Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1982 - 1993) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   320i cold start issue . (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673083)

Adler 01-29-2013 10:00 AM

320i cold start issue .

Hi all

i have a 88 320i Baur Cabriolet which has a cold start problem .

Its a Euro model and it seems that it does not have a cold-start unit nor the idle- valve as shown in the Bentley repair manual which i use for servicng.

I would Appriciate advise on sorting the cold start issue. and a source for the service manual specific to this Euro model.

Thanks
Adler

Nick323 02-05-2013 02:55 AM

I might be wrong, but were the Baur units not very rare and better build quality ?
As far as I can remember the final assembly was done by hand in SA

Adler 02-05-2013 08:16 AM

So Good to know there are knowledgable folks on the forum.
you are very correct; this is the rare model:
regards:)
adler:

BMWFatherFigure 02-06-2013 02:38 AM

If it is K-Jetronic the cold start module is bolted to the block near the starter motor. L-Jetronic cold start is controlled by the EMU. I hope no 'expert' has robbed too much off the engine. Cold start injector (if it has one) is controlled by the starter switch and a temp/timer module near the other temp senders.

Adler 02-06-2013 06:38 AM

Thanks, i dont see the cold start injecter nor the idle control unit on the engine but it does have a cold start sensor right next to the temperature sender unit.

The Jetronic engines have those with easy accsess to wconnector and the piping .
ad

BMWFatherFigure 02-06-2013 06:33 PM

K-Jetronic has very thin tubes going from a thing that looks a bit like a distributor to each cylinder. The electronic (later) cars have a common fuel rail an electric injectors.

Nick323 02-08-2013 12:55 AM

K-Jetronic :yikes:
This is going back to the dark ages :eek:
When that head in your fuel distributor warps, it can get REAL expensive !
A working system is probably worth more than the car :eeps:
At least here in the Desert :)

Adler 02-08-2013 01:32 AM

It has 12V injectors feeding from a common fuel rail with the vane type air flow metering unit
now would this be a M20 engine?
ad

Adler 02-08-2013 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick323 (Post 7367565)
K-Jetronic :yikes:
This is going back to the dark ages :eek:
When that head in your fuel distributor warps, it can get REAL expensive !
A working system is probably worth more than the car :eeps:
At least here in the Desert :)

No it is not that K- unit , incidentally that has worked well in so many makes including R-R models from that period.Technology evolves with time !

Nick323 02-08-2013 02:41 AM

Bless your soul, good man :)
Having proper fuel injection instead of a controlled leak is a blessing in your case :thumbup:

The operative word here is
Quote:

worked well
Time tends to degenerate mechanical items :(
The K-jetronic was a huge step forward from things called Carburettors.
Tunability was worse though, for the aftermarket.
Then came the years where EFi progressed with better & efficient systems till the overly complicated emission-castrated units of today :tsk:

Your problem should be easy to fault find.

Billwill 02-08-2013 03:21 AM

The Bentley manual is pretty useless when it comes to Euro models. You need to search online for the Haynes E30 manual "BMW 3 & 5 Series" manual number 1948.

You should be able to find it online in PDF format....I have the manual and the PDF download.

Adler 02-08-2013 04:37 AM

Baur 320I

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billwill (Post 7367640)
The Bentley manual is pretty useless when it comes to Euro models. You need to search online for the Haynes E30 manual "BMW 3 & 5 Series" manual number 1948.

You should be able to find it online in PDF format....I have the manual and the PDF download.

Yes Though Excellent the Bentley manual is not at all useful for this particular Euro M20 engine.:
Ad

BMWFatherFigure 02-09-2013 07:07 AM

AS I guess you have no cold start injector then it starts to point to the temp sender for the EFI module.

Adler 02-09-2013 10:14 AM

I suspected that intially and replaced it with a new temp sender as well as the temo.senser next to it .Still the cold start issue.

Ad

_Ethrty-Andy_ 02-09-2013 03:12 PM

Guys.

M.Y. 1988.

it should have a Motronic ECU which doesn't have a cold start injector. It takes the temperature and overfuels the engine to warm it up. Most M20B20 if not all M20 also have tubes that feed coolant around the throttle body to heat the incoming air.

It is likely that it is just the idle control valve that is the problem, or it could be the coil being unhappy to operate when its cold.

Also, plus one to Bentley being useless for euro spec BMWs. In fact Haynes isn't much better, i dont know why people recommend them so much. i guess they are better than nothing mind you :dunno:

Adler 02-09-2013 08:14 PM

[QUOTE=_Ethrty-Andy_;7370863]Guys.

M.Y. 1988.

It is likely that it is just the idle control valve that is the problem, or it could be the coil being unhappy to operate when its cold.

Thanks.
yes likely the ICV as there is no cold start unit . now the Idle control valve is what i am still looking for but again .there are no telltale wires or a connector ; in all the engine seem to have a (1) a connector at the air flow unit and (2) another one at the bottom of the throttle plate ; the TPS unit. Both cleaned and re-connected .
Both the temp senssors are new .
ad

Billwill 02-10-2013 03:50 AM

[QUOTE=Adler;7371313]
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ethrty-Andy_ (Post 7370863)
Guys.

M.Y. 1988.

Thanks.
yes likely the ICV as there is no cold start unit . now the Idle control valve is what i am still looking for but again .there are no telltale wires or a connector ; in all the engine seem to have a (1) a connector at the air flow unit and (2) another one at the bottom of the throttle plate ; the TPS unit. Both cleaned and re-connected .
Both the temp senssors are new .
ad

Try the UK site here...they will be able to tell you where your ICV is as well as giving you other usefull information.

http://www.e30zone.net

Adler 02-21-2013 05:53 AM

Maybe someone can suggesta source for the correct euro manual which covers this 6 cyl model.:)
Ad

Nick323 02-21-2013 07:09 AM

I am happy with Haynes
Then I also downloaded the original BMW manual