Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Heads up display install-2006 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674294)

drbbop 02-04-2013 12:40 PM

Heads up display install-2006
 
Has anyone either installed a heads up display or removed one, and is it possible to retro-fit one in 2006 650 that did not come with one?

07 E63650i 02-04-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drbbop (Post 7358832)
Has anyone either installed a heads up display or removed one, and is it possible to retro-fit one in 2006 650 that did not come with one?

Never heard of retro-fitting one, but good luck with that. It's going to be a tough job. I honestly think you can live without the HUD :)

Yorgi 02-04-2013 07:43 PM

It can be done. There is a DIY on m5board.

07 E63650i 02-05-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorgi (Post 7359810)
It can be done. There is a DIY on m5board.

I stand corrected:(

drbbop 02-05-2013 02:08 PM

Yorgi thanks I will check it out. Only reason why looking is found one for sale , and if easy enough would like to have it

roseng 02-05-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drbbop (Post 7361526)
Yorgi thanks I will check it out. Only reason why looking is found one for sale , and if easy enough would like to have it

You have to remove the entire dashboard and install a new one. There are a couple of HU ready ones on eBay for about $2k. It can be done but it's not for the faint of heart. :yikes:

reytran 02-06-2013 12:26 AM

I don't think it's worth it for our cars., maybe except for the use of Navigation. When I don't use navigation, I almost forget about the existing of HUD.

drbbop 02-06-2013 08:23 AM

Yea I am good with what I have!

roseng 02-06-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drbbop (Post 7363249)
Yea I am good with what I have!

It's a bummer. If it were reasonable I'd have done it already. I wish someone mad an aftermarket unit. I'd buy it in a second.

tampamark 02-06-2013 09:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by roseng (Post 7361886)
You have to remove the entire dashboard and install a new one. There are a couple of HU ready ones on eBay for about $2k. It can be done but it's not for the faint of heart. :yikes:

Gary isn't wrong, I have replaced a dash before, what a PITA!!! :mad:

Back when I was just dating her, I replaced my Wife's dash in her Mazda MX6. Took 8 hours and when I reassembled only missed one connection, luckily it was an easy one to connect with out backtracking too much.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...1&d=1360167581

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...1&d=1360167589

roseng 02-06-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tampamark (Post 7363388)
Gary isn't wrong, I have replaced a dash before, what a PITA!!! :mad:

Back when I was just dating her, I replaced my Wife's dash in her Mazda MX6. Took 8 hours and when I reassembled only missed one connection, luckily it was an easy one to connect with out backtracking too much.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...1&d=1360167581

OMG!

Mark you are a stud for even attempting it, let alone completing the job! I would have gotten a new girlfriend, or at least a new car. :rofl:

It looks like I'm watching the Velocity channel. What were you fixing/replacing?

Mulchman 02-06-2013 11:35 AM

The windshield used for a HUD is special. It is a made of layers and they are in a wedge type shape. I remember reading about it when I bought my car and thinking that I DID NOT want to crack a windshield. That said, we may all have the same (HUD ready) windshield I'm not sure. But I would check that out as well. RealOEM.com lists two windshields, one is for cars with HUD and A/C.... Good luck! HUD is very cool. I would upgrade to the hand stiched leather dash too, while your in there - WTH?

tampamark 02-06-2013 11:58 AM

Ha, it was a bear, had more time and patience back then. Not to mention I was quoted $1100 by a local indie...just for labor. So my frugalness meter was tipped to self install. Her dash was sun faded and cracked so it was a cosmetic repair, the rest of the car had held up well. I bought the dash from a dismantler for $100 and installed myself.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Bimmer App

gregb 02-06-2013 03:38 PM

Mark - you must have really liked her... :)

roseng 02-06-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregb (Post 7364136)
Mark - you must have really liked her... :)

He did, he married her. But I'd marry him too if he fixed my dash. :whip:

tampamark 02-06-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregb (Post 7364136)
Mark - you must have really liked her... :)

She roped me in!

Quote:

Originally Posted by roseng (Post 7364203)
He did, he married her. But I'd marry him too if he fixed my dash. :whip:

LOL :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms