 PM

Welcome to the Fest. This is not my forte`, but for some reason this tends to make me think you have a problem with your general module. You might google it to see if that may be the cause.

FiatAL 01-25-2013 05:00 PM

Thanks Steve, I was sort of forced to be here hehe. My son bought this car thinking it would be a quick fix and then turn it over for a profit. After working on it FOR him I am actually liking this car. First BMW I have driven and I will say I love the way it handles. I want to keep it but man I am scratching my head on this one. I own Fiats and am familiar with electrical issues but this one has me stumped.

Appreciate your comment! For the modules, what are the chances I am taking by buying one from ebay? Should I go new? I buy a lot of used parts (Fiat stuff ha) so I am not excited about paying for new electrical stuff for BMW.

Thanks!

BMR_LVR 01-25-2013 05:22 PM

If it were me, I would go to a pick and pull and get a used one. It is not a common fail item of I'm not mistaken.

haolibird 01-25-2013 08:27 PM

Welcome!

Have you searched "Ignition Switch"?
On the E39, any number of crazy things can be caused by a faulty unit.
Mine was bad, and things that could not possibly be related were magically
working, after the replacement.

Anyway, great car!
Love the 535 model.
Gotta be one of the easiest cars to maintain there are.

Aloha!

_Ethrty-Andy_ 01-25-2013 09:46 PM

yep, General module. best bet is to fix the one you have if funds allow, usually just a dry solder or something. otherwise junk yard or buy new from BMW

BMWFatherFigure 01-26-2013 12:03 AM

Clean ign switch contacts with contact cleaner, check, clean and tighten every earth point you can find and then look for the others, there are loads of them. Soulds a bit like dirty terminals and contacts to me. OK it might be the module but these other checks are free..

_Ethrty-Andy_ 01-26-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWFatherFigure (Post 7339116)
Clean ign switch contacts with contact cleaner, check, clean and tighten every earth point you can find and then look for the others, there are loads of them. Soulds a bit like dirty terminals and contacts to me. OK it might be the module but these other checks are free..

you could be correct, but there are two many related problems, and it cannot be the main GM ground because other equipment (i presume) still works like interior lights etc

FiatAL 01-26-2013 05:18 PM

yup the interior lights work. I picked up a used GM and it didnt make any difference. I was able to replace the worn out fan blower motor but very very little heat (another thread I am sure).

Havent checked into the ignition switch as it seems to be working well but I will try that one out too. I enjoy driving this car lotts of power and it is smooth. Also the PO had installed some boomer type stereo system in the car then ripped it all out before they sold it. So it could be any wiring issue behind the dash.

I have enjoyed learning about these cars though. Lots of reading on the internet!

MySatinDoll 01-26-2013 07:02 PM

I agree. DO like the Jets did. Get rid of the GM and Get another.

(Jets should have gotten rid of sanchez too)

BMWFatherFigure 01-27-2013 06:36 PM

Audio wirling is a new nightmare. You will have to sort it from square one. Hope it didn't blow 2 GM's.

paperplane94 01-29-2013 10:53 PM

Power was probably stolen from the non-working components and used for the super cool sound system.

Can you read circuit diagrams? The wire colors are in German:
http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

FiatAL 01-30-2013 07:44 AM

That is worth looking into. Thanks for the diagrams. I will give that a look!

krispy 06-21-2013 10:09 PM

Just wondering if your problem ever got solved. because i am having the same problems i replaced the gm, the fusible link the only thing that ever got fixed was the window wipers would work properly and not only on high.
Also how would you check the ignition switch what do i need to check it also how much would it cost to get it checked at the dealer. Its driving me crazy that i cant roll down the window because i live in the desert.
I drive a 92 525i i love the car to death but fixing this thing is driving me crazy.