Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Interactive Steering Fault X5 35d mSport (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673732)

dollylachienne 02-01-2013 09:20 AM

Interactive Steering Fault X5 35d mSport

Hi, I have a Sept 2009 X5 35d mSport. Almost since the car was new i have experienced an ongoing fault with the interactive steering. It manifests itself in different ways from "Interactive Steering Failure, DSC failure, 4X4 failure" diagnostic messages which clear themselves within a few minutes. These 'gong' messages usually occur at very low speeds and with little or no movement in the steering wheel. The other type of problem, which occurred again today, is when manouevering into a parking space and partial to full lock is used. Again the same diagnostics appear but the steering wheel remains at an odd angle and the steering is excessively heavy. In the past this has necessitated the car being towed to the dealership and for them to have the car for 3 to 4 days. They have twice replaced wiring looms and a battery but the problem persists. The warranty has now expired but the service manager acknowledges that this is the same problem and therefore i am not charged for the 'repairs'. Today I drove the car home and as I turned into my garage the fault cleared and the on screen diagnostics disappeared. This is the first time this has happened. The car has been in the dealership on at least 10 occasions for this issue. I am at my wits end in that I have no faith that they will ever eradicate the problem which has persisted for over 3 years. Has anyone out there experienced this same fault and if so did you ever get it fixed?

NoI4plz 02-01-2013 11:08 AM

Advice:
As soon as the car gets fixed under goodwill. Sell it. I would have suggested a dying battery causing this or module however since its a
Recurrent fault I doubt that would be the case.

Question:

If you had this recurrent fault since new, experienced failure 10 times why didn't u just lemon the vehicle? It would seem
Odd that a person who has a pretty serious mfg issue (involve how u control the vehicle) would be willing to put up with a substandard product.

dollylachienne 02-01-2013 12:01 PM

We have no lemon law in UK otherwise I would have used that recourse.

jashearer 02-01-2013 01:05 PM

35d has hydraulic steering not electric assisted right? And if I recall you can't get the active steering option either.

I would have guessed steering position sensor (related to faults) but that shouldn't impact it physically. Any physical changes (like wheel stuck at an odd angle or heavier then normal) should be related to the pump or the rack since it is a mechanical system.

Have they given you any explanation as to why they think its an electrical issue and not a mechanical one?

Sounds like the only thing they've attempted to replace is wiring which is strange to me.

Sorry the only relative experience I have is with my CTS-V, I would get "stability control engaged" messages when my steering position sensor was failing because the car would sense that it was going straight when it though my wheel was turned. It never impacted the steering feel though.

Jay

dollylachienne 02-01-2013 02:30 PM

Hi, I took the active steering as an optional extra. It seems that the diagnostic fault codes are fed back to BMW UK and they then determine how to proceed. This has included cleaning and greasing various sensor plugs and connectors and replacing wiring looms. This clearly suggests they have believed the problem to be electrical rather than mechanical.

NoI4plz 02-01-2013 03:08 PM

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but the above statement is coming from a person who has put too much blind faith into the capabilities of BMW tech. I'm apologize but BMW mechanics tend to be heavily pre-programmed to associate any issue with electrical troubles and forgetting the essentials of repairing a vehicle. Nonetheless, I would attempt to document all the codes you have received, it may help us help u better.

The active steerin component is hydraulic. However the active steering system does change the ratio based on engine speed and vehicle speed. However i don't see an electrical connection beside sps. I would also think its got to be a faulty mechanical pump of sorts, since according to your account they replaced and diagnosed alOt of electrical systems involved with the steering.

It's disappointing that the uk doesn't have consumer purchase protection laws in regards to vehicle mfg defects.

kanar200 02-01-2013 03:41 PM

I am not an expert in the "consumer's rights" matter, but I would be surprised that the UK does not have consumer purchase protection laws; generally EU consumers have pretty rights

I googled this in a couple of minutes...

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/

quackbury 02-01-2013 03:54 PM

I think the big problem is that your steering wheel is on the wrong side. :o

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

jashearer 02-01-2013 06:39 PM

So the non us d's get active steering as an option???????

jashearer 02-01-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quackbury (Post 7353716)
I think the big problem is that your steering wheel is on the wrong side. :o

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

:thumbup:

kanar200 02-01-2013 07:43 PM

yes, option no 217, not available only on X5 M50d, X5 M

Quote:

Originally Posted by jashearer (Post 7354041)
So the non us d's get active steering as an option???????

jashearer 02-01-2013 09:30 PM

Are you sure about that kanar200, there has been numerous discussions about 35d not being compatible with that option.

I didn't try to order, so it's all second hand.

Jay

kanar200 02-01-2013 09:52 PM

the question was about "non us d's", E70 35d is available only in the US