Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Black Ice.. Possibly Totaled Her Thanks To AirBags (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673693)

bimcwe 02-01-2013 05:39 AM

Black Ice.. Possibly Totaled Her Thanks To AirBags

Slid on some black ice into a curb while leaving work the other day. Only damage cosmetic wise is to my drivers side front wheel, chipped the rim. But it broke the ball joint and likely other things.. the wheel moves freely left to right if you push it. But... the side airbags deployed. I just got the estimate back at $3,000. I'm afraid that that + the repairs is may leave me with insurance totaling the car. :bawling:
WHY ARE AIRBAGS SO EXPENSIVE? I always heard people joke about hitting a deep pothole and totaling their car, but I thought it was an exaggeration. This is nuts.

halltristan 02-01-2013 06:12 AM

Not to be a jerk but in the future you should avoid anything on the road that looks wet. I've never had a problem with black ice; I don't really understand how people wreck from it when it's do easy to avoid.

Good luck with the car.

new_kid 02-01-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimcwe (Post 7352448)
I'm scared that that + the repairs is going to leave me with insurance calling the car totaled. :bawling:
WHY ARE AIRBAGS SO EXPENSIVE? I always heard people joke about hitting a deep pothole and totaling their car, but I thought it was an exaggeration. This is nuts.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

But if they totaled the vehicle maybe you can turn it around to your benefit. If there are no car payments and since you know the all-around damage, buy back the salvage (cheap) and repair it with good used parts, drive for a while and save your funds to buy another someday.

bimcwe 02-01-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halltristan (Post 7352490)
Not to be a jerk but in the future you should avoid anything on the road that looks wet. I've never had a problem with black ice; I don't really understand how people wreck from it when it's do easy to avoid.

Good luck with the car.

That looks wet? Lol it was nighttime in the work lot and they lack proper lighting on the BLACKTOP exit strip. :confused: I slid entering the last corner. I wasn't going but 20-25 mph, simply couldn't stop.
Quote:

Originally Posted by new_kid (Post 7352506)
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

But if they totaled the vehicle maybe you can turn it around to your benefit. If there are no car payments and since you know the all-around damage, buy back the salvage (cheap) and repair it with good used parts, drive for a while and save your funds to buy another someday.

I was thinking that that would be a viable option. But to replace the airbags would still be incredibly expensive =\. And I'm not entirely sure I'd want to trust my life to my own DIY airbag repacking. Lol not sure how safe of a DIY that is.

halltristan 02-01-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimcwe (Post 7352575)
That looks wet? Lol it was nighttime in the work lot and they lack proper lighting on the BLACKTOP exit strip. :confused: I slid entering the last corner. I wasn't going but 20 mph, simply couldn't stop.

If you totaled the car you were going faster than 20 mph and your car has lights so you can't really blame it on the street lights. And yes black ice glistens like water. It's pretty simple, you shouldn't go speeding in wet conditions. Lesson learned hopefully.

bimcwe 02-01-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halltristan (Post 7352601)
If you totaled the car you were going faster than 20 mph and your car has luggt

Did you read? Lol the only reason it could be totaled is due to the price of replacing the airbags. Not due to the actual damage to the vehicle.

halltristan 02-01-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimcwe (Post 7352603)
Did you read? Lol the only reason it could be totaled is due to the price of replacing the airbags. Not due to the actual damage to the vehicle.

You wouldn't be replacing air bags had you drove better. You can spin it anyway you want but your driving is still the root cause.

bimcwe 02-01-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halltristan (Post 7352627)
You wouldn't be replacing air bags had you drove better. You can spin it anyway you want but your driving is still the root cause.

Ok. I value your sardonicism.

new_kid 02-01-2013 07:54 AM

Airbags can be had from similar BMW in junkyard that have not deployed. Check around.
I think maybe your airbag light will stay lit for awhile but there is some way I think you can reset and clear it.

Edit: Check with Car-Part.com in your local area in your State. Good Luck Mate.

TannerT 02-01-2013 08:06 AM

What's the year and millage the e46 is getting old but still not a throwaway car. It took 3.2 grand to total my brother 01 grandam GT(just and awful car) with 170k on it..

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App

halltristan 02-01-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimcwe (Post 7352633)
Ok. I value your sardonicism.

You should. And the idea of finding airbags from a junk yard is a good one. If you'll take pictures I'll try to help you figure out what you're looking at cost wise.

JKRIT 02-01-2013 08:25 AM

Check your state laws regarding purchasing and installing a used air bag. For example, that practice is illegal in NY.

bimcwe 02-01-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Check your state laws regarding purchasing and installing a used air bag. For example, that practice is illegal in NY.
http://cache.jezebel.com/assets/imag...shockoprah.gif

I figure if someone wants to risk it, let them Lol. But yeah I'll be sure to check.

Quote:

What's the year and millage the e46 is getting old but still not a throwaway car. It took 3.2 grand to total my brother 01 grandam GT(just and awful car) with 170k on it..
It's a 2002 with 120k miles on her. Mechanically sound minus the need for new springs. Cosmetically she's in pristine condition, hardly any scratches except for a few fine ones on the trunk and those are only noticeable to me or someone with a flashlight and a magnifying glass. Lol. And alright @Hallistan, I'll let you know, thanks.

new_kid 02-01-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimcwe (Post 7352831)
It's a 2002 with 120k miles on her. Mechanically sound minus the need for new springs. Cosmetically she's in pristine condition, hardly any scratches except for a few fine ones on the trunk and those are only noticeable to me or someone with a flashlight and a magnifying glass. Lol. And alright @Hallistan, I'll let you know, thanks.

Sounds like a beauty with a lot of life left in her.
Black ice is a driver's nightmare in the midwest.

In any event, the final choice is yours.

ps: I fixed the link in my last post(car-part.com), as it wasn't working as it should.

cwsqbm 02-01-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halltristan (Post 7352490)

Good luck with the car.

Somebody piss in your cheerios this morning? If you have to start as sentence with "Not to be a jerk", you're being a jerk. He wasn't trying to deflect blame but instead just find a solution to his situation.

There are plenty of salvage yards that sell recycled airbags online. A ten year old airbag that didn't deploy is just as good as the original ten year old airbag was before it deployed. Legality doesn't seem to be an issue for most states.

halltristan 02-01-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwsqbm (Post 7352860)
There are plenty of salvage yards that sell recycled airbags online. A ten year old airbag that didn't deploy is just as good as the original ten year old airbag was before it deployed. Legality doesn't seem to be an issue for most states.

It is only illegal if you are caught; except in some circumstances where morality also plays a part.

The biggest problem with deployed air bags is the damage caused to other pieces. If the A pillar bag deployed, you're goiong to have to also replace the trim pieces which will be around $100 of eBay. Again, if you'll will provide more details or pics I can give you a ballpark figure of what you're looking at and then AND ONLY THEN, can you make an informed decision of what to do next.

In fact, it is pointless for anyone else to waste any more time on this issue without further details.

chris328 02-01-2013 10:29 AM

dude what is that in your sig are you some kind of hacker bro.

BLT 02-01-2013 10:33 AM

I currently own a 66 Mustang convertible and a 87 VW Vanagon Camper neither have any airbags. So if you can't afford to replace the airbags you will need to make the decision if you "need" them. Just my 2 cents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimcwe (Post 7352603)

halltristan 02-01-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLT (Post 7353039)
I currently own a 66 Mustang convertible and a 87 VW Vanagon Camper neither have any airbags. So if you can't afford to replace the airbags you will need to make the decision if you "need" them. Just my 2 cents.

Unfortunately, if you don't replace them in a BMW the airbag light will stay lite. You probably could use a wire though to complete the circuit and make the system think it has an airbag when it doesn't. But if you're going to spend that much time and effort into it you might as well do it right.

Fishful Thinking 02-01-2013 12:27 PM

If you haven't already contacted your insurance, I'd say don't. If you go the insurance route, you can look at higher expenses with an increase in your rate, the cost in time and money trying to find a decent replacement, etc. Not to mention, if you decide to buy the totalled car back, it's resale value will be much less, should you ever decide to sell it later. Plus, if you were to have a second accident any time soon, they could drop you entirely. I suggest that it'd be cheaper and no more of a hassle to just deal with this out of pocket. You can get the supension fixed and aligned, or rent a lift/put the car up on jack stands and see for yourself what's broken. Take pics and show us what's broken, and lots of folks with tons of experience (Smolk, are you there?) can chime in with helpful advice. And don't feel too bad about the negative comments about your driving. Those folks weren't behind the wheel, and therefore don't know the exact circumstances. Good luck!

ahull 02-02-2013 06:05 AM

^^ Agree. Fix it. Get salvaged airbags if you really feel you need to replace as they are quite expensive new and as others have said, there are many cars on the road without them. Personally I'd try to find them as I'd rather have them if I ever were to get in a bad wreck and need them.

dredreson 02-02-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halltristan (Post 7352627)

You're a dick.:thumbdwn:

vandyboy 02-02-2013 10:22 AM

I would definitely try to obtain a used wheel and airbags, which are commonly installed by car lots and shops. Also, take this opportunity to check out the front suspension for refresh items while you fix the damage. I get screwed everytime I make a claim on my auto policy - I've fixed several "incidents" on my own. This doesn't sound too bad at all.

halltristan 02-02-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dredreson (Post 7354925)
You're a dick.:thumbdwn:

I would rather be a dick than a 17 year old kid who drives too fast, blames a wreck on "black ice" and then gets online to cry to everyone. I mean he claims to have only been going 20 mph - bullsh!t. Anyone who actually takes this garbage seriously needs to have their head examined.

I asked for pics yesterday to try to help the OP out and we still haven't gotten any. At this point I think its all a lie to get attention.

1naztyx5 02-02-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halltristan (Post 7355046)
I would rather be a dick than a 17 year old kid who drives too fast, blames a wreck on "black ice" and then gets online to cry to everyone. I mean he claims to have only been going 20 mph - bullsh!t. Anyone who actually takes this garbage seriously needs to have their head examined.

I asked for pics yesterday to try to help the OP out and we still haven't gotten any. At this point I think its all a lie to get attention.

Easy man No need for all of that, I agree 20mph on a work parking lot is "fast" at least by most work place parking guidelines and this would be a good example of why. But the repair is coming out of his pocket nobody else's . Lesson learned..hopefully