Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   2013 X3 - Heater Fan issue? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673550)

Hesham 01-31-2013 12:04 PM

2013 X3 - Heater Fan issue?

Did anyone have an issue with their heater fan not working in really cold temperature?
I have a 2013 X3 28i and on a really cold day (-30c) after starting my car, I turned on the cabin fan/heater and nothing happened. There was no air being blown into the car cabin no matter what temperature/fan speed setting I chose.

I ended up driving with no heat for a few minutes and once the car warmed up the fan started working normally again. I am suspecting it had to do with the very cold temperature we had that day and the fact that the car was parked outside overnight. Something may have frozen and prevented the fan from properly working!

It seems odd that this would happen on a new BMW, and I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience.

This only happened once (on that day when it was -30c) and the fan seems to work normally since.

Just wondering if I need to be worried about it?

Thanks.
Hesham.

noka 01-31-2013 12:16 PM

-22F? Holy crap!

csmcphail 02-02-2013 08:48 AM

Likely not an issue

Sensors look at ambient temperature. Fan won't activate until engine has warmed to the point where you can be spared a blast of icy air coming from vents.

slambmw 02-02-2013 11:31 AM

I thought this was a problem, but check the dial beside each vent. You can actually change from cold to warm.

noka 02-02-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slambmw (Post 7354990)
I thought this was a problem, but check the dial beside each vent. You can actually change from cold to warm.

I thought that was only on the center vents.

slambmw 02-02-2013 12:40 PM

Sorry, the centre front/rear vents only. Don't understand why you need to change the temperature when you can set the value on your centre console.

Not sure why they have this secondary temperature control for essentially the same purpose.

noka 02-02-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slambmw (Post 7355093)
Sorry, the centre front/rear vents only. Don't understand why you need to change the temperature when you can set the value on your centre console.

Not sure why they have this secondary temperature control for essentially the same purpose.

Some people like the cabin at a certain temp but prefer to have cooler air in the center, which is more likely to hit their face. I think it is kind of a 'safety' feature, as cooler air on your face is more likely to keep you awake if you are tired than warm air (but I could be wrong about that).

lbjgh 02-02-2013 07:28 PM

The heat comes from the engine not the "heater". With the hvac on auto the fan will not blow cold air on you as per this post.

If you prefer -30c air blowing in your face you can drive with the window down with your head out the window or manually turn the fan on high before the engine warms up. :p

On those cold days I prefer not to have cold drafts but the steering wheel and heated seats cranked.
Quote:

Originally Posted by csmcphail (Post 7354724)
Sensors look at ambient temperature. Fan won't activate until engine has warmed to the point where you can be spared a blast of icy air coming from vents.