Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Good 335i tune? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672567)

DemoD 01-26-2013 07:16 PM

Good 335i tune?

So I'm looking for a tune for my 11' 335i. I'm between ESS, Cobb, and the JB4. Right now I'm leaning JB4 because of the great reviews and price.

I was hoping to get some opinions on any of the tunes and what you guys would recommend. So if you have any experience with them I'd love to know. If anyone has anything else they'd recommend I'm open to hear that too.

Thanks, D

SuperTerp 01-26-2013 07:25 PM

JB4 is probably the best, personally I like the idea of cobb (even though I have dinan) because you just plug it into the odb2 and let it do its thing.

DemoD 01-26-2013 07:37 PM

Do you know the difference between the JB4 and Cobb? I feel like they both have maps you can chose from so they're pretty similar.

CALWATERBOY 01-27-2013 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemoD (Post 7340361)
Do you know the difference between the JB4 and Cobb? I feel like they both have maps you can chose from so they're pretty similar.

I like my JB4 Meth map + integrated meth hardware.

Does Cobb have that?

I like switching maps and/or going back to stock map at the press of a steering wheel button, even if driving.

Does Cobb have that?

Etc.

Procede used to be the only competition worth mention - what happened there?

E92-Lighting 01-28-2013 10:36 AM

cobb

bear-avhistory 01-28-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7340783)
Procede used to be the only competition worth mention - what happened there? [

Besides being overpriced it was mostly due to customer service going into the toilet. Case study of one time industry leader tanking.

ModBargains III 01-28-2013 12:12 PM

COBB Accessport... Hands down, is the most convenient, easiest to use, and makes excellent power as well. Of course you don't have to take my word for it, you can do a few searches online for it on this forum, and you'll see a lot of guys are running COBB as well, and with great responses.

http://www.modbargains.com/zoom_img/_1298634764.jpg
*Cobb AccessPORT ECU Flash Tuner BMW N54 135i/335i/535i/1M/Z4 (AP-BMW-001)

http://www.modbargains.com/images/Pr...-535i-Dyno.jpg

Features & Advantages
Up horsepower by 30% (approximately 100 horsepower)
Increase torque by 38% (approximately 120 Ft./lbs)
ECU flash, not a piggy-back tune
Installs in minutes using easy to use AcessPORT interface
Installs via OBDII connector, no tools required
Grows and changes as your modifications do
Uninstalls in minutes to return your ECU to stock configuration
Conveniently log data values for up to 10 hours without a bulky laptop
Integrated performance tools to record 0-60 times, 1/4 ET & trap speed
Intuitive DTC code reading to help diagnose issues
Easily clear ECU codes
30 day satisfaction guarantee
Downloadable free performance maps as released

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! - 714.582.3330 extension 8002, or ask for Jurrian!

CALWATERBOY 01-28-2013 12:28 PM

re: Procede BMW Tune

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear-avhistory (Post 7343360)
Besides being overpriced it was mostly due to customer service going into the toilet. Case study of one time industry leader tanking.

So Cobb took their place -- having no added hardware to detect by BMW dealers sets it apart.

But the rest of the story is a list of disadvantages vs JB4. Cobb's deep access software is $3,000....in addition.

What's the cost of Cobb hand held OBDII unit replacement? Misplaced or 'borrowed,' that's one big matzah hangin' in the wind.

HPIA4v2 01-28-2013 01:10 PM

Guys, I believe OP has N55 not N54 engine, all mods so far produce far less increase in HP/Torque. Cobb only promise 11% and 18% HP and torque respectively; gone the day of 50HP+ gain ala in N54 with a single tune. N55 proves to be more resistant to tune.
I'll say wait until someone crack the gate open.

CALWATERBOY 01-28-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 (Post 7343654)
Guys, I believe OP has N55 not N54 engine, all mods so far produce far less increase in HP/Torque. Cobb only promise 11% and 18% HP and torque respectively; gone the day of 50HP+ gain ala in N54 with a single tune. N55 proves to be more resistant to tune.
I'll say wait until someone crack the gate open.

Haven't paid much attention, but a glance at the JB4's N55 Page shows the larger gains are there.

ModBargains.com 01-28-2013 01:32 PM

Both the JB4 N55 and COBB are great choices. It ultimately comes down to what you're looking to do. The JB4 is a piggy back where as the COBB is a flash tuner. The Cobb is much easier to install and to most, it is considered to be more user friendly. You also get free updates for life and all updates can be downloaded straight to your handheld unit from your PC/Mac. JB units will always require hardware upgrades which do cost more money (ie. JB4 stage 1 to stage 2 or JB3 to JB4).

Cobb N55 stage 1 Peak Gains
Aggressive: 11%HP / 25%TQ
Sport: 3%HP / 14%TQ

Cobb N55 stage 1 Max Gains
Aggressive: 18%HP / 26%TQ @3200
Sport: 10%HP / 14%TQ @3200

JB4 N55:
up to 60hp to the wheels (80hp crank) on a completely stock car or up to 100hp to the wheels (120hp crank) on a fully modified car

CALWATERBOY 01-28-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModBargains.com (Post 7343706)
Both the JB4 N55 and COBB are great choices. It ultimately comes down to what you're looking to do. The JB4 is a piggy back where as the COBB is a flash tuner. The Cobb is much easier to install and to most, it is considered to be more user friendly. You also get free updates for life and all updates can be downloaded straight to your handheld unit from your PC/Mac. JB units will always require hardware upgrades which do cost more money (ie. JB4 stage 1 to stage 2 or JB3 to JB4).

I update my JB4 firmware with a laptop & USB cable - updates are downloadable, no charge.

bear-avhistory 01-28-2013 02:04 PM

COBB is an easier install but so far its not producing what JB4 does horsepower wise nor does it have the in-car features of the JB4. That's a trade off only the final user can put a price on. In my case 1/2 hour work was not a reason to go to a flash tune. As for upgrades I went from a JB4 to a JB4 G5 for a combined cost that is less then the initial purchase price of a COBB.

There has only been AFAIK 3 versions JB3, JB4 & JB4/G5. There have been many many free updates to both firmware & software. You can still get free firmware/software updates for all the versions so they are not obsoleting them just enhancing the features.

Thing you really need to think about on retail vendors recommendation is who has the most to gain buy advising the purchase of a more expensive product. As we all have said before they are both good systems designed for different user requirements. Personally I do not believe that some one who can't install a piggy back should be doing any modification to their cars, but that's just me.

A few this left out of the post above:

Over 15,000 in use and tens of millions of customer miles driven.

Features: code reading/deleting, optional in dash boost, timing, air/fuel, shift light, and IAT gauges, autotuning, a buttery smooth new CANbus based integrated boost control system, optional isolated boost control, map switching on the fly via steering wheel controls, built in downpipe fix, hot/cold oil temperature protection, progressive methanol integration, water pump remapping, gear dependent boost control/traction assist, and much more to come with free firmware updates uploaded using a windows laptop (or mac w/ windows emulator) and BMS USB cable. For those who have access to E85 (ethanol) fuels the JB4 will automatically tune itself for them yielding huge power gains over pump gas alone. In addition a speed limit defeat, manual transmission 2STEP rev limiter, and manual transmission no lift shifting can be enabled by adding in an extra harness.

daytrader 01-28-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModBargains.com (Post 7343706)

Cobb N55 stage 1 Peak Gains
Aggressive: 11%HP / 25%TQ
Sport: 3%HP / 14%TQ

Cobb N55 stage 1 Max Gains
Aggressive: 18%HP / 26%TQ @3200
Sport: 10%HP / 14%TQ @3200

JB4 N55:
up to 60hp to the wheels (80hp crank) on a completely stock car or up to 100hp to the wheels (120hp crank) on a fully modified car

Oh, what the hell! ;)
Dinan N55
Stg3: 373HP /408 TQ at crank
Stg2: 355HP / 401TQ at crank

bear-avhistory 01-28-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daytrader (Post 7343792)
Oh, what the hell! ;)
Dinan N55

Minus 15% to get on the same page as all the other tunes. :)

daytrader 01-28-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daytrader (Post 7343792)
Oh, what the hell! ;)
Dinan N55

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear-avhistory (Post 7343848)
Minus 15% to get on the same page as all the other tunes. :)

Like I said, at the crank. :angel:

bear-avhistory 01-28-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daytrader (Post 7343874)
Like I said, at the crank. :angel:

I know that, you know that but other readers might not know that. Had a multipage thread with a Dinan user before he understood the difference.

Since all the aftermarket tuners use WHP as the industry standard many people think Dinan is a much stronger tune than it really is.

The Dinan advertising is a bit misleading to those who do not understand WHP vs BHP/CHP

LarkHouston 01-28-2013 04:03 PM

There is nothing misleading about it. They make their claims quite clear. To take off on a similar thought of yours, if a purchaser doesn't understand the difference, he shouldn't be buying it.

And I know, you are just going to dismiss me as someone who has drunk the Dinan Kool-Aid, but I just felt more comfortable with the Dinan reputation and warranty. And I am not looking to get into a debate about it, but I have observed your constant criticism of Dinan. My observation is that most people, not saying you, buy JB4 or Cobb because they believe the need to be undetectable is an important feature. I believe it is wrong for JB4 and Cobb to advertise that it is undetectable and encourage it be removed and the codes cleared before you take it to the dealer with blown turbos or whatever. I just happen to believe that if you want to play the mod game you should accept the consequences of your actions and not try and hide it. Those who do cost every BMW owner money in increased warranty costs. Dinan is upfront and installed at BMW dealerships for the most part. That's just my .02 cents.

bear-avhistory 01-28-2013 05:18 PM

^^^ No debate here you are entitled to you opinion.

IMHO Dinan is an expensive insurance policy with a mediocre performance package attached. I know a lot of people are happy paying the freight to feel comfortable, nothing wrong with that. Others who are familiar with performance enhancements don't want to pay $5300 to Dinan for 38whp less than can be purchased for $500 from other vendors who are not in the insurance business.

I can't speak to other peoples motives but I do know for the difference between the Dinan $5300 & BMS $500 I could buy a set of high performance turbos to replace blown stock units & most likely get change back.

daytrader 01-28-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear-avhistory (Post 7344227)
^^^ No debate here you are entitled to you opinion.

IMHO Dinan is an expensive insurance policy with a mediocre performance package attached. I know a lot of people are happy paying the freight to feel comfortable but others who are familiar with performance enhancements don't want to pay $5300 to Dinan for 38whp less than can be purchased for $500 from other vendors who are not in the insurance business.

Apples to apples, the S3 software pkg on it's own runs $2200 for the N54 motor when purchased w/o warranty that excludes the OC prerequisite. Which puts you in the same boat as everyone else, ie on the hook for damages, but even then I would still consider it the safest tune available relativity speaking. But add in the FMIC and OC, ($1400, $1300) and you have a very respectable, reliable long term DD rocket. Important to me as I plan to keep my car 7-10yrs and/or about 100K in miles if possible. Therefore Dinan is a worth wild investment for me.

CALWATERBOY 01-28-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daytrader (Post 7344317)
Apples to apples, the S3 software pkg on it's own runs $2200 for the N54 motor when purchased w/o warranty that excludes the OC prerequisite. Which puts you in the same boat as everyone else, ie on the hook for damages, but even then I would still consider it the safest tune available relativity speaking. But add in the FMIC and OC, ($1400, $1300) and you have a very respectable, reliable long term DD rocket. Important to me as I plan to keep my car 7-10yrs and/or about 100K in miles if possible. Therefore Dinan is a worth wild investment for me.

My diesel laughs at 100k mi goals.....should hit 500k mi this year, maybe early next. Steadfastly refuses to break. Now replacing driver's seat leather + steering wheel, worn out.

Really, I thought 400k would be the max afore major maint. Wrong-o!

FYI: JB4 & integrated Meth from BMS $1k - mighty fun; better than any Dinan, the latter premium priced throughout the line. Running, what, ~450 hp & 450 ft lb torque....heck I don't even know. Runs sweet, so, hard t'care!

SuperTerp 01-28-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7344390)
FYI: JB4 & integrated Meth from BMS $1k - mighty fun; better than any Dinan, the latter premium priced throughout the line. Running, what, ~450 hp & 450 ft lb torque....

lol for someone who knows what they're doing! I only just figured out how to change the oil on our portable generator :rofl: and I did that wrong cause it spilled on the grass out of the plastic oil pan :rofl:

I'm like the cole trickle of BMW's :p

bear-avhistory 01-28-2013 06:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by daytrader (Post 7344317)
but even then I would still consider it the safest tune available relativity speaking. .

Why? The other systems can also produce the same WHP & torque numbers as Dinan if you lower the boost parameters. It would take as long as it would take to type in the new boost numbers.

daytrader 01-28-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear-avhistory (Post 7344452)
Why? The other systems can also produce the same WHP & torque numbers as Dinan if you lower the boost parameters. It would take as long as it would take to type in the new boost numbers.

A good point - as you can tailor your boost in a JB4 system, but it's not just all about boost, it's not the only performance characteristic Dinan addresses in its software program(if I read the website correctly).

Anyone can increase boost to the sky but at what costs? Dinan maintains many other engine parameters that it controls to safely protect longevity, but if this is true with a JB4 system then you don't have anything to worry about.

groundeffect 01-28-2013 08:47 PM

Just to add to what daytrader stated, the Dinan tune alters some 2000 lines of code affecting the whole gamut of ecu controlled processes.Many a tweak other than turbo boost is being
accomplished. Now as to doing it yourself etc..ahh-with a $60000 car, I'd rather it done correctly. Hey, I drive-I appreciate the expertise of those who fix(or enhance).

Not to say I wouldn't put in a jb product myself-but I was pretty happy to have tweaked an already awesome as is.. . coupe with an intact warranty* (as per Dinan etc)
To each their own. I wasn't looking for a racing car-would have gone another route if I were.
Cheers