Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shingles (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673418)

GarySL 01-30-2013 05:41 PM

Shingles

Last year a close friend got a case of shingles that broke out in her ear & eye. It was a severe case that got me to thinking about getting a shingles vaccine, which I got.

Guess what, 6 months later now I have shingles. It was first expressed as a dermal hot spot in my lower back. It felt like a scrape, reminded me of an old soccer injury where a set a cleats waffled my skin. But there is no bruise, no surface break & I hadn't walked into any doorway. The hot spot slowly wrapped around my flank approaching my belly button. My doctor said I'm not contagious, it will soon pass although he was surprised there are no skin lesions.

So I'll suck it up, & get on with life but looking forward to a Santa Barbara & San Diego vacation soon & bummed I have to travel with what feels like a kick to the kidney. Anyone out there with medication or home-grown remedy advise? TIA

johnc_22 01-30-2013 06:15 PM

I've had shingles and it sucks. Same symptoms at first with bilateral (?) rash on front and back left side of abdomen/back. I also had the worst headache I think I've ever experienced and was seeing black spots in my vision by the time I got in to see the doctor.

They put me on Percocet for the headaches and Valtrex (shingles/chickenpox are a form of herpes, and this is the antiviral that is used). Every time I took that stuff I would experience extreme nausea and had to take strong anti-nausea med to counteract that (which would promptly put me to sleep).

It took me probably 2.5 weeks to get back to full speed, but I have a kidney transplant and so am immunosuppressed. I wish you a speedy recovery as I know it's no fun.

GarySL 01-30-2013 06:20 PM

Thanks John. My daughter gave me a lead on the antiviral med but she didn't know the name. Valtrex, got it, although from your experience it can have significant side effects.

So far, I've got an excuse to ease out of the office but don't want to be miserable on vacation.

geebeemer 01-30-2013 06:31 PM

Chicken pox, revisited - had a scare last year over this, Dr prescribed Valtrex as well - described the treatment as a manner to minimize the effects/duration. Turns out it wasn't shingles, just a reaction to kidney pain, of all things. :tsk:

Hope it doesn't last long. :(

GarySL 01-30-2013 06:38 PM

Thx GB, I thought kidney effect at first. The doctor's receptionist had me ready for a gall bladder removal. I just decided to go in and see what the the doc thought.

Wish I didn't prefer sleeping on my right side.

AndrewZ 01-30-2013 08:45 PM

Hope you feel better soon!

stylinexpat 01-30-2013 08:56 PM

Get well soon.

Espresso 01-30-2013 09:13 PM

I got shingles a few years ago. A-typical. I made the mistake of thinking it was heat rash at first & waited 2 weeks to see the doc. Took me almost two months to heal. It IS NOT contagious, that is correct.

There is NO vaccine for shingles. Once you have it there is a 10 day med (I cannot recall what i took) & it went away in two weeks...so I had them 1 1/2 months.

Get the meds & take them. You will be glad you did.

babikes 01-31-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Espresso (Post 7349962)
I got shingles a few years ago. A-typical. I made the mistake of thinking it was heat rash at first & waited 2 weeks to see the doc. Took me almost two months to heal. It IS NOT contagious, that is correct.

There is NO vaccine for shingles. Once you have it there is a 10 day med (I cannot recall what i took) & it went away in two weeks...so I had them 1 1/2 months.

Get the meds & take them. You will be glad you did.

There is a vaccine for shingles indicated for those >60yrs old (see http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/...-need-know.htm). It's ~ 51% effective.

GarySL 01-31-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babikes (Post 7350702)
There is a vaccine for shingles indicated for those >60yrs old (see http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/...-need-know.htm). It's ~ 51% effective.

+1, and I ended up in the 49% pile.

Espresso 01-31-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babikes (Post 7350702)

Ah... Thank you for the info.

I see you are in Ft Meyers. I lived in port Charlotte before moving here in 2006.

Paul335i 01-31-2013 11:25 AM

My brother contracted shingles a few years ago. He was in a lot of pain.

GarySL 02-26-2013 04:52 PM

Just when I thought my bout was over (skin surface burning in right lower back & across belt line to my belly button, innervation origin approximately T9) after 4 weeks, I'm experiencing a new outbreak (feels like a scrape but nothing is at all visible) across my chest, along my ribs on my left side just below my armpit (innervation est. T4). Called my doctor, which he says a recurrence is extremely rare (can & does happen) & I get to see him again later this week. At least it didn't spoil our vacation, affect my work, appear infected or bother my sleep. It's just annoying. :(

SailinSand 02-26-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarySL (Post 7406900)
Just when I thought my bout was over (skin surface burning in right lower back & across belt line to my belly button, innervation origin approximately T9) after 4 weeks, I'm experiencing a new outbreak (feels like a scrape but nothing is at all visible) across my chest, along my ribs on my left side just below my armpit (innervation est. T4). Called my doctor, which he says a recurrence is extremely rare (can & does happen) & I get to see him again later this week. At least it didn't spoil our vacation, affect my work, appear infected or bother my sleep. It's just annoying. :(

So sorry to hear, how painful/annoying! Hope you're feeling better soon. ...glad you at least got to enjoy your vacation!

gpburdell 02-26-2013 05:51 PM

Ouch, that sucks. Hope you heal up fast.

I had shingles on my face and in one eye three years ago. No fun at all.

TeamM3 02-28-2013 08:05 AM

had them on my roof, but that's all :eeps:

hope you're better now :)

johnc_22 02-28-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarySL (Post 7406900)

From what I've heard it can cause permanent nerve damage where sensations of the original infection will be detected. I had this for a while after I got over it, but it eventually went away. Hope you don't have another full blown outbreak.