Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Which car should I get (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673389)

kshade40 01-30-2013 03:43 PM

Which car should I get

Option 1 BMW https://post.craigslist.org/manage/3575113138/xh7m8

Option 2 eclipse

Has replaced the spark plugs the spark plug wire the water pump the timing belt the timing belt adjusters both valve cover Gaskets the Exhauste the lights hids outs side 10,000k leds inside and led license plates

Option 3 http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/3509679378.html

Option 4 lease brand new Nissan sentra or Honda

I'm in high school

kshade40 01-30-2013 03:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
131 k on the eclipse

lgr122 01-30-2013 08:04 PM

Depends... do you need space?
That BMW is clearly better about that.

heztheone 01-30-2013 09:17 PM

being in high school (and unless u'r looking for a mechanical degree in college), i would clear away from the BMW. it requires a lot of attention and a deep pocket to maintain.
dunno much about the eclipse, but being a jap car, i would assume it requires very low maintenance.
get a Jap car :D

SPDSKTR 01-31-2013 05:28 AM

Option 5: Buy a bone stock 2004 or 2005 Honda Civic Si hatchback. You won't regret it.

vandyboy 01-31-2013 06:15 AM

My advice is to avoid making car payments as long as you can - so do not lease or buy anything with payments. Do not get tied down to debt right now - there are more important things to dfo than to work all the time just to pay for a car.

The BMW is nice but will cost you some in maintenance. The Eclipse will be a pretty good car with decent gas mileage. Either one would work for you, but personally I think the Eclipse will be easier to live with and cost less to own.

kshade40 01-31-2013 06:19 AM

My dad would pay for the lease

cwsqbm 01-31-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPDSKTR (Post 7350259)
Option 5: Buy a bone stock 2004 or 2005 Honda Civic Si hatchback. You won't regret it.

+1. I'd avoid 2000 and newer Eclipses in general. They tend to be bought by those that couldn't afford what they really wanted, and don't maintain them properly. That's why they're cheap used.

SJBimmer 01-31-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwsqbm (Post 7350334)
+1. I'd avoid 2000 and newer eclipses in general. They tend to be bought by those that couldn't afford what they really wanted, and don't maintain them properly. That's why they're cheap used.

+2 They look ok, but are terrible cars.

TannerT 02-01-2013 08:39 AM

Unless you can really get in and fix thongs yourself and can afford atleast 1 grand in maintenance per year don't get a Bimmer. They really aren't too bad to maintain if you can do all of the work yourself. They really are not bad to work on. Mine is my 3rd car and by far the easiest to work on. Be prepared for cooling system and suspension atleast. Then probably CCV and VCG read the e46 wiki to get a feel for what problems you may run into. Like has been stated about BMs are not the kind of car you service once a year by changing oil air filter and spark plugs. I have my hood up every weekend just trying to find things to fix before they go caput

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App

OfTheLost 02-01-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TannerT (Post 7352768)
Unless you can really get in and fix thongs yourself and can afford atleast 1 grand in maintenance per year don't get a Bimmer. They really aren't too bad to maintain if you can do all of the work yourself. They really are not bad to work on. Mine is my 3rd car and by far the easiest to work on. Be prepared for cooling system and suspension atleast. Then probably CCV and VCG read the e46 wiki to get a feel for what problems you may run into. Like has been stated about BMs are not the kind of car you service once a year by changing oil air filter and spark plugs. I have my hood up every weekend just trying to find things to fix before they go caput

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App

Tanner i dont know if youve looked at the OP's post history, but hes had an e46 for a little while now and seems to have nothing but trouble with it. I dont know why he is considering another one at this point.

OP-

Im sure youve been told this before, but why dont you just get a good cheap economy car for now while you finish school? I drove my first car through college before i paid cash for my BMW, and even then i should have had more money stashed away for repairs. My car also got the crap beat out of it at school in the small crappy parking lots and drunk kids who have no respect for other peoples property, so i glad i didnt have a nice car then.

At your age you need to spend your time chasing girls and making questionable choices, not stressing and working on your car every other weekend! :thumbup:

Fishful Thinking 02-01-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kshade40 (Post 7350320)
My dad would pay for the lease

This. Don't look back. Focus on your education and go as far as you can while accumulating as little debt as possible. You have precious few years to get your sh!t together, so don't waste them. Then focus on getting a good job in your chosen field. Once you've "arrived" reward yourself with a new car, as you will have truly earned it.

vandyboy 02-02-2013 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OfTheLost (Post 7352882)
OP-

Im sure youve been told this before, but why dont you just get a good cheap economy car for now while you finish school? I drove my first car through college before i paid cash for my BMW, and even then i should have had more money stashed away for repairs. My car also got the crap beat out of it at school in the small crappy parking lots and drunk kids who have no respect for other peoples property, so i glad i didnt have a nice car then.

At your age you need to spend your time chasing girls and making questionable choices, not stressing and working on your car every other weekend! :thumbup:

Of his three options, this is why I suggested the Eclipse - cars at school do get the crap beat out of them. You wouldn't have to worry about keeping a lease car in perfect condition or having to repair a BMW.

I'd keep looking until I found something that felt right.

jvr826 02-02-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TannerT (Post 7352768)
Unless you can really get in and fix thongs yourself

Cal you?:D