Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Brake pads change (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674219)

jgroarke 02-04-2013 03:17 AM

Brake pads change
 
Just coming up for a service and the computer shows rear brake pads up for change soon. If I believe the computer ...

Question:

Local BMW dealership (where I get a free service :-) will charge me 220 to change the rear pads. I know I can get the pads from their spares department for approx 80. That leaves 140 for labour. I know they charge a lot, but that seems extreme.

I called my local garage, who quoted approx 40-50 for the labour costs.

The question is, why would I get BMW to do this, when I can shave nearly 100 off that labour cost? Do BMW do anything special along with changing the pads? I can't believe it's that hard, I did (in my earlier years) change pads on my trusty Orion, but I can't be arsed these days to mess about.

Any advice?

Thanks!

J

noka 02-04-2013 04:50 AM

Maybe they include rotor change also?

jgroarke 02-04-2013 05:56 AM

Ahhh
 
I always wondered what rotor was, US speak for Brake Disc I think :-)

Anyhow - no. It's just for the pads :-/

gfeiner 02-04-2013 08:41 AM

If it has any wear, they will also replace the brake pad wear sensor. That sensor rubs against the rotor when the break pads reach minimum thickness, thereby completing a circuit which alerts u to the fact the pads must be changed asap. Once it wears/rubs like that, it can't be reused

The rear sensor is #12 in this diagram. There is one sensor for the front brakes and one for the rear

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=WX73&mospid=52682&btnr=34_1929&hg=34&fg=13

wpattison 02-04-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfeiner (Post 7358419)
If it has any wear, they will also replace the brake pad wear sensor. That sensor rubs against the rotor when the break pads reach minimum thickness, thereby completing a circuit which alerts u to the fact the pads must be changed asap. Once it wears/rubs like that, it can't be reused

The rear sensor is #12 in this diagram. There is one sensor for the front brakes and one for the rear

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...29&hg=34&fg=13

Yeah, but that sensor was ~$12 for my 2004 X3. I can't imagine it's gone up much on the newer models.

jgroarke 02-04-2013 09:12 AM

That's *really* useful, thanks both.

Does the wear sensor directly feed into the computer, so that's what give the estimation of when to replace pads? i.e. not a manual service center update based on mileage?

Thanks again.

J

jgroarke 02-04-2013 09:14 AM

Sorry - one more thing. Are you saying there is only one sensor per axle? i.e. on EITHER the left or right wheel?

J

gfeiner 02-04-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgroarke (Post 7358502)
Sorry - one more thing. Are you saying there is only one sensor per axle? i.e. on EITHER the left or right wheel?

J

Yes. One per axle

DaveB F25 X3 02-04-2013 11:21 PM

I was quoted 250 by BlueBell Wilmslow, the rear pads need replacing in 3K miles, that would be at 23K. What mileage is yours at J?

jgroarke 02-05-2013 01:21 AM

It's just over 32k. The computer was showing I had 7k left (whether I believe that or not - I'll try to update after my service which I'm patiently waiting to be completed now).

I must say I don't tend to slam the anchors on. I do drive it hard occasionally, but try to anticipate traffic and conditions so I don't have to use the brakes that much.

J

UncleJ 02-05-2013 07:12 AM

So I guess in England you don't get the full maintenance program up to 50K miles? If the wear sensor is not touched it can be reused with the new pads. Buy pads from the dealer's spares department and then have your indy shop install them. Save a few pounds for a nice dinner and a bottle of good wine with your lady. The rear pads seem to wear quicker and at least on mine were replaced and the rotors not changed by the dealer. The front brakes lasted longer, but when they went both the pads and rotors were changed (by BMW on my dime -- or sixpence I guess). BTW the fronts lasted over 60K miles.:angel:

Ian Sanford 02-05-2013 09:53 AM

Rear brake pads
 
I was charged 253.43 made up as follows:
Service-standard scope 19.17 (no idea what this is!)
Service-rear brakes 86.25
Rear brake pads 79.33
X3 rear B (presumably sensor?) 20.44
500 ml brake cleaner 4.78
Plastilube 1.22
VAT 42.24

jgroarke 02-06-2013 02:41 AM

Thanks guys.

A lucky escape for me (or delay :-).

The service showed at 32k miles:

Front pads: 6mm
Read pads: 4mm

They tell me the sensor kicks in a approx 3mm.

michael T 10-05-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleJ (Post 7360620)
So I guess in England you don't get the full maintenance program up to 50K miles? If the wear sensor is not touched it can be reused with the new pads. Buy pads from the dealer's spares department and then have your indy shop install them. Save a few pounds for a nice dinner and a bottle of good wine with your lady. The rear pads seem to wear quicker and at least on mine were replaced and the rotors not changed by the dealer. The front brakes lasted longer, but when they went both the pads and rotors were changed (by BMW on my dime -- or sixpence I guess). BTW the fronts lasted over 60K miles.:angel:

Hi UncleJ,
I thought in most cars, the front brakes wear quicker than rears. why do you the rears of the X3 wear quicker than fronts? Thanks.:)

wavewuver 10-06-2013 04:55 AM

Changed my pads at 60,000 miles. See the following link for details.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=723873


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms