Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Reviving a flood damage E70 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672859)

katanaplanet 01-28-2013 08:45 AM

Reviving a flood damage E70

2103 X5 which was flooded on the lot.
I have cleaned up inside after taking pretty much everything out and engine compartment. Replaced fluids, hand turned engine. Now the fun part of elctronics! I have replaced front and rear fuse panels. All the light on the dash light up when I put the key. The climate control, interior lights etc work. No power to command system, headlights, power seats, windows,doors, and engine. I also changed liftgate module which is working fine. where else shall I look for a major source of power distribution, before going to next step?
Thanks.

tribecaX5 01-28-2013 09:34 AM

Report it to the insurance company if you haven't done it already. The car is toast. I would not even bother with it. Speaking from experience (Sandy).

Unless you're buying this car flooded so you can somehow flip it for reuse or resale. Then you're talking major expenses before it comes back to life again.

serge1 01-28-2013 09:35 AM

So, no insurance?

gresch 01-28-2013 09:45 AM

Wow, I would never undertake this type of project. The potential headaches are astronomical.

katanaplanet 01-28-2013 09:47 AM

That helps!

gresch 01-28-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katanaplanet (Post 7343330)
That helps!

Sorry man, but not many if anyone has undertaken this type of project I would assume.

Very good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

ndabunka 01-28-2013 10:10 AM

If you are not already mechanically knowledgeable regarding BMWs, you are not going to be able to gather enough info on this site to tackle such a massive project. Electronics on these particular vehicles is NOT like the wiring in a 1970 Chevy pickup. As you can see... It's not worth it no matter what the cost of the vehicle was.

Kzang 01-28-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gresch (Post 7343375)
Sorry man, but not many if anyone has undertaken this type of project I would assume.

Very good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

No kidding.. most of us aren't engineers, mechanics, electricians, let alone BMW certified...
Good luck.

jashearer 01-28-2013 10:27 AM

Everyone is quick to shoot you down... :(

I would try to find a shop manual ASAP and start tracing wiring from the battery, chase it until you lose power at a given control module or power block. Hopefully you still have the interior torn apart, or chasing wires isn't going to be fun.

I think you posted a while ago about taking on this project right? I'm sure you got a smoking deal on the car, considering the hours and $$$s you'll have to put in, but in the end if you can figure it out, you'll have a great experience and hopefully a decent ride.

Have you stumbled through RealOEM.com, might help you with troubleshooting.

Good Luck!!!!

Jay

bxmxwx 01-28-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jashearer (Post 7343432)
Everyone is quick to shoot you down... :(

I would try to find a shop manual ASAP and start tracing wiring from the battery, chase it until you lose power at a given control module or power block. Hopefully you still have the interior torn apart, or chasing wires isn't going to be fun.

I think you posted a while ago about taking on this project right? I'm sure you got a smoking deal on the car, considering the hours and $$$s you'll have to put in, but in the end if you can figure it out, you'll have a great experience and hopefully a decent ride.

Have you stumbled through RealOEM.com, might help you with troubleshooting.

Good Luck!!!!

Jay

That is the "easy" part. Then you start dealing with computers that malfunction b/c of residue on circuit boards, false sensor readouts, and a ton of other ghostly and difficult to isolate issues induced by water related damage. Simple wire integrity is not enough for this car that has more computers than a space shuttle onboard. Sincere good luck to the OP, but the advice to stay clear from such a project comes so loud for a reason.

jashearer 01-28-2013 11:50 AM

In no way was my post meant to imply that it would be simple continuity testing.

I'm assuming if you find a module that is power in, no power out I would suggest replacing it, unless you are an electrical engineer and can pull it apart and diagnose the failure. Like I said, lots of $$$ and in the end you may end up replacing more then necessary, but like I said, I'm guessing he got a smoking deal.

My guess is, most of the "STAY AWAY" messages here are from folks that don't even do their own oil changes... just a guess. No offense meant to folks that value their time more then the dealer rate, but there are a band of folks that enjoy tinkering and the end is worth the journey.

He's asking an enthusiast forum for ideas... that's not out of the ordinary right? I've diagnosed lots of things using other peoples experience.

Jay

NoI4plz 01-28-2013 11:55 AM

Didn't you purchase a 535xi w/ x5

bxmxwx 01-28-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jashearer (Post 7343602)
In no way was my post meant to imply that it would be simple continuity testing.

I'm assuming if you find a module that is power in, no power out I would suggest replacing it, unless you are an electrical engineer and can pull it apart and diagnose the failure. Like I said, lots of $$$ and in the end you may end up replacing more then necessary, but like I said, I'm guessing he got a smoking deal.

My guess is, most of the "STAY AWAY" messages here are from folks that don't even do their own oil changes... just a guess. No offense meant to folks that value their time more then the dealer rate, but there are a band of folks that enjoy tinkering and the end is worth the journey.

He's asking an enthusiast forum for ideas... that's not out of the ordinary right? I've diagnosed lots of things using other peoples experience.

Jay

Of course. And it is his choice, I hope, not a necessity, as the cost of new modules (and what is worse - unpredictability of results) will quickly kill any super deal.

On the other hand, I think I would very much want to play with the 2103 model year X5, even flooded :p

tribecaX5 01-28-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoI4plz (Post 7343617)
Didn't you purchase a 535xi w/ x5

Now I remember this guy. Didn't this guy say that he's a doctor or something like that? It's been months since he's purchased these "great deals" as hobby projects and I see he's still nowhere with this project.

Sorry to repeat it again and to disappoint the OP but no matter how much time you spend on these cars, the cost and problems will be, like someone here said, "astronomical".

SFbay 01-28-2013 01:27 PM

Don't listen to anyone here. I have restored 3 bmws after flooding.
First you need inpa and find out which modules are not responding.
Usually most of the problems sit in the glovebox compartment and everything on the floor, under floor carpet.
My advice:
Remove everything inside and inspect every module with inpa, also wash it with wd40 at least or some other water removal fluids.
I restored e65 in 2005, the car was 2002, believe it or not but it's still running fine.

tribecaX5 01-28-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jashearer (Post 7343602)

Jay

You don't know what you're talking about. Most of us don't change our own oil. Hell, I don't know a single BMW owner that changes their own oil and I know a ton of BMW owners. Who changes their own oil nowadays? It's not even worth doing anything like that. Whoever can afford an X5 does not change their own oil.

You're telling an amateur (the OP) who has zero experience with BMW to revive a flooded BMW X5 with a ton of electrical components that sometimes even BMW dealers themselves have problems figuring them out? Why give the OP any hope? He's not asking how to change a bulb. I am telling you my X5 was flooded during Sandy and had similar symptoms as OP's car, so just out of curiosity I asked a few local shops if the car can be fixed and they all laughed at me and said they would not pay $50 for it, and they fix cars for a living.

katanaplanet 01-28-2013 02:55 PM

That "OP" has custom built motorcycles, changed timing belts, painted cars etc. has fully equipped 5 car garage to work with most of the tools. If I asked for an advice regarding electronics which I am not familiar with(at this point) why did everyone start a debate? Changing your own oil etc is your business as is mine buying two flooded cars. If I were trying to sell it here then you were right with your two cents.
If you think you have nothing to add with respect to the topic just read and move on!!
BTW I had a lot if people warming me when I started buying high end properties at court(you never know what kinda problems you are getting into, damage done by people, six figure investment getting stuck in something you have not see etc etc). After making millions in five years no one days anything!!
Now I will be advised in that case you can afford to buy new cars!!

SFbay 01-28-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katanaplanet (Post 7344028)
That "OP" has custom built motorcycles, changed timing belts, painted cars etc. has fully equipped 5 car garage to work with most of the tools. If I asked for an advice regarding electronics which I am not familiar with(at this point) why did everyone start a debate? Changing your own oil etc is your business as is mine buying two flooded cars. If I were trying to sell it here then you were right with your two cents.
If you think you have nothing to add with respect to the topic just read and move on!!
BTW I had a lot if people warming me when I started buying high end properties at court(you never know what kinda problems you are getting into, damage done by people, six figure investment getting stuck in something you have not see etc etc). After making millions in five years no one days anything!!

+100 I admire this type of ppl.

You will restore for sure if your hands grow from the right place.
If you have any questions let me know.

tribecaX5 01-28-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katanaplanet (Post 7344028)

Impressive http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx...95k2o1_400.gif

katanaplanet 01-28-2013 04:34 PM

Thanks a lot SFbay. I dont know why it turned in to a bashing match.

ard 01-28-2013 04:48 PM

katana-

I was wondering when you'd come back...

for those that missed it: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=666189 Read the whole thing.

Now, I have deep doubts you will be successful. I think you will get it running, but will have issues until you dump it. But, I love the idea that someone that has no clue will attempt this-

I really have no suggestions other than gaining access to schematics and BMW programming tools and snooping around the car to find bad modules. Also, did you check every fusable link? Do you have the schematics? Sometimes there are major fuses NOT in the fuse panel.

To everyone else- be dicks and he will go away, and we'll never know what happens!

A

twizzleraddict 01-28-2013 05:35 PM

Encouraging OP to keep with the updates. I love these sorts of rebuild/restoration efforts (my uncle rebuilt an old 67' SL Merc from the ground up and it was a sweet ride) so know the efforts and joys that will come from getting it fully restored.

katanaplanet, do you have pics while you are doing this? It would make an epic thread.

katanaplanet 01-28-2013 06:01 PM

I have pics of cars submerged in water, stuck in park on the truck, slowly all the stuff coming out etc. IF I am successful I will do a write up. I have learned a lot from forums (Land Rover, Mercedes, Lexus, Harley etc), and to some extent tried to contribute too. Never had so many people look down, make fun. Grow up guys!! The point you are trying to make is a pretty obvious one.
As far as the car is concerned its not as bad as you guys are making it. Engine is perfect. Exterior is new. Interior is pretty much back to original.
I have replaced some of the modules. Rest I will attempt one by one. If in the end I am unsuccessful its not end of the world.

Penguin 01-28-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribecaX5 (Post 7343834)
Who changes their own oil nowadays? It's not even worth doing anything like that.

Me.

I do it because I do a better job of it than the dealer or an oil change place.

Penguin 01-28-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katanaplanet (Post 7344482)
If in the end I am unsuccessful its not end of the world.

Good luck, you have a difficult task ahead for many reasons, once of which is how zealously BMW guards it's technical data, claiming it is all proprietary. They are one of the few, perhaps only, manuacturers which will not do a deal with alldata to sell technical data to repair shops and individuals.

As mentioned by others earlier, your task will be much easier if you can obtain the ability to read BMW codes and diagnostics via the OBD-II port. I believe there are some after-market programs/cables that can provide this capability.