Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   17k Suspension problem? or dealer BS? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672448)

fiatspider2000 01-26-2013 07:46 AM

17k Suspension problem? or dealer BS?

Do E90's have weak front suspensions?

I have 2011 328i non-sport with 17k. Recently noticed wandering on wavy hwy pavements. Dealer re-aligned, but states front left camber can not be put into spec. Claims likely bent control arm or upper shock tower mount damage. Likely from pothole.

Seems fishy to me. I've owned since new. Alignment was in spec (by same dealer) 3 months ago. I would know if I hit a "serious" pothole. Dealer saying no way to visually know...just start replacing parts!

Tips?

On how to check myself?
or on known problems/failures with these suspensions?

CALWATERBOY 01-26-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiatspider2000 (Post 7339341)

I have 2011 328i non-sport with 17k. Recently noticed wandering on wavy hwy pavements. Dealer re-aligned, but states front left camber can not be put into spec. Claims likely bent control arm or upper shock tower mount damage. Likely from pothole.

Seems fishy to me. I've owned since new. Alignment was in spec (by same dealer) 3 months ago. I would know if I hit a "serious" pothole. Dealer saying no way to visually know...just start replacing parts!

Tips?

On how to check myself?

HERE

If dealer's inspected, your oil filled bushings have been viewed and they are not leaking.

If another camber measurement is out o'spec and agrees w/dealer, hey....there's little camber adjustment in front. What's left is what they said but I'm surprised they can't readily ID the bad part[s]. Bent struts have been known to happen.

Speedwagon 01-26-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Tips?

On how to check myself?

Get a second opinion from a different BMW dealer, then go forward! :thumbup:

CALWATERBOY 01-26-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7339356)
HERE

If dealer's inspected, your oil filled bushings have been viewed and they are not leaking.

If another camber measurement is out o'spec and agrees w/dealer, hey....there's little camber adjustment in front. What's left if what they said but I'm surprised they can't readily ID the bad part[s]. Bent struts have been known to happen.

Important DIY note: All wheels must be identical height respective to others.

Not as easy as it sounds. Google for DIY alignment - flat looking areas routinely have 1/2"+ diff in elevation.

Your camber measurement invalid if wheels out o'altitude.

hondo402000 01-26-2013 12:55 PM

I had a brand new toyota 4 runner, and took it to have it aligned at the toyota place at 10k miles they had the car for 2 hours, and they said they couldnt get it to line up and swore the car had been wrecked, I took it to another toyota dealer and they had no problem, alignment systems are computers too, maybe they should have it reprogrammed! Seems thats the standard BMW response when our cars have a problem they cant fix

Hondo,

fiatspider2000 01-26-2013 04:40 PM

Thanks all.
Once the frigid weather passes I'll have a better look myself.
May take to another shop - dealer or Indy.

If anyone knows of common problems with '011 3 series front suspensions, let me know.

pointandgo 01-27-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Tips?

On how to check myself?

"Wavy highway pavements." Where do you live? If you live in the Northwest and drive on the heavily rutted I-5 for example, I think you're in a lot of company. Some parts of CA highways have been "regrooved" lately and tend to produce occasional odd "wandering." The "old" CA rain grooves (that haven't been removed yet) still produce "wandering."

I have an '11 328i and have experienced occasional wandering sensation in CA (Conti RFs), and am quite sure that it would be terrible on the I-5 in Oregon for example as I've driven it before.

spicytofu 01-28-2013 07:24 AM

This happens to me as well. When I come across bumps and bridge gaps, I can feel the car wanting to veer off to the the side. I have to counter steer a little bit to keep the car in my lane. I thought this was weird since with my old car, I just run through everything without a hiccup.

mr_bean 01-28-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spicytofu (Post 7342996)
This happens to me as well. When I come across bumps and bridge gaps, I can feel the car wanting to veer off to the the side. I have to counter steer a little bit to keep the car in my lane. I thought this was weird since with my old car, I just run through everything without a hiccup.

+1
I have noticed that newer BMWs with the two piece front control arms tend to have an inherent "bump steer" effect on uneven surfaces. Kind of annoying. My E46 would roll over these things as if nothing happened. Granted the old design would chew up bushings quickly but I'm not sure the new design is perfect either.

CALWATERBOY 01-28-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_bean (Post 7343048)
+1
I have noticed that newer BMWs with the two piece front control arms tend to have an inherent "bump steer" effect on uneven surfaces. Kind of annoying. My E46 would roll over these things as if nothing happened. Granted the old design would chew up bushings quickly but I'm not sure the new design is perfect either.

You mean the shield? Should have no effect. Shock curve + progressive springs + oil filled bushings will.

hondo402000 01-28-2013 10:32 AM

I think also the tire tread pattern has a significant effect, tires with overlaping tread patterns that break up that single groove might have less of a wandering problem.

Maybe?

anE934fun 01-28-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hondo402000 (Post 7343439)
I think also the tire tread pattern has a significant effect, tires with overlaping tread patterns that break up that single groove might have less of a wandering problem.

Maybe?

Tire compound also contributes. My ex-E93 had sh*tty RFs and wandered until I replaced with non-RF Michelin PSs.