Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E34 (1989 - 1995) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   E34 Longevity (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673148)

CraigBMW 01-29-2013 02:02 PM

E34 Longevity
 
Hi,
I bought my 1995 E34 (M50 motor) about 6 years ago with around 160,000 km on the odometer. It has now done 235,000 km. I have the original service books and it has always been serviced by a BMW dealer every 10,000 km. It drives well and to date I've only been up for relatively moderate costs in repairs. Can anyone suggest when it is likely to start costing me significant money to keep on the road ? Thanks.

zfxpE34 01-29-2013 04:37 PM

As with any other vehicle, just keep up with maintenance and repairs, and you should be good.
Every car is different, from style of driving, to the driver itself.

mda185 01-29-2013 05:50 PM

It sounds like you have spread out your maintenance costs over 10,000 km intervals and kept your E34 in good running condition that way. I don't think you have cause to worry that it will suddenly start costing a lot more to keep on the road if brakes, suspension, bushings, wheel bearings, oxygen sensors, plugs, etc. have been serviced over the years. These are some of the most robust cars BMW ever built and can run into very high mileage without trouble if cared for properly. Mine has 200K miles on it and rides and handles better than many newer cars because I have replaced all suspension parts and brakes as they wear out. I intend to put at least another 100K miles on it before I am done. (I have enough confidence in the chassis that I just swapped an S52 motor in.)

_Ethrty-Andy_ 01-29-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zfxpE34 (Post 7346762)
As with any other vehicle, just keep up with maintenance and repairs, and you should be good.
Every car is different, from style of driving, to the driver itself.

This

keep maintaining it and you will not have any issues with it.

As soon as a BMW no matter the age falls out of an enthusiasts hands and/or the dealer network, thats when the bills start coming in because they are neglected like they neglect a corolla.

mda185 01-30-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ethrty-Andy_ (Post 7347261)
This

keep maintaining it and you will not have any issues with it.

As soon as a BMW no matter the age falls out of an enthusiasts hands and/or the dealer network, thats when the bills start coming in because they are neglected like they neglect a corolla.

I am drooling over that E34 touring V-12 you have. That must be incredible fun to drive. The color is my favorite also. I was not aware ACS had a conversion like that. Was that unique to your local market or a one-off conversion that started life as an ACS of a different flavor?

_Ethrty-Andy_ 01-30-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mda185 (Post 7348779)
I am drooling over that E34 touring V-12 you have. That must be incredible fun to drive. The color is my favorite also. I was not aware ACS had a conversion like that. Was that unique to your local market or a one-off conversion that started life as an ACS of a different flavor?

Thanks very much! Is a real pleasure to drive and not as raw as people expect, just smooth effortless power up to any speed you like.

Here is a link to my thread on the car if you are interested!
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=502437


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms