Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   07 530i jerk forward when coming to a stop Please HELP (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672663)

JOHNNY2271 01-27-2013 11:17 AM

07 530i jerk forward when coming to a stop Please HELP

Hi all, I'm new on this forum and try doing a search for this as well but ended up with no answer to my question.

I just got a 2007 530i and notice that when I'm driving the car and coming to a red light or stop the car jerks forward a little right before I stop? I had seen some people with this problem but has anyone gotten it taken care of and what had to be done or replace for this problem to go away ? Any help will be great ! :dunno:
THANKS
John

JOHNNY2271 01-27-2013 11:54 AM

Anyone ?

H F 01-27-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNNY2271 (Post 7341474)
Anyone ?

i had the same problem on my 545.. at the time it was still under waranty.. once they updated the tranny software the problem went away.....

JOHNNY2271 01-27-2013 12:49 PM

Thank you H F, by any chance do you know if the tranny software can only be done at BMW ? I'm new to BMW sorry for the rookie questions.
Thanks John

H F 01-27-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNNY2271 (Post 7341554)
Thank you H F, by any chance do you know if the tranny software can only be done at BMW ? I'm new to BMW sorry for the rookie questions.
Thanks John

not sure.. it would b worth it,,,, to find out if a indy shop can update the tranny. keep reading the posts on this site u will defitnatly learn a tremondous amount. this is a great site.. evryone is willing to help and some of these guys are pretty informative. ive learned more about my 545 in the last 6 months from reading here,,, than i have in the 5 years that ived owned it.... keep looking thru the posts theres alot of info on ur exact issue....

Vapiano 01-27-2013 02:05 PM

This site is amazing, lots to learn for sure.

JOHNNY2271 01-27-2013 02:20 PM

Thanks for the info guys

SFbay 01-27-2013 02:29 PM

Replace your mechatronik adapter

JOHNNY2271 01-27-2013 02:54 PM

SFBAY did you have to replace your mechatronic adapter to get this problem fix on your car ? and if so does the adapter cost a lot ?
Thanks John

schpenxel 01-27-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNNY2271 (Post 7341554)
Thanks John

It CAN be done outside of the dealerships, but they are probably your best bet. WinKFP software can do the upgrade but I've never been brave enough to try it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFbay (Post 7341689)
Replace your mechatronik adapter

Do you mean sealing sleeve?

JOHNNY2271 01-27-2013 05:09 PM

well i'm going to check out this problem this week and will make sure to post the info and what was fix for anyone who is having the same problem.

SFbay 01-27-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNNY2271 (Post 7341719)
SFBAY did you have to replace your mechatronic adapter to get this problem fix on your car ? and if so does the adapter cost a lot ?
Thanks John

Yes it did fix my and many others tranny issues. Software update won't do a sht.
25$ adapter
23$ sleeve
Dealer knows these parts

JOHNNY2271 01-27-2013 06:02 PM

Thank you SFBAY going to check this out 1st thing tomorrow morning.

Frenchyrider267 01-27-2013 06:07 PM

I'm sure there's more to it than just replacing the adapter and sleeve. Will you have to clean it out with isopropyl alcohol, parts cleaner or anything like that? It's my understanding that its the degraded sleeve allowing trans fluid in the connection creating the tranny malfunction/jerk. Is this correct?

pcy 01-28-2013 08:45 AM

Sleeve (electrical connector to the mechatronics unit on the transmission) itself is not the problem. The o-rings on the sleeve degrade and allows the trans fluid to seep out.

Leaking sleeve in itself doesn't cause transmission problems. If the leakage is severe enough and enough fluid has leaked out, DUE TO LOW TRANS FLUID, transmission starts to have problems.

If you don't see any leakage around the sleeve, then it's not causing the trans problems. It's easy to see if the sleeve is leaking.

SFbay 01-28-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcy (Post 7343042)
Sleeve (electrical connector to the mechatronics unit on the transmission) itself is not the problem. The o-rings on the sleeve degrade and allows the trans fluid to seep out.

Leaking sleeve in itself doesn't cause transmission problems. If the leakage is severe enough and enough fluid has leaked out, DUE TO LOW TRANS FLUID, transmission starts to have problems.

If you don't see any leakage around the sleeve, then it's not causing the trans problems. It's easy to see if the sleeve is leaking.

Exactly. But even if it leaks you can add fluid and you'll be fine for a while, but mechatronik adapter is way way more important, bc it's responsible for fluid pressure inside!

schpenxel 01-28-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcy (Post 7343042)

I was coming in here to say exactly that...

A seal leaking does NOT make the transmission do weird things. A low fluid level (caused by leaking seal) on the other hand..

He is right--if it's leaking enough to be the source of your issue, it's pretty noticeable

JoeFromPA 01-28-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNNY2271 (Post 7341420)
Hi all, I'm new on this forum and try doing a search for this as well but ended up with no answer to my question.

I just got a 2007 530i and notice that when I'm driving the car and coming to a red light or stop the car jerks forward a little right before I stop? I had seen some people with this problem but has anyone gotten it taken care of and what had to be done or replace for this problem to go away ? Any help will be great ! :dunno:
THANKS
John

Hi John,

My 08 535xit I just got has the same symptom that feels like a shudder right as I come to a stop. Please let me know if you get a fix for it.

SFbay 01-28-2013 03:33 PM

Ppl, don't even think that software update will fix anything.
You had a car for a while and for some reason your sw crashed, or what??? This is ridiculous to think that sw is related, was it what hacked through Internet, or what happened to the old sw??

JOHNNY2271 01-28-2013 05:02 PM

Hi everyone, so this morning i went to my shop and try getting this done but the guy was supper busy. I'm going back tomorrow morning to check for low tranny fluid level and any types of leaks. I just got this car not more then a week ago, I just hope it nothing big for i have big plans for the car. I will keep everyone posted for those who has this problem as soon as i know more.

*joefrompa i can msg you as soon as i know more info tomorrow morning.
*bmwoem1 thanks for reaching out to me, I live in Brooklyn but if it does come down to a software update i will hit you up for sure and meet up with you. But as a master tech have you seen these problems on the 5 series before and if so what are the steps to checking/ treating the problem. Thanks again!

H F 01-28-2013 05:45 PM

We'll,, a transmission update fixed that issue on my car and it has never surged comming to a stop again,, and its been over three years since the update was done..So.... i can say for a fact,,,, that a update fixed the problem. and,, have read post here of updates also fixing surging issues on other cars,,,,
i think it depends on wat the problem is... if u dont change ur tranny fluid the silenoids get clogged and can make ur trany surge at different times and speeds ,,,

Frenchyrider267 01-28-2013 06:01 PM

Okay, we'll I think I know what I need to do then.

-fluid/filter change (I'm at 110k miles)
-change sleeve/o-rings/adapter
-ensure fluid is at proper level when filling.
-reset adaptions.

That's all right?

H F 01-28-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchyrider267 (Post 7344327)
Okay, we'll I think I know what I need to do then.

-fluid/filter change (I'm at 110k miles)
-change sleeve/o-rings/adapter
-ensure fluid is at proper level when filling.
-reset adaptions.

That's all right?

i think frequent fluid change is crutial on these high tech trannys im at 90,000 and just did my 3rd fluid change..

schpenxel 01-28-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H F (Post 7344290)
We'll,, a transmission update fixed that issue on my car and it has never surged comming to a stop again,, and its been over three years since the update was done..So.... i can say for a fact,,,, that a update fixed the problem. and,, have read post here of updates also fixing surging issues on other cars,,,,
i think it depends on wat the problem is... if u dont change ur tranny fluid the silenoids get clogged and can make ur trany surge at different times and speeds ,,,

Do you know which version you were using when you had issues and what they upgraded you to? I am at V36 right now.

Vapiano 01-28-2013 07:02 PM

Interesting thread; I am going to change out my transmission fluid in the next few weeks. At 60k miles it seems that this will be considered preventive maintenance. I understand that swapping out the tranny fluid in these cars is somewhat a complicated process and you never really get all the gunk out.