Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F12 / F13 (2012 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   6 series new Idrive info (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672914)

mrjoed2 01-28-2013 12:59 PM

6 series new Idrive info
 
Got a call this AM from a out of state CA who I had spoken to previously on buying a 650i.
He advised me they have confirmed the new version of Idrive will be included in 6 series builds starting March '13. No word if the '14 will include a power trunk closer. He had a interesting take on the trunk question. When I complained that the 6er has been left without the power close feature, while being available on the 5 & 7 he mentioned that the 6 is the only model with the backup camera behind the roundel, which also functions as a trunk opener, which could make it more complex to add the closer - I don't know.

southern6er22 01-28-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjoed2 (Post 7343753)
He had a interesting take on the trunk question. When I complained that the 6er has been left without the power close feature, while being available on the 5 & 7 he mentioned that the 6 is the only model with the backup camera behind the roundel, which also functions as a trunk opener, which could make it more complex to add the closer - I don't know.

That is interesting...

Quick poll: Who would rather have a hidden, 007-esque backup camera at the cost of having to manually close the trunk? And who would rather our $100k cars have the same conveniences as a $30k Lexus and live with the grotesque (i.e. tiny and barely noticeable) camera found on the hideous 5er and 7er?

Whatever the reason, BMW really screwed up on this one...

djsaad1 01-28-2013 05:38 PM

Are you going to order it or wait for the '14? I am thinking the '14 will probably have the full lcd instrument panel, it could also possibly have the idrive touch system instead of just the updated combo box. I think I saw somewhere that the '14 builds start in June or maybe July, either way it's not that far off.

southern6er22 01-28-2013 05:42 PM

I think I'd wait for a '14 at this point (if I were in the market right now). As stated, it isn't that long between March and June-ish. There likely won't be any significant discounts (like end-of-the-year deals and incentives) between now and then. Idk if the new black panel, etc., will be on the '14, but it would prevent a possible '12 v. '13 disappointment and possibly help with resale.

mrjoed2 01-28-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djsaad1 (Post 7344404)
Are you going to order it or wait for the '14? I am thinking the '14 will probably have the full lcd instrument panel, it could also possibly have the idrive touch system instead of just the updated combo box. I think I saw somewhere that the '14 builds start in June or maybe July, either way it's not that far off.

Yeah, I'm not sure. The '14 is supposed to have the LED dash, and possibly the touch controller. ( And maybe even that elusive trunk closer) But if BMW offers the option credits again in the spring. the '13 will be a better deal. If I wait for the '14, the discounts drop again.

Also, I would like to take a look at the redone MB 550 coming in June - shown at the auto show this month. Real nice looking - upped the wheels to 19", LED headlights standard along with some new electronics. And their Twin turbo V8 is not too shabby, for about $64K

TopDownInFL 01-28-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern6er22 (Post 7344396)
that is interesting...

Quick poll: Who would rather have a hidden, 007-esque backup camera at the cost of having to manually close the trunk? And who would rather our $100k cars have the same conveniences as a $30k lexus and live with the grotesque (i.e. Tiny and barely noticeable) camera found on the hideous 5er and 7er?

Whatever the reason, bmw really screwed up on this one...

+1

dunderhi 01-28-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern6er22 (Post 7344396)
Quick poll: Who would rather have a hidden, 007-esque backup camera at the cost of having to manually close the trunk? And who would rather our $100k cars have the same conveniences as a $30k Lexus and live with the grotesque (i.e. tiny and barely noticeable) camera found on the hideous 5er and 7er?

I had the power trunk on my 550 and really didn't care for it, so I'm happier that it won't be on my 650.

Now I have a question for the power trunk fans, would also want power doors to open and close at the push of a button?

southern6er22 01-28-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunderhi (Post 7344933)
I had the power trunk on my 550 and really didn't care for it, so I'm happier that it won't be on my 650.

Now I have a question for the power trunk fans, would also want power doors to open and close at the push of a button?

Nope (soft-close feature aside). The trunk tends to be utilized when my hands are otherwise occupied. I'd be more okay with it if the trunk had a stop that once overpowered allowed the trunk to fall freely - children's fingers be damned. It's the fact that you have to reach up into the hand holes and pull down forcefully with just the right motion - unless you push down on the lid with your hands, but the person that put their hands on the paint like that would find themselves stranded at the present location lol. Also, I've accidentally pulled the light out when using the left pull, and you also have to be careful if you are using your watch hand. They could charge $3k for that button, and I'd be the idiot willing to pay for it :D

dunderhi 01-28-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern6er22 (Post 7344972)
Nope (soft-close feature aside). The trunk tends to be utilized when my hands are otherwise occupied. I'd be more okay with it if the trunk had a stop that once overpowered allowed the trunk to fall freely - children's fingers be damned. It's the fact that you have to reach up into the hand holes and pull down forcefully with just the right motion - unless you push down on the lid with your hands, but the person that put their hands on the paint like that would find themselves stranded at the present location lol. Also, I've accidentally pulled the light out when using the left pull, and you also have to be careful if you are using your watch hand. They could charge $3k for that button, and I'd be the idiot willing to pay for it :D

While I was shopping around I fitted my bicycle in a 6er and didn't have any issues opening or closing the trunk. I find I open and close the trunk much faster when I do it myself. I also have no issues touching the paint, but finger prints aren't that obvious on Alpine White.

southern6er22 01-28-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunderhi (Post 7345004)
I also have no issues touching the paint, but finger prints aren't that obvious on Alpine White.

Prior to ordering my car I was told that I would need to get a therapist to accompany my choice of Carbon Black. I'm starting to think there is something to that recommendation :rofl:

mrjoed2 01-28-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunderhi (Post 7344933)
I had the power trunk on my 550 and really didn't care for it, so I'm happier that it won't be on my 650.

Now I have a question for the power trunk fans, would also want power doors to open and close at the push of a button?


What did you not like about it? I have a power close tailgate on my 4 Runner and love it. Don't see the point of slamming anything on a $90K car. Should be soft close all the way around.

Hofstet 01-29-2013 05:27 AM

Quote:

Prior to ordering my car I was told that I would need to get a therapist to accompany my choice of Carbon Black. I'm starting to think there is something to that recommendation
Southey, I agree completely. I'm glutten for punishment, also own a Tuxedo Black F150 as well as my Carbon Black 650i.

dunderhi 01-29-2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjoed2 (Post 7345145)
What did you not like about it? I have a power close tailgate on my 4 Runner and love it. Don't see the point of slamming anything on a $90K car. Should be soft close all the way around.

There's no need to slam the trunk closed, but the powered trunk moves too slow for me. It was one of those little annoyances that I learned to live with after a while.

mrjoed2 01-29-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunderhi (Post 7345384)
There's no need to slam the trunk closed, but the powered trunk moves too slow for me. It was one of those little annoyances that I learned to live with after a while.

Got ya. But once you make contact with the power closing mechanism, what difference does it make if it's slow in securing - you would be getting back in the car or leaving it anyway? I would find it more annoying to have to slam the trunklid on a non-powered 650. Pointed this out to the CA during a walk around and he agreed it was crazy to have paid $4400 for the Exec Pkg to get soft close doors but the trunk was not included. I get the strong feeling the '14 is going to fix this.

eyeatl 01-29-2013 07:56 AM

I agree, there should have been at least a standard soft-close feature for the trunk latch (but I would prefer a fully motorized one). I have had the power up/down trunk on other cars and I definitely miss it on the GC where you have to slam the lid to get it to latch. This seems like a strange oversight by BMW considering that this car has everything else motorized including the side/rear sunshades and even the sunroof sunshade!

southern6er22 01-29-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hofstet (Post 7345333)
Southey, I agree completely. I'm glutten for punishment, also own a Tuxedo Black F150 as well as my Carbon Black 650i.

I'm in the midst of a losing battle with the pollen right now. My car can barely make it 3 days right now. Weekly washes are getting old, but it's well worth it once complete.

djsaad1 01-29-2013 09:04 AM

While we are on the subject, how do you guys like the soft close doors? I am contemplating about retrofitting them onto the gran coupe. My car started production a month before they offered them.

Bönz 01-29-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern6er22 (Post 7345676)
I'm in the midst of a losing battle with the pollen right now. My car can barely make it 3 days right now. Weekly washes are getting old, but it's well worth it once complete.

Get a California duster. I've used them for years on black cars with no problems. You will not scratch the paint - especially with pollen.

Now the salt I'm dealling with this time of year is another story. I hate winter.

eyeatl 01-29-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djsaad1 (Post 7345708)
While we are on the subject, how do you guys like the soft close doors? I am contemplating about retrofitting them onto the gran coupe. My car started production a month before they offered them.

My car was a December build and I ordered them and just got the car. I had them on my 550iGT and really liked not having to slam the doors. They work great! I'm hoping to find a way to retrofit a soft close feature on the trunk lid.

mrjoed2 01-29-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeatl (Post 7345550)
I agree, there should have been at least a standard soft-close feature for the trunk latch (but I would prefer a fully motorized one). I have had the power up/down trunk on other cars and I definitely miss it on the GC where you have to slam the lid to get it to latch. This seems like a strange oversight by BMW considering that this car has everything else motorized including the side/rear sunshades and even the sunroof sunshade!

Amen - I feel EXACTLY the same

mrjoed2 01-29-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern6er22 (Post 7345676)
I'm in the midst of a losing battle with the pollen right now. My car can barely make it 3 days right now. Weekly washes are getting old, but it's well worth it once complete.


I've got a jet black V8 4runner and it is the last black I will ever buy. Covered in pollen 30 minutes after cleaning. Would have to keep my CA duster strapped to my body............
Toughest color you can get.

southern6er22 01-29-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bönz (Post 7345732)
Get a California duster. I've used them for years on black cars with no problems. You will not scratch the paint - especially with pollen.

Might have to look into that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjoed2 (Post 7346149)
I've got a jet black V8 4runner and it is the last black I will ever buy. Covered in pollen 30 minutes after cleaning. Would have to keep my CA duster strapped to my body............
Toughest color you can get.

Yeah, I'm coping with the Carbon Black, and I think Black Sapphire would be about the same. Jet Black would require medication, I'm sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeatl (Post 7345550)
I agree, there should have been at least a standard soft-close feature for the trunk latch (but I would prefer a fully motorized one). I have had the power up/down trunk on other cars and I definitely miss it on the GC where you have to slam the lid to get it to latch. This seems like a strange oversight by BMW considering that this car has everything else motorized including the side/rear sunshades and even the sunroof sunshade!

I always feel like an idiot when people are walking by admiring my car, and then I look like an fumbling idiot closing the trunk. Kills the scene. :rofl:

dunderhi 01-29-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjoed2 (Post 7345438)
Got ya. But once you make contact with the power closing mechanism, what difference does it make if it's slow in securing - you would be getting back in the car or leaving it anyway? I would find it more annoying to have to slam the trunklid on a non-powered 650. Pointed this out to the CA during a walk around and he agreed it was crazy to have paid $4400 for the Exec Pkg to get soft close doors but the trunk was not included. I get the strong feeling the '14 is going to fix this.

It's primarily the slow in opening that drives me crazy. I feel like if I could open the trunk, throw what I need into in there, close the trunk, hop in the car a drive off in the period of time I'm waiting for the power trunk to open.

BTW, it is truly annoying if you push the button to close the trunk, walk around and hop into the car, start her up, and get a warning light the the trunk is ajar. You look in the mirror and see that it reopened itself because it encountered some pressure while closing. After that happens a couple of times, you will find yourself waiting for the trunk to close before you walk away from it.

mrjoed2 01-30-2013 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunderhi (Post 7347364)
It's primarily the slow in opening that drives me crazy. I feel like if I could open the trunk, throw what I need into in there, close the trunk, hop in the car a drive off in the period of time I'm waiting for the power trunk to open.

BTW, it is truly annoying if you push the button to close the trunk, walk around and hop into the car, start her up, and get a warning light the the trunk is ajar. You look in the mirror and see that it reopened itself because it encountered some pressure while closing. After that happens a couple of times, you will find yourself waiting for the trunk to close before you walk away from it.

I would be quite happy if BMW would simply add the soft close feature to the trunk - as I think most folks would. No waiting, but also no slamming to close as is the current case.
Again seems bizarre they would offer a package that includes soft close doors but omit the trunk.

southern6er22 01-30-2013 05:57 AM

The coupe and convertible have different trunks, as discussed in a thread a while back. The convertible's will close once you get it going whereas the coupe requires a good, strong pull and pops back up if it doesn't latch properly. I assume the GC matches the coupe - although you'd think they would've fixed the problem for their new baby.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms