Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Active Front seats in 750LiAH (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674265)

Kar Don 02-04-2013 09:50 AM

Active Front seats in 750LiAH

If you order the luxury seating package it says you get them:
Power-activated sunshade for rear window; Power-activated sunshades for rear side windows; Active front seats that periodically, alternately raises and lower the left and right halves of each front seat cushion; Front ventilated seats

How do you turn them on? I didn't see a button for it.

chrischeung 02-04-2013 10:00 AM

It's on the side of the door - in the row where the seat memory buttons are, closest to the front of the car.

Kar Don 02-04-2013 11:22 AM

Thank you Chris! Very helpful on my 750AH questions. I was able to assume the lease of one of the "lease deal of the year" ED cars! Can't wait :) I just couldn't find the button, on the F10 it is on the climate control panel... good to know!

ChrisF01 02-04-2013 11:24 AM

I have them and never use them, quite frankly they're inferior to MB's messaging seats. It's like someone is underneath your seat poking one side of your cheeks. Wouldn't get that again.

chrischeung 02-04-2013 11:45 AM

I only find them useful on drives of longer than 45 minutes or so. They are pretty intrusive, and not easy to get used to. But I admit they do a fairly good job on those long 2 hour+ drives.

AdamG13 02-04-2013 01:06 PM

I've found it useful on long rides. The ventilation feature is pretty weak though. Nothing like it was on the E65. The noise it makes is more noticeable than the actual cooling/evaporative effect

chrischeung 02-04-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamG13 (Post 7359035)
The ventilation feature is pretty weak though.

That's my opinion as well. I almost can't tell when it is on, though I can hear it. I need to physically lift my back off the seat to really discern the small difference.

NickyBlack 02-04-2013 03:25 PM

it's on the door, and i've used it once for like 5 minutes, pretty useless.

likegadgets 02-04-2013 04:31 PM

Used to have active seats on my 2010 - rarely used it. I don't have it on my 2013 and do not miss it. When they offer a real massage seat will consider it again.

csmeance 02-04-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisF02 (Post 7358781)
I have them and never use them, quite frankly they're inferior to MB's messaging seats. It's like someone is underneath your seat poking one side of your cheeks. Wouldn't get that again.

They are inferior because they aren't massaging seats! They are active seats meant to readjust your spine and torso/pelvis so you have good circulation and your muscles don't get strained/tired from sitting in one position. It's more of a feature to keep the driver refreshed when he gets out of the car than to be a "personal massage".

ZedJes 02-04-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

I had that in my 2009 felt like I was being abused never used the options again. Glad to say that my 2013 does not have the analiser...lol

chrischeung 02-04-2013 08:44 PM

That's actually a very apt analogy. The initial natural reaction is to fight the motion - to try and counter it. But after about 10 minutes, you learn, or get used to just taking it, letting your body ride up and down with the movement. Then it is fine, if not totally normal in feeling.

Deutsch100 02-05-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Exactly!! Had them in my '10 750i, '12 AH7 and '12 Rolls Royce Ghost! Honestly, hated them. It was odd, annoying and SO not a massage. Some times, it just made me want to visit the can, LOL
S-Class massage seats and Bentley GT have awesome massage/active seats!!

Kar Don 02-05-2013 06:50 AM

I'm planning on doing a very long ride in my F02 so I was looking forward to using this feature.

Deutsch100 02-05-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamG13 (Post 7359035)
I've found it useful on long rides. The ventilation feature is pretty weak though. Nothing like it was on the E65. The noise it makes is more noticeable than the actual cooling/evaporative effect

YES!! Same for Mercedes, Bentley, Rolls Royce.... BUT, Range Rover, Toyota/Lexus and Ford/Lincoln actually have chilled, forced air. It not only keeps you dry, but considerably cooler. They are true A/C, climate seats. BMW, MBZ and RR are lame ventilated seats! I was sad that my "13 Phantom is not even available with ventilated seats, but then I just remind myself how poor they were in my last 5+ BMWs and the RR Ghost!

Kar Don 02-05-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deutsch100 (Post 7360575)
YES!! Same for Mercedes, Bentley, Rolls Royce.... BUT, Range Rover, Toyota/Lexus and Ford/Lincoln actually have chilled, forced air. It not only keeps you dry, but considerably cooler. They are true A/C, climate seats. BMW, MBZ and RR are lame ventilated seats! I was sad that my "13 Phantom is not even available with ventilated seats, but then I just remind myself how poor they were in my last 5+ BMWs and the RR Ghost!

My Lexus GS had "ventilated" seats. They just worked well when the car was garaged and not in the sun and blew the cold A/C'ed air from the ducts under the seat through the perforations. If the car was parked in the sun they wouldn't effectively cool the air in the seat. Lincoln, Ford, and Cadillac are the only cars that had the true COOLED seats that you could feel working almost immediately.

al7oot 02-08-2013 02:28 AM

Quote:

totally agree with you. beside you do need it for your Back more than in the cushions.

Popoemt 02-08-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deutsch100 (Post 7360571)
Exactly!! Had them in my '10 750i, '12 AH7 and '12 Rolls Royce Ghost! Honestly, hated them. It was odd, annoying and SO not a massage. Some times, it just made me want to visit the can, LOL
S-Class massage seats and Bentley GT have awesome massage/active seats!!

The Audi A8 has some great massage seats, the ventilated seats in the Audi are pretty good as well, when you have them on you cool down pretty quickly... I was fairly unimpressed with the 7's (both "massage" and ventilation) on the last test drive I did... :thumbdwn: V/r, Tim