Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Weird noise coming from engine. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673921)

Jsmk23 02-02-2013 12:47 PM

Weird noise coming from engine.
 
I have a question for you guys. There's a whistling/rubbing noise coming from engine when I start it up. The noise gets louder as I accelerate but goes away after 5-10 of driving.

It usually does this from a cold start up.

Also, I tried to listen if it's coming from the pulleys but it sounds like it's coming from more in the middle of the engine.



http://youtu.be/ukIYXo1hqQk

allancharlton 02-03-2013 05:04 AM

that is almost the same problem i have. but more of a rattle and now i am getting a misfire at low revs.....are you having any other problems?

Jsmk23 02-03-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allancharlton (Post 7356131)
that is almost the same problem i have. but more of a rattle and now i am getting a misfire at low revs.....are you having any other problems?

No nothing else besides the noise.

01e46sprt 02-03-2013 03:59 PM

I have The same issue on my 01 325. It's your secondary air pump. It runs only when the car is cold to warm the cats. Only runs for about 5 mins than goes away. What's happening is it's become dirty after so long and that's what causes the noise. It's not a big deal if you can deal with the whistle for 5 mins every morning. Atleast that's what my mechanic told lol.

Jsmk23 02-03-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01e46sprt (Post 7357356)
I have The same issue on my 01 325. It's your secondary air pump. It runs only when the car is cold to warm the cats. Only runs for about 5 mins than goes away. What's happening is it's become dirty after so long and that's what causes the noise. It's not a big deal if you can deal with the whistle for 5 mins every morning. Atleast that's what my mechanic told lol.

Did you ever change it? And would you know if it's hard to do?

01e46sprt 02-03-2013 09:41 PM

No I didn't change it because i heard the part alone is like $600. On the other hand today I got a SES light and code p0171 is what came up when I scanned it. Do you have a SES light on ? The reason I'm asking is because it may not be the secondary air pump it could be a torn intake hose (vacuum leak) if that's the case the part is well under $100. Lmk ASAP.

Fast Bob 02-03-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsmk23 (Post 7357872)
Did you ever change it? And would you know if it's hard to do?

No need to change anything....that`s just the way it`s *supposed* to function....

01e46sprt 02-03-2013 09:46 PM

I can still slightly hear mine after the car is at proper running temp. Also the p0171 code is leading me to believe that there's a tear in that boot/hose which is causing the whistle and running to lean ??? May also be jsmk's problem as well

Jsmk23 02-03-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01e46sprt (Post 7357878)
No I didn't change it because i heard the part alone is like $600. On the other hand today I got a SES light and code p0171 is what came up when I scanned it. Do you have a SES light on ? The reason I'm asking is because it may not be the secondary air pump it could be a torn intake hose (vacuum leak) if that's the case the part is well under $100. Lmk ASAP.

Wow lol it's funny you say that because the SES actually came on earlier today on my way home.

01e46sprt 02-03-2013 10:54 PM

Have someone scan it and find out what the code is. If its p0171 we both have same issue. Also how long has the noise been there ?

Jsmk23 02-03-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01e46sprt (Post 7357934)
Have someone scan it and find out what the code is. If its p0171 we both have same issue. Also how long has the noise been there ?

I had the car about a month. And it's been making that noise about 3 weeks now. It's starts on a cold startup and gets loud as I accelerate and goes away 5 mins.

01e46sprt 02-03-2013 11:36 PM

Ya sounds like same issue as mine. Lmk what that code is ASAP.

Jsmk23 02-03-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01e46sprt (Post 7357960)
Ya sounds like same issue as mine. Lmk what that code is ASAP.

Will do, Thanks.
Do you happen to know what your code means?

01e46sprt 02-03-2013 11:53 PM

Well it says system is too lean which means there's more air than fuel mixing which means there's a vacuum leak somewhere. Hopefully it's leaking from the intake boot. Have it swapped out and problem solved.

Jsmk23 02-04-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01e46sprt (Post 7357971)
Well it says system is too lean which means there's more air than fuel mixing which means there's a vacuum leak somewhere. Hopefully it's leaking from the intake boot. Have it swapped out and problem solved.

When do you plan on changing yours?

On e46 fanatics, ppl are telling me it's the pulleys/tensioners

jonathan2263 02-04-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsmk23 (Post 7357959)
I had the car about a month. And it's been making that noise about 3 weeks now. It's starts on a cold startup and gets loud as I accelerate and goes away 5 mins.

The SAP doesn't get louder as you accelerate. It actually gets drowned out by other sounds. So the possible good news is, investigate for a vacuum leak. If its just a torn or loose boot, it's a lot cheaper than replacing the pump.

Jsmk23 02-04-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan2263 (Post 7358219)
The SAP doesn't get louder as you accelerate. It actually gets drowned out by other sounds. So the possible good news is, investigate for a vacuum leak. If its just a torn or loose boot, it's a lot cheaper than replacing the pump.

Thanks bro. Glad to hear that.

Jsmk23 02-05-2013 02:39 PM

Just went to pepboys to get the codes because autozone couldn't do it.

And I got 2 codes.


P0430 & P0444

01e46sprt 02-05-2013 03:02 PM

Check these 2 threads. Both from this forum. Should answer your questions.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=917830

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=391106

Jsmk23 02-05-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01e46sprt (Post 7361841)
Check these 2 threads. Both from this forum. Should answer your questions.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=917830

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=391106

Thanks man, idk where to start. Now idk if the pulleys is what's making the noise.

01e46sprt 02-05-2013 04:05 PM

It may sound crazy but have someone check the alternator. If the bearings inside go bad they'll make the noise you posted in the video. Btw I just noticed there was a video and watched it and your noise is much different than mine. You have more of a metal to metal type jingling noise for lack of better words. Could very well be an alternator on its way out. Just seen the pic to looks like a really nice clean car.

Jsmk23 02-05-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01e46sprt (Post 7361991)
It may sound crazy but have someone check the alternator. If the bearings inside go bad they'll make the noise you posted in the video. Btw I just noticed there was a video and watched it and your noise is much different than mine. You have more of a metal to metal type jingling noise for lack of better words. Could very well be an alternator on its way out. Just seen the pic to looks like a really nice clean car.

Yeah I know I am confused lol Others say pulleys and others say intake boot. Now with these codes it could mean also a whole other thing.

Thanks bro. You have a pic of yours?

01e46sprt 02-05-2013 04:16 PM

No problem man I hope you figure it all out and everything goes well for you.

I don't have a pic yet. Everytiime I wanna get her cleaned up and snap some pics it starts to snow lol. (NJ). Ill post some up real soon.

Jsmk23 02-05-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01e46sprt (Post 7362014)
No problem man I hope you figure it all out and everything goes well for you.

I don't have a pic yet. Everytiime I wanna get her cleaned up and snap some pics it starts to snow lol. (NJ). Ill post some up real soon.

Thanks I hope so.
For sure bro, can't wait to see some.

Jsmk23 02-05-2013 05:10 PM

Idk if this helps, but after I shut off the engine it makes this air noise.
Here's how it sounds


http://youtu.be/keedG724Z_g


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms