Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Adaptive headlamps (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672438)

davewoolley 01-26-2013 04:35 AM

Adaptive headlamps

My driver side light stop working and this warning came up, shop said the whole housing shorted out and quoted 2,500. Should I try changing bulbs first? If not can I do this myself?

bmwoem1 01-26-2013 05:17 AM

Is it the whole light assembly or just the xenon that's not working?

davewoolley 01-26-2013 05:23 AM

The 2 Xeon's are not working but the yellow light is working.

bmwoem1 01-26-2013 05:36 AM

Each headlight has 1 xenon low beam bulb (you said both??). And by yellow bulbs working, I assume you mean the halo (parking) light bulbs. If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like you a bad xenon bulb or xenon igniter. You can swap these from side to side to find your problem. The xenon bulbs are pretty expensive, so be sure before you replace it

roseng 01-26-2013 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davewoolley (Post 7339198)
My driver side light stop working and this warning came up, shop said the whole housing shorted out and quoted 2,500. Should I try changing bulbs first? If not can I do this myself?

It could be as simple as a blown bulb or fuse. Not the easiest change but it can be done from the wheel well.

Is there any moisture ion the assembly? If so, you'll need to pull the bumper, remove the lamp assembly,fixture the moisture issue and on the housing there are 2 modules. The one on the side is for the bulb control. The one on the bottom is for the motor control.

You may find replacements on eBay or but new ones from Tischer. I would replace both bulbs at the same time as they will be different colors if you replace one from aging.

The Angel Eyes are a separate control and that's why there are working.

Don't ask me how i know. :yikes:

davewoolley 01-26-2013 05:41 AM

Is there a DIY on how to change out?

davewoolley 01-26-2013 05:44 AM

There was moisture in the headlight cover and that's why they said it all needed to be replaced.

roseng 01-26-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davewoolley (Post 7339243)
There was moisture in the headlight cover and that's why they said it all needed to be replaced.

Did you do an aftermarket angel eye upgrade or is there a crack? If you did the AEs that's he problem.
There are DIY for most of it but you have to fix the moisture problem first.

davewoolley 01-26-2013 10:03 AM

I haven't replaced or touched anything before they turned off. With that being said I just switched the xeons from driver to passenger side and its not the bulbs. Any advice now?

bmwoem1 01-26-2013 02:30 PM

Did you swap the igniters? It's the box that the xenon bulbs sit in.. If you had water in the headlight then the control units are most likely toast. You might have to take the headlights out and inspect all connectors for corrosion

roseng 01-27-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davewoolley (Post 7339574)
I haven't replaced or touched anything before they turned off. With that being said I just switched the xeons from driver to passenger side and its not the bulbs. Any advice now?

If you swapped the bulbs and ignitors then I think it has to be the module on the housing.

You have to pull the light assembly as you need to get the moisture issue fixed first.