Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Navigation traffic (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673889)

vabmws 02-02-2013 10:41 AM

Navigation traffic

I've noticed that the traffic alerts and displays on my 2012 BMW are not as accurate as my 2007. The 2007 version used triangles displayed in the roadway with 1, 2 or 3 triangles displayed depending on how heavy the traffic was. The alerts were very accurate.

On the 2012, it just shows triangles on the side of the road and are not accurate at all.

Additionally, I used to get a pop-up screen on the 2007 that said I was approaching traffic but don't get that on the 2012.

Has anyone else noticed this?

530CE 02-02-2013 10:54 AM

Yes and it could be because the new version is a TomTom and it might not have the feature. My wife's X3 has a TomTom (not factory) and I haven't found traffic alerts on it either. Of course in North San Antonio it doesn't matter much because every alternative is usually blocked as well.

markl53 02-02-2013 11:51 AM

My 2011 535i uses gray triangles with varying outline (yellow or red), depending on amount of traffic. Granted, the outlining is a bit hard to discern. In extreme cases, I also get a warning on the multi-function display of "Traffic Jam" or "Accident" with a yellow triangle icon. One issue I have, and others dispute this, is that depending on navigation route, the traffic indicator on nearby roads will disappear, the system thinking I won't consider those routes as alternates. I would like all traffic displays near where I am travelling to remain present, regardless of my specific road route. Also, I don't get any traffic indicators unless guidance is actually engaged. I know of at least one board member who claims traffic indicators are always present, guidance mode or not.

HWF 02-02-2013 01:37 PM

On my 2012 535, I'm pretty sure I get the gray traffic triangles even when I'm not in guidance mode.

Needsdecaf 02-02-2013 03:01 PM

Yup, I also get them guidance on or off.

The "pop up" alert...still trying to figure that out. I think that's only if you have guidance selected.

markl53 02-02-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf (Post 7355231)
The "pop up" alert...still trying to figure that out. I think that's only if you have guidance selected.

Yes, only with guidance mode engaged. And it only happens in extreme cases, sometimes a mile or so before you reach the problem area.

And, you are "that" person I mentioned (which you knew :)). So sometimes I turn on guidance on my way to work (7 miles) just to get a timing. One route is to take 370 to 270 for about 1.5 miles. There are always traffic triangles showing on 270, in guidance mode. If I don't take the turn it is telling me to take to get to 270 (I go a different, better way), the triangles immediately disappear from 270 even though guidance is still engaged, because it assumes I will not take 270. Not until I actually get back on (via 370), do the 270 triangles appear again. Also, if I turn guidance off altogether, the triangles disappear. I don't think I've gotten all the software updates you have, maybe that is why mine might act differently.