Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Rear view camera design flaw (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673183)

Mockingbird 01-29-2013 04:52 PM

Rear view camera design flaw
 
Not sure if anyone of you have experienced the rear view camera at night is not clear specially the top view. The plates light is the one that makes it too bright. I noticed that when I turn the lights off I have a very clear view otherwise I see a reflection of the light on the left side of the screen.

4Bimmers 01-29-2013 05:55 PM

Put sunglasses on it :)
Suggest a different location or camera to BMW

jashearer 01-29-2013 06:09 PM

I only notice issues when it's dirty, I find wiping off all three occasionally with my finger works wonders.

Jay

Advocate 01-29-2013 06:20 PM

I agree finger solution works, but in the winter, the camera is always dirty.

tlim66 01-29-2013 06:31 PM

I found that when it rains water gets on the back camera from the back glass/hatch way too easy. Agreed that it as to be wiped way too often. If it was mounted a bit more recessed I think it would have been better but what can you do. Don't have an issue with the lighting though...

Mockingbird 01-29-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlim66 (Post 7346991)
I found that when it rains water gets on the back camera from the back glass/hatch way too easy. Agreed that it as to be wiped way too often. If it was mounted a bit more recessed I think it would have been better but what can you do. Don't have an issue with the lighting though...

When your camera is clean try the top view at night in a dark area. You will see the plates light too bright creating a fog like image on the left of screen, then turn the lights off you will see the difference.

5seriesHB 01-29-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mockingbird (Post 7347008)
When your camera is clean try the top view at night in a dark area. You will see the plates light too bright creating a fog like image on the left of screen, then turn the lights off you will see the difference.

i think its clear u hate ur car...lol
ur finding a bunch of flaws already...turn it in, take a huge loss and then u will have another thing to be pissed about...low residual!:rofl:
just kidding
ps id say enjoy but u probaly wont!:bigpimp:

Mockingbird 01-29-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5seriesHB (Post 7347045)
i think its clear u hate ur car...lol
ur finding a bunch of flaws already...turn it in, take a huge loss and then u will have another thing to be pissed about...low residual!:rofl:
just kidding
ps id say enjoy but u probaly wont!:bigpimp:

When you pay so much and then notice these things it is upsetting. I love my car but I have seen better cameras that work perfect at night. Of courses I will not let it bother me just want to know if any one has found a solution to this issue.

5seriesHB 01-29-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mockingbird (Post 7347083)
When you pay so much and then notice these things it is upsetting. I love my car but I have seen better cameras that work perfect at night. Of courses I will not let it bother me just want to know if any one has found a solution to this issue.

i hear ya...u got any pics of ur car!:thumbup:

Mockingbird 01-29-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5seriesHB (Post 7347087)
i hear ya...u got any pics of ur car!:thumbup:

Not a good shot yet since I got it the weather had not been good. Have to get it cleaned then will upload :)

NoI4plz 01-29-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mockingbird (Post 7346799)
Not sure if anyone of you have experienced the rear view camera at night is not clear specially the top view. The plates light is the one that makes it too bright. I noticed that when I turn the lights off I have a very clear view otherwise I see a reflection of the light on the left side of the screen.

Exposure control coming to you as a new $1000 option on the BMW individual personal camera package lol.

Yea I think the camera for the time being is gonna be stuck with that issue. You could, just a thought here, code the either the camera (if the exposure settings are accessible thru INPA) to compensate for the excess brightness. Or you could code the system to turn off the rear license plate lights when activating the rear view camera.

Not that advanced at writing own program parameter through INPA.

Mockingbird 01-29-2013 08:18 PM

I have got the cable for coding. Have never done it before but turning of the plates lights when in reverse would be awesome will give it a try.

BMW Power 01-30-2013 02:01 PM

I noticed this too! Hard to believe that didn't get picked up in testing and fixed.

AutoUnion 01-30-2013 02:08 PM

I've noticed that when the lenses is dirty or wet, camera sucks. Other than that, it's fine, even with the backlights on.

Mockingbird 01-30-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW Power (Post 7348954)
I noticed this too! Hard to believe that didn't get picked up in testing and fixed.

Thank god some one agrees to what I say. They should have picked this up in testing.

zampag 01-30-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mockingbird (Post 7349000)
Thank god some one agrees to what I say. They should have picked this up in testing.

Same here. I crazy-glued a small rectangular piece of black plastic to the right of the LED plate light. No more glare.

Mockingbird 01-30-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zampag (Post 7349061)
Same here. I crazy-glued a small rectangular piece of black plastic to the right of the LED plate light. No more glare.

It does not block the view on the left ?

zampag 01-31-2013 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mockingbird (Post 7349071)
It does not block the view on the left ?

Not at all. Its about 1/4" thick and being just to the right of the LED, its not in view of the camera.

Mockingbird 01-31-2013 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zampag (Post 7350199)
Not at all. Its about 1/4" thick and being just to the right of the LED, its not in view of the camera.

I will try this.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms