Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   New F01 Owner (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673280)

wjjklj 01-30-2013 07:27 AM

New F01 Owner
 
Hello everyone - I want to introduce myself as a new F01 owner. I have owned a E65 (2004 745i) for about 5 years now and have been an active member on that forum.

I bought a 2009 BMW 750i with 16K miles on it. It is a sport model with Black Sapphire exterior and Black Nasca leather interior. I pick it up at the end of the week and will post pictures when I get it.

I have searched so far and have not seen much on a few topics of interest...probably because everyone is still within warranty.

1) Are there any aftermarket ceramic brake pads yet? I love my Akebono pads on my E65...zero dust. I hate the dust produced by the BMW pads.

2) What are you all using to upgrade the look of your angel eyes to a white color matching HID lights? I used Mtecs on my E65.

3) Is there any scanning device made for the F01/F02? I currently use Dashsoft and INPA. Is there a OBD port or just a USB port?

4) Anyone aware of a INPA update that includes the F01/F02?

5) Anyone running Vossen CV1's?

I am excited about my newer car and plan on being a good contributing member. Thanks in advance for the replies!

Tuesday 01-30-2013 11:31 AM

Congrats on the new purchase!

You'll want to start hanging out in this forum as well: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

Since you're familiar with INPA, you should get to know e-sys (NCSExpert for F series chassis only a lot easier to use). There is a file running around and a version of INPA that will work for the F01 chassis, but your K+DCAN cable probably won't work since these cars interface with an IP address. You'll need to buy or make an OBDII to ethernet cable (info in the link above) to properly interface with your car. I would suggest looking around for copies of ISTA/D as a proper diagnostics tool. I have a copy that I bought, but I understand there are free VMware versions floating around. You'll be excited how much you can code to you car with e-sys, I do free coding here in LA and people always ask for DVD in Motion, fold in mirrors with key fob, delete legal disclaimer screen and a lot more.

As far as angel eyes go, you're in H8 territory now, which doesn't necessarily make things better. You of course have the LED options, and as I am sure you experienced with your E65 - they aren't very noticeable during daylight hours. Try to resist the temptation to put HID bulbs in there - your headlights will be ruined as the rings will turn permanently yellow.

Other than that - I do not know about brake pads, but I would assume something is on the market since this car has been around for a few years now.

Enjoy and I'm looking forward to the pics!

donce32 01-30-2013 12:25 PM

He's 100% correct about corona lights. I've been searching myself - apparently there is nothing "good" in the market for F01.

wjjklj 01-30-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itschase (Post 7348621)
Congrats on the new purchase!

You'll want to start hanging out in this forum as well: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

Since you're familiar with INPA, you should get to know e-sys (NCSExpert for F series chassis only a lot easier to use). There is a file running around and a version of INPA that will work for the F01 chassis, but your K+DCAN cable probably won't work since these cars interface with an IP address. You'll need to buy or make an OBDII to ethernet cable (info in the link above) to properly interface with your car. I would suggest looking around for copies of ISTA/D as a proper diagnostics tool. I have a copy that I bought, but I understand there are free VMware versions floating around. You'll be excited how much you can code to you car with e-sys, I do free coding here in LA and people always ask for DVD in Motion, fold in mirrors with key fob, delete legal disclaimer screen and a lot more.

As far as angel eyes go, you're in H8 territory now, which doesn't necessarily make things better. You of course have the LED options, and as I am sure you experienced with your E65 - they aren't very noticeable during daylight hours. Try to resist the temptation to put HID bulbs in there - your headlights will be ruined as the rings will turn permanently yellow.

Other than that - I do not know about brake pads, but I would assume something is on the market since this car has been around for a few years now.

Enjoy and I'm looking forward to the pics!

Thanks for the tips. Am I safe to use the Mtec style Led lights for the angel eyes? I hate the beige color of the factory angel eye bulbs.

How are people updating the navigation maps? Do you have to download files to a flash drive and then load via USB drive? If so, where can you get the 2012-2013 files? Will dealer update this under warranty?

I will definitely check out the programming forum. Thanks for the link!

ChrisF01 01-30-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjjklj (Post 7347986)
Hello everyone - I want to introduce myself as a new F01 owner. I have owned a E65 (2004 745i) for about 5 years now and have been an active member on that forum.

I bought a 2009 BMW 750i with 16K miles on it. It is a sport model with Black Sapphire exterior and Black Nasca leather interior. I pick it up at the end of the week and will post pictures when I get it.

I have searched so far and have not seen much on a few topics of interest...probably because everyone is still within warranty.

2) What are you all using to upgrade the look of your angel eyes to a white color matching HID lights? I used Mtecs on my E65.

Welcome!

There really is no solution to that unfortunately. With the LEDs they're way too dim in direct sunlight, you can't even tell they're on. Be aware of a vendor on here that bumps his own threads, but customer pictures have shown his product is nothing more than a very poor product.

On the other hand you have HIDs, but you take a risk that there could be damage to the rings from the added heat from those bulbs. Some have had issues with their outer rings yellowing and/or fading. Some have not, I personally had the AlpineMSS kit installed by Alex (the guy who sells them) himself. I did not have any issues nor did my AEs fade, but I'm looking to get out of my lease to upgrade so I had pulled them out and reverted my car to stock.

Perhaps now that more lease returns are going onto the used market we'll see some more interest. I would guess that the bulk of people who are currently leasing a new 10-12 MY aren't really concerned with it - or have even noticed it. (See old farts:rofl:)

wjjklj 01-30-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisF02 (Post 7349144)
Welcome!

There really is no solution to that unfortunately. With the LEDs they're way too dim in direct sunlight, you can't even tell they're on. Be aware of a vendor on here that bumps his own threads, but customer pictures have shown his product is nothing more than a very poor product.

On the other hand you have HIDs, but you take a risk that there could be damage to the rings from the added heat from those bulbs. Some have had issues with their outer rings yellowing and/or fading. Some have not, I personally had the AlpineMSS kit installed by Alex (the guy who sells them) himself. I did not have any issues nor did my AEs fade, but I'm looking to get out of my lease to upgrade so I had pulled them out and reverted my car to stock.

Perhaps now that more lease returns are going onto the used market we'll see some more interest. I would guess that the bulk of people who are currently leasing a new 10-12 MY aren't really concerned with it - or have even noticed it. (See old farts:rofl:)

Thanks for the welcome. You have any pics of your car with the Alpine kit? Have you sold the kit or are you keeping it for your next 7er?

MCChuck 01-30-2013 06:46 PM

2013 Navigation update is straightforward using USB port in glove compartment.

I found what I needed to do the update here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...igation+update

The direct link to the torrent file is in post #58 of the thread as

Attached Files
BMW_CIC_NAVIGATION_NORTH_AMERICA_2013.torrent.txt (217.6 KB, 27 views)

Enjoy the car!

Harry
2009 750Li-Sapphire Black/Black Napa-ZSP,ZLS,ZPS,ZCV,ZDA,610,ZCE,4U1,655,6NF,4CA

wjjklj 01-30-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCChuck (Post 7349618)
2013 Navigation update is straightforward using USB port in glove compartment.

I found what I needed to do the update here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...igation+update

The direct link to the torrent file is in post #58 of the thread as

Attached Files
BMW_CIC_NAVIGATION_NORTH_AMERICA_2013.torrent.txt (217.6 KB, 27 views)

Enjoy the car!

Harry
2009 750Li-Sapphire Black/Black Napa-ZSP,ZLS,ZPS,ZCV,ZDA,610,ZCE,4U1,655,6NF,4CA

Thanks Harry!

ChrisF01 01-30-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjjklj (Post 7349501)
Thanks for the welcome. You have any pics of your car with the Alpine kit? Have you sold the kit or are you keeping it for your next 7er?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...183&highlight=

Frankly I'm not sure what to do with them, I also got new headlight covers, so I still have the ones he drilled.:dunno:

The new 7ers from 2013 on now have the bright white Corona rings.

wjjklj 01-30-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisF02 (Post 7349855)
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...183&highlight=

Frankly I'm not sure what to do with them, I also got new headlight covers, so I still have the ones he drilled.:dunno:

The new 7ers from 2013 on now have the bright white Corona rings.

Interesting reading.....I will probably just do Mtecs again.

What programming software is your guy using?

hd750Li 01-31-2013 06:01 PM

Welcome buddy! You should probably change your signature picture.

wjjklj 01-31-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hd750Li (Post 7351721)
Welcome buddy! You should probably change your signature picture.

Thanks a lot. I pick up my car tomorrow. After a good clean up and several hours of buffing I will indeed get a new signature picture

Juffe 02-01-2013 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCChuck (Post 7349618)
2013 Navigation update is straightforward using USB port in glove compartment.

I found what I needed to do the update here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...igation+update

The direct link to the torrent file is in post #58 of the thread as

Attached Files
BMW_CIC_NAVIGATION_NORTH_AMERICA_2013.torrent.txt (217.6 KB, 27 views)

Enjoy the car!

Harry
2009 750Li-Sapphire Black/Black Napa-ZSP,ZLS,ZPS,ZCV,ZDA,610,ZCE,4U1,655,6NF,4CA

How did you manage to get the car-specific code needed to start the update? Did you order it from the guy mentioned?

E92-Lighting 02-01-2013 12:04 PM

MTEC also makes the angel eyes for the F01/F02 models in addition to the E65 models

http://www.e92-lighting.com/images/morena19.JPG

sirstopher 02-01-2013 10:39 PM

Enjoy your new car you trader..... Oh crap, I bought a new one too.

I hope it last for years to come. Waiting on picks.

wjjklj 02-02-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E92-Lighting (Post 7353277)
MTEC also makes the angel eyes for the F01/F02 models in addition to the E65 models

http://www.e92-lighting.com/images/morena19.JPG

I will be ordering soon. Do you know if the bumper has to be pulled on the F01 to install? Thanks.

wjjklj 02-02-2013 06:58 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirstopher (Post 7354373)
Enjoy your new car you trader..... Oh crap, I bought a new one too.

I hope it last for years to come. Waiting on picks.

Here are some pics I took yesterday in 20 degrees at the car wash. I will try and post some interior pictures tomorrow.

1naztyx5 02-02-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E92-Lighting (Post 7353277)
MTEC also makes the angel eyes for the F01/F02 models in addition to the E65 models

http://www.e92-lighting.com/images/morena19.JPG

This picture reminds me of a Halloween pumpkin :) no offense to anybody! I love this 7's

king0fspades 02-05-2013 08:41 AM

No brake dust issue on atleast 2011 F02. I had a 2006 E65 and I would get brake dust just backing out of garage. I think BMW has fixed it now.

Bimmer750LI 02-08-2013 05:06 PM

2) What are you all using to upgrade the look of your angel eyes to a white color matching HID lights? I used Mtecs on my E65.

MTEC V2's were recently released with 9W vs 6W LED power - V1's weren't easy to see in bright sun but otherwise were ok - I think the V2's will be significantly better. Obviously nowhere close to the LCI but still a heck of a lot less expensive and they don't throw error codes like other H8 LED Angels...

wjjklj 02-08-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimmer750LI (Post 7369270)
2) What are you all using to upgrade the look of your angel eyes to a white color matching HID lights? I used Mtecs on my E65.

MTEC V2's were recently released with 9W vs 6W LED power - V1's weren't easy to see in bright sun but otherwise were ok - I think the V2's will be significantly better. Obviously nowhere close to the LCI but still a heck of a lot less expensive and they don't throw error codes like other H8 LED Angels...

I ran V2.1's on my E65. They make V3's now. This is what I am upgrading to.

Bimmer750LI 02-10-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjjklj (Post 7369680)
I ran V2.1's on my E65. They make V3's now. This is what I am upgrading to.

F01/F02's use H8 and very few H8 LED kits work without throwing codes. MTEC has had V1 for the F01/F02's for a while but just released V2 which has new higher output CREE LEDs. The V2 H8 MTEC's are specific to the F01/F02's and would be the "newest" version for your current 750. BTW - most of the MTEC's currently advertised for the F01/F02 are V1 so make sure you ask for V2 from the vendor you decide to use.

They are simple to replace not like your E65 bumper removal - simple access from top/rear of light housing - maybe a 5 minute job each side if your slow.

wjjklj 02-10-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimmer750LI (Post 7371603)
F01/F02's use H8 and very few H8 LED kits work without throwing codes. MTEC has had V1 for the F01/F02's for a while but just released V2 which has new higher output CREE LEDs. The V2 H8 MTEC's are specific to the F01/F02's and would be the "newest" version for your current 750. BTW - most of the MTEC's currently advertised for the F01/F02 are V1 so make sure you ask for V2 from the vendor you decide to use.

They are simple to replace not like your E65 bumper removal - simple access from top/rear of light housing - maybe a 5 minute job each side if your slow.

Great information to know. Thanks!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms