Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Vandalism WTF (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673010)

jahathaway 01-28-2013 07:40 PM

Vandalism WTF

Over the past weekend, someone walking by my car in the early morning hours decided to take a brick and do some stipple work on my passenger side rear door and then they took the brick to the other side, hit the driver's side rear door window and finally, after smashing the brick against the metal window separator, broke out the driver's side rear vent window.
I am not sure if they were trying to steal it, but this was the one night I didnt put the club on the steering wheel.
What makes this worse for me is that when I called the insurance company, I was told my insurance had termed about a week prior [related to a lost debit card being reissued and me not giving them the new info] :mad:

Now I need to get things fixed. Richmond BMW estimated $550 for just replacing that rear vent glass, also telling me that is the most expensive glass to replace AND if I ever needed to break my own glass, to not break that one.

Has anyone had this happen to them and are there any repair recommendations out there.
I have insurance now, but I dont think I can get assistance from them.

UncleJ 01-28-2013 09:46 PM

Bummer! Since you have (had) no insurance to cover this (another question is why didn't the insurance company contact you before cancelling your policy?) so why get the most expensive glass and installation? After all,as an '06, the car is probably only worth about $10-13K wholesale now. Get an estimate from an auto glass specialty company and just get it fixed. Maybe "Dr Dent" can knock out some of the "stipples" for you at a reasonable cost too. Was it because you didn't use "the club" -- who knows? Probably just a wandering sociopath who was jealous of someone who had somthing better than they did -- or depending what neighborhood -- some other reason.:tsk:

mchova01 01-29-2013 01:05 AM

I feel your pain. Within a month of moving across country approximately ten years ago, someone broke into our car and tried to steal the radio, smashing the window in the process. We had a very basic car at the time and $500 deductible for this type of incident. The quotes I received were over our deductible, but I didnít want to pay that much for something someone else did. However, I looked online at used/junkyard parts and found a window for under $60 shipped (looked good as new) and I knew how to reassemble the radio. The net loss was $60 and a few hours to put it back together.

It happened again three weeks later, except this time the person was not interested in stealing anything, they were just walking down the street smashing windows one by one. A different window was broken the second time, but the results were the same. It was much cheaper to replace with second hand parts, and I had a source for glass.

I am not endorsing this site, but it is the first one I came across when I tried to search for you. I used 2007 for the year and one of their suppliers has the window for $97.00 including shipping.
Link: http://www.autopartsfair.com/bmw-use...nt_window.html

I donít recall the site I used, but it was similar to the one above. There might be others out there, but this might give you a different strategy to fix the problem.

jdauria 01-29-2013 04:42 AM

Damn sorry to hear about this. Some A-hole egged my e46 while I was away for the weekend a couple years ago. It eroded the paint off the trunk, roof, hood.

usaret 01-29-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jahathaway (Post 7344827)
Over the past weekend, someone walking by my car in the early morning hours decided to take a brick and do some stipple work on my passenger side rear door and then they took the brick to the other side, hit the driver's side rear door window and finally, after smashing the brick against the metal window separator, broke out the driver's side rear vent window.
I am not sure if they were trying to steal it, but this was the one night I didnt put the club on the steering wheel.
What makes this worse for me is that when I called the insurance company, I was told my insurance had termed about a week prior [related to a lost debit card being reissued and me not giving them the new info] :mad:

Now I need to get things fixed. Richmond BMW estimated $550 for just replacing that rear vent glass, also telling me that is the most expensive glass to replace AND if I ever needed to break my own glass, to not break that one.

Has anyone had this happen to them and are there any repair recommendations out there.
I have insurance now, but I dont think I can get assistance from them.

You should consider yourself lucky. My daughter T boned a Chrysler Convertible with expired insurance. The State Trooper pulled her plates on the spot and had her car towed. She had to go to court, got a hefty fine, her license suspended and got sued by the other driver. Got all that straightened out but couldn't find anybody to insure her. She finally got insurance from "the company of last resort" but pays $300.00 a month on a 11 year old Toyota. She's now in the process of filing bankruptcy over the damage to the Chrysler.

The general rule is that fixed, glued in, windows are always the most expensive to replace. So if you ever need to knock one out make sure it's one that rolls down.

Don't waste your time with the club. Thieves will just cut your steering wheel with a hack saw, spring it and slide the club right off. Then they'll use the club as a lever to break the steering wheel lock.

http://www.freakonomics.com/2010/06/...k-of-the-club/

Any glass shop can replace the glass but I suspect they'll all charge about the same.

spokelizard 01-29-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usaret (Post 7345925)
Don't waste your time with the club. Thieves will just cut your steering wheel with a hack saw, spring it and slide the club right off. Then they'll use the club as a lever to break the steering wheel lock.

http://www.freakonomics.com/2010/06/...k-of-the-club/

Great link about The Club, thanks!

UncleJ 01-30-2013 06:56 AM

+1! All the club does is remind wandering socieopaths to remember their hacksaw next time. It might, just might, deter a casual target of opportunity thief -- but only if they were going to steal the car and not just rummage it. For the latter it makes no difference if there is a club or not. Agree that most auto glass shops will be pretty much the same, which of course will still be cheaper than the BMW dealer.:yikes: