Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Valve Cover question, please Help ASAP!! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673672)

t3r10 02-01-2013 12:15 AM

Valve Cover question, please Help ASAP!!

So the other day, I was replacing my valve cover gasket on my 2001 BMW 325i sedan and all went well until I was placing it back on. I ended up tightening two of the "nuts" too tight and they broke the bolt they screw onto(one is an outer bolt and the the other is a center bolt). Can they be replaced? And if so are they expensive?

ahull 02-01-2013 05:55 AM

advanced search titles on "valve cover stud"

SJBimmer 02-01-2013 09:18 AM

A proper torque wrench is your friend. Luckily, you didn't break the valve cover.

GoForthFast 02-01-2013 11:59 PM

Dealer sells new ones and they unscrew.
After you broke the first, foolish to do the second too tight. But you already know that.
There is no point in pushing these any further than when they bottom out. Forget the torque wrench.

TannerT 02-02-2013 09:57 AM

I did the same thing. Honestly probably 15ft-lbs will crack them. Go to the dealer and pick some up. I got about 5 the bee safe in the future. Just tighten until the rubber gromet is well compressed.

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App

SJBimmer 02-02-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoForthFast (Post 7354389)
Forget the torque wrench.

Maybe you can get away with it in this instance, but torque values exist for a reason. Since I have several, I use them.

GoForthFast 02-02-2013 10:32 PM

I agree, of course they do.
But in this instance it is kinda pointless.

SJBimmer 02-03-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoForthFast (Post 7355908)
I agree, of course they do.
But in this instance it is kinda pointless.

The OP wouldn't have broken them if a torque wrench had been used, would he? I have seen people loosen lug nuts with a torque wrench. Now that is pointless. :)

t3r10 03-02-2013 02:19 AM

Hey guys, I need help I'm confused at this point. I replaced my valve cover gasket and let it sit for a day. The day after I drove it. After my destination, I looked under my hood and saw that it was leaking again. It was wet on a specific bolt that sits right above the O2 sensor, which leaking from there causes it to smoke really bad because it drips onto the headers/O2 sensor. Now I took it to my mechanic because he thought that I had done it wrong but when he did it(with a new gasket), he let it sit for two days. The day after I picked it up before heading to work and noticed the same thing. It was leaking from that specific bolt. The bolt is wet on top of it, which is what puzzles me. Is there too much pressure in the valve cover that is causing this or is my valve cover warped? please help me ASAP!

lgr122 03-02-2013 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoForthFast (Post 7354389)
Forget the torque wrench.

:thumbup:

If someone want to use torque wrench, i wouldn't say it's wrong.

But i don't feel much need for it myself. Only if I need to really get something exceptionally tight for sure. Normally i just trust my fingers. Need to be careful with small bolts so that wouldn't brake them, and big ones can just put as tight as i can without any worries.

jonathan2263 03-02-2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t3r10 (Post 7414594)
Hey guys, I need help I'm confused at this point. I replaced my valve cover gasket and let it sit for a day. The day after I drove it. After my destination, I looked under my hood and saw that it was leaking again. It was wet on a specific bolt that sits right above the O2 sensor, which leaking from there causes it to smoke really bad because it drips onto the headers/O2 sensor. Now I took it to my mechanic because he thought that I had done it wrong but when he did it(with a new gasket), he let it sit for two days. The day after I picked it up before heading to work and noticed the same thing. It was leaking from that specific bolt. The bolt is wet on top of it, which is what puzzles me. Is there too much pressure in the valve cover that is causing this or is my valve cover warped? please help me ASAP!

So long as you're sure the gasket was installed properly, with sealant on the half moon sections, you're not using a cheap Chinese aftermarket gasket, and all the grommets are in place and the bolts properly torqued, then unfortunately, all that's left is a warped or cracked valve cover.

Jimmys 530i 03-02-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan2263 (Post 7414642)
So long as you're sure the gasket was installed properly, with sealant on the half moon sections, you're not using a cheap Chinese aftermarket gasket, and all the grommets are in place and the bolts properly torqued, then unfortunately, all that's left is a warped or cracked valve cover.

+1 I would say a cracked valve cover. Look right above the bolt and see if there is a crack in the plastic.

iskoos 03-02-2013 08:26 PM

I use torque wrench for each DIY. Before I start any DIY, I write down all the torque values so I don't have to search for them when I am in the middle of the job.
Some experience mechanics may get away w/o using it since turning wrench is what they do for a living. This is not for every body...