Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Radio Knob gummy (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673964)

Nitrogen 02-02-2013 06:08 PM

Radio Knob gummy
 
I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem I have with my stereo knob.
It's seems like it is all gummed up and melting somehow. Feels sticky and leaves black residue on my fingers when I use it.
Has anyone ever replaced this? Is it even possible?




One other off topic question I was looking in my glove box and I noticed on the inside top there is a little compartment door and when I open it there is a sort of sensor or fiber optic with a red light on the tip.
Any idea what that is?

roseng 02-02-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitrogen (Post 7355474)
One other off topic question I was looking in my glove box and I noticed on the inside top there is a little compartment door and when I open it there is a sort of sensor or fiber optic with a red light on the tip.
Any idea what that is?

That is a fiber connector for programming the main computer for the dealer. There is nothing we can do with it.

Yorgi 02-04-2013 06:57 PM

You can order the knob separately for about $8. It's part #2 in this diagram.

Nitrogen 02-06-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorgi (Post 7359705)
You can order the knob separately for about $8. It's part #2 in this diagram.

Great thanks Yorgi , i'm gonna order it now. Only problem is getting to it.

tampamark 02-07-2013 06:56 AM

On my previous porsche the rubberized button was just a "cover" that you could pull off. I wonder if this is the same?

Many would repair it by putting it on the end of a pencil and dipping it into a can of black plastidip. For $8 the part is a viable option.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Bimmer App

Maalco 02-07-2013 06:42 PM

Little off topic but related...
My button for the drivers window, and the nav button next to the round part on Idrive - both have done edges worn white (they are black).
Options?

Nitrogen 02-15-2013 09:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got my knob today looks a little different than the one on there now.
Anyone know how to change this thing out ?

tampamark 02-15-2013 09:04 PM

I am scared to guess with your knob, but if I had to make an assumption it would be that it pulls straight off...:dunno:

Nitrogen 02-15-2013 09:10 PM

I don't know it seems as if it will break off and if the new one is not the same then what? It's also a push button to mute the radio when looking at this new one I don't know how that would work.

Nitrogen 02-15-2013 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my current knob

Tried to pull on it looks like its gonna snap off .

Yorgi 02-15-2013 10:02 PM

I have never seen a knob that does not pull straight off.

Don't worry about affecting the knobs functionality. The part you are changing is just a rubber cover attached to the metal shaft of a potentiometer, which looks something like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...entiometer.jpg

Nitrogen 02-15-2013 10:10 PM

Thanks yorgi not to worried about functionality as you said it's a potentiometer. It's not really pulling its doing more of stretching. I don't want it to break off and have the rest stay inside. I would rather pull the front cover off and see what's inside. Do you know where the hidden screws are to pull this thing apart?

roseng 02-15-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitrogen (Post 7384295)
Thanks yorgi not to worried about functionality as you said it's potentiometer. It's not really pulling its doing more of stretching. I don't want it to break off and have the rest stay inside. I would rather pull the front cover off and see what's inside. Do you know where the hidden screws are to pull this thing apart?

There are several threads around on removing the radio.

I believe you carefully remove the Hazard/door lock switch and there is one screw behind there. I think everything else is snap in.

tampamark 02-15-2013 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't pull it apart. In the interest of board solidarity I just pulled off my knob. I can confirm a solid yank will yield positive results....

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Bimmer App

Yorgi 02-15-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tampamark (Post 7384314)
Don't pull it apart. In the interest of board solidarity I just pulled off my knob. I can confirm a solid yank will yield positive results....

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Bimmer App

Nice, thanks Mark. I was about to try the same thing, you saved me the effort.

tampamark 02-15-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorgi (Post 7384319)
Nice, thanks Mark. I was about to try the same thing, you saved me the effort.

haha, beat you to the punch! My human techron, Vodka, gave me the bravery to give it a try :bigpimp:

Yorgi 02-15-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tampamark (Post 7384330)
haha, beat you to the punch! My human techron, Vodka, gave me the bravery to give it a try :bigpimp:

LOL, my enabling poison at the moment is Chivas Regal 18.

roseng 02-15-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tampamark (Post 7384314)
Don't pull it apart. In the interest of board solidarity I just pulled off my knob. I can confirm a solid yank will yield positive results....

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Bimmer App

Nice one Mark. Now that's a solid board member. Taking apart his car to confirm how to change a part! :thumbup:

While it's off, I know where you can get a great deal on a gummy knob replacement. :rofl:

roseng 02-15-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorgi (Post 7384340)
LOL, my enabling poison at the moment is Chivas Regal 18.

I wish I had known, I thought you only drank beer! :beerchug:

I would have done better...

tampamark 02-16-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorgi (Post 7384340)
LOL, my enabling poison at the moment is Chivas Regal 18.

Nice! :thumbup:


Quote:

Originally Posted by roseng (Post 7384355)
Nice one Mark. Now that's a solid board member. Taking apart his car to confirm how to change a part! :thumbup:

While it's off, I know where you can get a great deal on a gummy knob replacement. :rofl:

That knob picture was all tore up! Nitrogen must have sandpaper for fingers...:angel:

Yorgi 02-16-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roseng (Post 7384359)
I wish I had known, I thought you only drank beer! :beerchug:

I would have done better...

Beer good, Scotch better.

Next time. :beerchug:

07 E63650i 02-16-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tampamark (Post 7384314)
Don't pull it apart. In the interest of board solidarity I just pulled off my knob. I can confirm a solid yank will yield positive results....

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Bimmer App

Ouch! Thanks for the heads up Mark.

07 E63650i 02-16-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorgi (Post 7384340)
LOL, my enabling poison at the moment is Chivas Regal 18.

Fine choice of liquor Yorgi as my dad just bought the same :D

Nitrogen 02-16-2013 08:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Sand paper fingers huh I should have used that as my name not nitro. It looks bad because its almost as if it melted. I pulled on it and it was about to tear off. So I stopped I pulled it all apart and took some pics.

Bottom line the new knob is not the same and will not fit correctly.
Don't know why it calls for part 65 12 6 923 294 it's to short.

07 E63650i 02-16-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitrogen (Post 7385811)
Sand paper fingers huh I should have used that as my name not nitro. It looks bad because its almost as if it melted. I pulled on it and it was about to tear off. So I stopped I pulled it all apart and took some pics.

Bottom line the new knob is not the same and will not fit correctly.
Don't know why it calls for part 65 12 6 923 294 it's to short.

That sucks. How old is your car?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms