Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   2014 7 series (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673996)

LovinM6 02-02-2013 10:12 PM

2014 7 series

Has anyone confirmed if the 2014 is getting the new digital dash?

f01driver 02-03-2013 01:17 AM

2013 eu models already have the dash so you might see the digital dash on late production 2013's that arrive state side. Btw, you can retrofit the digital dash for around $1500.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Bimmer App

Deutsch100 02-03-2013 07:40 AM

I still DO NOT understand why you guys want the digital dash! Look at the pics of the all new S-Class with 2 large, digital screens. It looks so cold, and oddly dated, even though it is "new technology". I think the current 7 Series instruments are a beautiful mix of "analog" and LCD technology. Look at the digital insturments in the Range Rover and Jag...they are for sure very capable and have proved reliable...but real dials and numbers just look expensive, of quality, classic and the best, IMO!

Leslierc 02-03-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deutsch100 (Post 7356398)
I still DO NOT understand why you guys want the digital dash! Look at the pics of the all new S-Class with 2 large, digital screens. It looks so cold, and oddly dated, even though it is "new technology". I think the current 7 Series instruments are a beautiful mix of "analog" and LCD technology. Look at the digital insturments in the Range Rover and Jag...they are for sure very capable and have proved reliable...but real dials and numbers just look expensive, of quality, classic and the best, IMO!

Agree! Replacing something that's classic doesn't always result in better. Some things in the automotive world are just timeless. I would have to see the digital in person before turning my back on real dials and numbers.

LovinM6 02-03-2013 10:49 AM

I agree but it is coming to all cars so we might as well make the plunge now. The problem I see is that BMW has not done a very good job with the digital dash. The one I have in my Mercedes is not objectionable at all and does not have the problems you describe with the BMW digital dash.

dbs600 02-03-2013 12:36 PM

Retrofits happening now:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781911

Scary / interesting how they can be programed / coded remotely!?

At least BMW retained parts of the dials vs. the unsightly plain slabs MB, LR and Jag employ.

Wonder what Rolls-Royce and Bentley's interpretation of this tech will be, if at all...

Nevertheless, can't wait to see the first examples in-person!

LovinM6 02-03-2013 01:11 PM

I don't quite understand if it is that easy then why would they not be doing it in the US now.

rajeek 02-03-2013 10:10 PM

Just retrofitted my F01 with the full LCD instrument cluster and had coding done today. I know some may disagree, but it is amazing to me! So crisp and more room for phone/music list selections. I love it and would not go back. Interestingly with the new cluster I now also get full exit off ramp and transition pictures on my HUD that I did not get before. Nice added surprise.

My car also the the 6NR/Combox/Apps retrofitted along with a new CIC unit so I can now to time shifting of satellite radio. All in all money well spent in my opinion. Other than the slight bump in HP, my vehicle I suspect is just like the 2014 will be.

ChrisF01 02-03-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovinM6 (Post 7356828)
I agree but it is coming to all cars so we might as well make the plunge now. The problem I see is that BMW has not done a very good job with the digital dash. The one I have in my Mercedes is not objectionable at all and does not have the problems you describe with the BMW digital dash.

He is actually referring to the new S Class dash, not the current generation. Should be released later this year.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2013/01/30...ont-dashboard/

Deutsch100 02-04-2013 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovinM6 (Post 7356828)

Yes!! I mean the upcoming, ALL new S-Class! It has 2 big, black screens. It looks like Kit from Knight Rider. I think the current 2006-2013 S-Class interior is SO, SO much better than the 2014 will be!!!

dbs600 02-04-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deutsch100 (Post 7358059)
It looks like Kit from Knight Rider. I think the current 2006-2013 S-Class interior is SO, SO much better than the 2014 will be!

Based on what I've seen, I agree 1000%. Interior door card design (especially the interior door handle / release design and placement are not Mercedes-like in the least). The rear center stack, which looks Chrysler-like, is also concerning. AND THAT STEERING WHEEL wrapped in wood the traditional way on the top, but lining the inner area on the bottom; Frankenstein-like! Seems as though they did it just to be 'different', which is not good business. Does not scream luxury, does not scream sport, just ugly. Unfortunately, I'm more passionate about the S than the 7, and it hurts more to see a bad S (W222) than a bad 7 (pre-facelift E65). Nevertheless, will reserve final judgment…. :|

chrischeung 02-04-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbs600 (Post 7358332)
AND THAT STEERING WHEEL with wood the traditional way on the top and lining the inner area on the bottom; Frankenstein-like! They did it just to do it to be 'different', which is never good practice.

I'm not sure that is the case. It may have to do with the KITT feature of self driving. Let me know also if I'm not answering correctly.

From what I've read, the car will drive itself but you need to have at least 1 hand on the wheel. By removing the bottom spoke of the steering wheel. you can how rest your hand low horizontally at the bottom of the steering wheel at the 6 o'clock position rather than hold it higher up at the 9 and 3 positions, having your arm in your lap. If that's the case, then it's not really to be different, but different because of a new feature of the car.

I wonder if KITT had the wheel design that way for Michael Knight since KITT was self driving? Sorry for going off topic.

jprescott 02-04-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajeek (Post 7357898)
Just retrofitted my F01 with the full LCD instrument cluster and had coding done today. I know some may disagree, but it is amazing to me! So crisp and more room for phone/music list selections. I love it and would not go back. Interestingly with the new cluster I now also get full exit off ramp and transition pictures on my HUD that I did not get before. Nice added surprise.

My car also the the 6NR/Combox/Apps retrofitted along with a new CIC unit so I can now to time shifting of satellite radio. All in all money well spent in my opinion. Other than the slight bump in HP, my vehicle I suspect is just like the 2014 will be.

Just curious how much it cost with install, tax etc?

rajeek 02-04-2013 09:16 AM

For the LCD cluster it was about $1900. I did the install myself after watching youtube video. Took about 15 min. With the new LCD cluster I now also get proper freeway interchange and off ramp pictures on the HUD that I did not get before. That was a nice bonus.

The 6NR/Combox/Apps/CIC upgrade retrofit was done professionally about 1 year ago and that was about $2800.

MOPAULY 02-10-2013 05:56 PM

The new dash is something I was looking forward to. If I stay 7 it will be the new version, providing it doesn't get ugly.

luigimaster24 08-24-2013 01:58 PM

Looking into doing this retrofit on my 2013 F02... can't wait :D

ndavani 08-24-2013 02:05 PM

Geezus that MBZ is FUGLY as hell. WTF are they thinking? Someone was simply asleep at the wheel, or had a deadline, and just crammed this out. What a friggin ugly interior. Way to go MBZ. It's like a Buick Regal from 1978. WTF? These idiots are smoking the drapes if they think people are going to buy this. Almost as bad as the Bangle butt on the e65's before the change over in 2006.

f01driver 08-24-2013 02:27 PM

All 2014's including the 650's have the new dash.

luigimaster24 08-24-2013 02:34 PM

Does anyone have the part #s and processes needed to retrofit the digital cluster on a 2013 F02?

Thank you

AdamG13 08-24-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndavani (Post 7794556)
Geezus that MBZ is FUGLY as hell. WTF are they thinking? Someone was simply asleep at the wheel, or had a deadline, and just crammed this out. What a friggin ugly interior. Way to go MBZ. It's like a Buick Regal from 1978. WTF? These idiots are smoking the drapes if they think people are going to buy this. Almost as bad as the Bangle butt on the e65's before the change over in 2006.

Haha...I was looking at that large burled wood panel across the front of the dash and knew it reminded me of something, but couldn't place it. Now I remember its the Buick my grandfather had about 10 years back.

wjhughes420384 08-24-2013 07:25 PM

Great, so if we spend enough money on a digital dash we can almost make it look like its not a digital dash!!

rajeek 08-24-2013 07:41 PM

2014 7 series

Quote:

Originally Posted by luigimaster24 (Post 7794598)
Does anyone have the part #s and processes needed to retrofit the digital cluster on a 2013 F02?

Thank you

Install video. 10min and done. Then just needs coding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhzx6rlvfEI

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Tracyp 08-25-2013 10:55 AM

Wow the new dash looks cool but aren't we having enough glitches with the current set up?