Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   X3 2013 brand new ... RPM dail not working!!!!! Please reply (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672476)

karimsha 01-26-2013 10:26 AM

X3 2013 brand new ... RPM dail not working!!!!! Please reply
 
Today was my first long ride with my brand new x320i... While I was driving and cruising at 140 kmh, I found the RPM Dial reading 0.. And When I acellerate it moves up to 1 or 1.5 maximum which is impossible .. However, when interned of the car and started it again, it read normally.. 15 minutes later, it failed reading again and back to zero ..

Any idea what's the reason for this, and is this something easy to fix like a software or so or is it a hardware issue .? And if it is a hard ware issue, is it normal tomfixmit or shall I ask for replacement .. The care is brand new with no license plates even ..

Please advice..

Thanks

noka 01-26-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karimsha (Post 7339609)
Today was my first long ride with my brand new x320i... While I was driving and cruising at 140 kmh, I found the RPM Dial reading 0.. And When I acellerate it moves up to 1 or 1.5 maximum which is impossible .. However, when interned of the car and started it again, it read normally.. 15 minutes later, it failed reading again and back to zero ..

Any idea what's the reason for this, and is this something easy to fix like a software or so or is it a hardware issue .? And if it is a hard ware issue, is it normal tomfixmit or shall I ask for replacement .. The care is brand new with no license plates even ..

Please advice..

Thanks

First long ride with no license plates? :) Take it to the dealer and hopefully they can reproduce it. Otherwise, maybe make a short video on your phone, to show them. The cars are so complicated, it's difficult to say where the fault lies.

karimsha 01-26-2013 10:42 AM

Thanks for replying
 
Thanks Noka for ur reply.. Regarding the plates issue , it's a traffic issue some documents didn't arrive' I was using a temp plates ..

Video is a good idea , but it was dark and on a high way so I didn't want to interrupt my self ..

What do you mean by reproducing it? Change the car u mean? Is it worth it?

noka 01-26-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karimsha (Post 7339626)
What do you mean by reproducing it? Change the car u mean? Is it worth it?

I mean they will have a more difficult time fixing a problem that they cannot observe. By reproduce, I basically meant that it would be great if it was happening when you brought it in, so they could see it and have a better chance of diagnosing it.

karimsha 01-27-2013 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noka (Post 7339696)
I mean they will have a more difficult time fixing a problem that they cannot observe. By reproduce, I basically meant that it would be great if it was happening when you brought it in, so they could see it and have a better chance of diagnosing it.

Hi,
I have took the car to the dealer this morning. I had another issue poped up which is a PUK sound while pressing the breaks ..
I can't believe it. a brand new BMW has all this in its first week and first 800 Kms..!!!

I was extremely tough with them and I conveyed the message clearly. if its crucial, I will need a replacement .. So i am waiting for the feed back and will let you know .

Cheers

UncleJ 01-27-2013 08:15 AM

You should have no problem getting this fixed -- the tachometer (RPM dial) can be either mechanical or electronic -- I know it is electronic in the gas powered cars but am not sure if the diesels still use the mechanical drive -- since there is no spark ignition system. Good luck and let us know what it turned out to be.:angel:

c3uo 01-27-2013 08:42 AM

Dumb question as I am not sure if this applies to diesels: Are you sure it's not the Auto Start-Stop working a designed?

karimsha 01-28-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3uo (Post 7341233)
Dumb question as I am not sure if this applies to diesels: Are you sure it's not the Auto Start-Stop working a designed?

No it is not of course... I was cruising on a high way at 130 km/h when the RPM needle dropped to ZERO, while the engine sound was humming and I was acceleratiing and teh car responded and the RPM was not moving ..

:p

My car engineis petrol not Disel.. the Dealer said that they will reprogram the car since it did not record any errors regarding the RPM.. I was supposed to pick it up yesterday night, however, they said that they will have to put it on the system for 7 hours with an open line with BMW Germany !! I really dont get what does this mean but it seems to be a husstle..

Moreover, I have a TOK sound when pressing the breaks when moving fornt and rear ... they as well couldn't find the reason for this..

I have filed a complaint to the customer service and copied BMW Germany explaining all the issues . I hope it is of a benifit

noka 01-28-2013 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karimsha (Post 7342678)
No it is not of course... I was cruising on a high way at 130 km/h when the RPM needle dropped to ZERO, while the engine sound was humming and I was acceleratiing and teh car responded and the RPM was not moving ..

:p

My car engineis petrol not Disel.. the Dealer said that they will reprogram the car since it did not record any errors regarding the RPM.. I was supposed to pick it up yesterday night, however, they said that they will have to put it on the system for 7 hours with an open line with BMW Germany !! I really dont get what does this mean but it seems to be a husstle..

Moreover, I have a TOK sound when pressing the breaks when moving fornt and rear ... they as well couldn't find the reason for this..

I have filed a complaint to the customer service and copied BMW Germany explaining all the issues . I hope it is of a benifit

I don't know how the gauge attaches to get a signal but I can imagine some ribbon cable and, if I had to guess, I would say either a loose connection or bad wire in that cable. In any case, it could be a fairly simple fix if they can locate the fault.

UncleJ 01-28-2013 10:04 PM

kar, sorry I didn't know that BMW made a 2.0 gasser for the X3.:yikes:

karimsha 01-31-2013 10:36 AM

UPDATE SITUATION of the RPM Dial Issue
 
Hello There,
Sorry I was late busy at work and the car issue. I picked up my car last Tuesday night after the Engineer in Charge confirmed that a software update was performed to the car.. The RPM Dial Issue did not occur while testing the car although the drove it for 70kms. and they said it didn't happen... Anyways, I had some TOK sound while moving front and rear from the front breaks... A PUMA ticket was issued in 2011 saying that all the F25 Models has such sound whiel breaking during the first 2000 kms which disappears afterwards. The Guy let me try 2 brand new vehicles and YES they had the same sound ..

I took the car and drove 5 kms away from the service center, when the RPM needle dropped again ... :cry::mad::mad::mad:

I called the center and took a video of it .. (check the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBrkicDSjMY )

The second day, they called and told me that the head quarters in Germany approved replacing the cluster.... :tsk: I said ... a Cluster .. in a Brand new Car .. :tsk: No Way .. I wont accept my car to turn into an experiments vehicle>>> I sent a harsh mail to the German Customer Car with the Video ... and I asked for either a Brand new car, or Money Back ...

and Guess what.. They approved replacing the car , but Delivery in 15 days .. So I returned the car to the showroom yesterday and waiting for the New one .. that's Better isn't it ??

Cheers Bavarian Motor Works .

gEEkChris 01-31-2013 10:55 AM

You got a brand new car because the tach didn't work? That's impressive.

karimsha 01-31-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gEEkChris (Post 7350926)
You got a brand new car because the tach didn't work? That's impressive.

I didn't use it ... it was 7 days old when the defect occurred, no registration yet made, and the error occurred at 600 km... and it spent 3 days in the service and it was not fixed .. They took the lump sum of Money ,,, Why should I accept a defected car ..

I bought a new car for my own peace of mind, not to jump in service centers every now and then .. that's my right ..:angel::angel:

UncleJ 02-01-2013 07:42 AM

I am impressed. A new car for a busted tach:yikes:. Makes me wonder if there might have been more to the problem than the shop let on. Oh well, the good guys won one and that is great!:D

karimsha 02-02-2013 01:17 AM

That made me more worried as well
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleJ (Post 7352639)
I am impressed. A new car for a busted tach:yikes:. Makes me wonder if there might have been more to the problem than the shop let on. Oh well, the good guys won one and that is great!:D

Unclej, what you just said even came to my mind... As I mentioned the car stayed in service more than I drove it in 9 days, they were unable to trace the defect, and they report that it is not defected... What made me insist on replacing the care is that since this happens in 9 days, well what could happen in 9 months...!!! I have a believe, if something is defected from day 1 then it will be a trouble for the rest of the time .. Moreover, replacing the care approval took no sweat ...which even made me thought that the issue is beyond a tach...:confused:

UncleJ 02-02-2013 07:52 AM

I think you are right about a troublesome car from day one! You are best out of it and it can be someone else's worry. I think we might be on to something about more problems than discussed though.:( Good luck and enjoy the new ride!:angel:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms