Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   About to be 750Li owner! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672570)

stuart27 01-26-2013 06:36 PM

About to be 750Li owner!

Ok guys first post and my first BMW!

I've just come over from the UK to Houston and will be working here for a few years. My recent rides have been a Jaguar XJR and lately a Merc CL500. I've always been a bit apathetic towards BMW but given my new situation and 100 mile per day commute, I wanted something that would make the journey a bit more bearable and interesting!

I started doing some research and kept coming back to the 750Li. I narrowed down my search and found "the one" today. A 2007 car with 78k miles and full service history....really nice condition and only 2 owners.

Having had a CL500 before, I'm under no illusions about cost of ownership of such cars! I just love the car....it didn't break the bank and it's been well looked after. My CL500 was 12 years old and still driving beautifully. I've seen a lot of posts describing abject terror at cars with >80k miles. I figure that with all the technology and Engineering in these cars....they should be good for 200k miles plus. I used to use a limo company who were using volvos with 350k miles and they were still going strong. My experience has always been that it's the care, not the miles that's important.

Anyway...will be picking the car up in a week or so and will post an update.:) Wish me luck!

sbb

wjjklj 01-26-2013 06:54 PM

Welcome!

sanhonda22 01-26-2013 09:11 PM

I've always loved CL's or all body styles. Welcome and congrats

quarterto8 01-27-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart27 (Post 7340359)
Ok guys first post and my first BMW!

I've just come over from the UK to Houston and will be working here for a few years. My recent rides have been a Jaguar XJR and lately a Merc CL500. I've always been a bit apathetic towards BMW but given my new situation and 100 mile per day commute, I wanted something that would make the journey a bit more bearable and interesting!

I started doing some research and kept coming back to the 750Li. I narrowed down my search and found "the one" today. A 2007 car with 78k miles and full service history....really nice condition and only 2 owners.

Having had a CL500 before, I'm under no illusions about cost of ownership of such cars! I just love the car....it didn't break the bank and it's been well looked after. My CL500 was 12 years old and still driving beautifully. I've seen a lot of posts describing abject terror at cars with >80k miles. I figure that with all the technology and Engineering in these cars....they should be good for 200k miles plus. I used to use a limo company who were using volvos with 350k miles and they were still going strong. My experience has always been that it's the care, not the miles that's important.

Anyway...will be picking the car up in a week or so and will post an update.:) Wish me luck!

sbb

Welcome to Bimmerfest and Houston! Which area do you live by?? I'm in Clearlake which south Houston and been living here for 4 years now. Ill message you my contact information.

stuart27 01-27-2013 07:49 PM

Hello

I'm staying in midtown at the moment, but moving to the Woodlands mid Feb.

I know clearlake as I've stayed down there a few times. I work over Baytwon way.

sbb

greco2000 01-27-2013 07:57 PM

Good luck dude! Hope you have a big emergency account! Lol. Problem with these cars are that every little problem is a big problem. The year I sold my 7 series, I dumped just under 8 grand in maintenance that year. There is a reason why a $120,000 drops to 25,000 after 5 short years. You will love the car though. When it drives well, it drives like a dream. Unlike any other! When it breaks down, she will be your worst nightmare!

stuart27 01-27-2013 08:52 PM

Yeah I hear you!

The trouble is, life is too short to drive camry's, altima's ...and even challengers to be brutally honest! Not that there is anything wrong with these fine vehicles!

I figure I'm spending a relatively small sum for an exceptional car.....I expect high maintenance bills and repairs, but then I have no brats to waste my money on, so why not?! As long as the cooled seats are working during the Houston summer to keep my ass icy cold......I'll be happy. ;)

I would feel worse if I was the one shelling out 100k on a new 750li and seeing the depreciation over the next 3 years. I'll let someone else do that. :eek:

As mentioned in my post, I've owned a few high end cars in my time and have had some kind of trouble with just about all of them. However, I've never broken down or had any kind of major mechanical failure. It's all been cosmetic or minor electrical gremlins. I hope thats because I've chosen well maintained cars and carried on that maintenance during my ownership. Sure the 750 li is a particularly complex car, but these forums tend to polarise opinions and you hear plenty of the bad and less of the good.

Of course, I may end up having to eat my words, but at least I go in with my eyes open.

sbb

Nygel 01-27-2013 09:11 PM

Where in Baytown? I live on the north side by the mall. FYI the commute to Baytown will be murder. You will have to give youself two hours one way.

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App

stuart27 02-01-2013 11:58 AM

2 hrs one way??! I did it in 55 minutes! To Bayway drive.

I know there will be days when it will be a lot worse, but 2 hrs is being just a tad pessimistic!:eek:

Pick the car up tomorrow.:)

sbb