Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   3 Series GT (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674930)

ctorrey 02-07-2013 09:50 AM

3 Series GT

I'm surprised BMW is moving forward with the 3 series GT. Figured the tepid response to the 5 series GT and the existence of the new 3 series wagon would deter them. Not my cup of tea, but I'm sure there are those who like it.

My biggest concern is the chrome accents/vents just behind the front wheels. I really hope this doesn't become part of BMW's design language. First the 7 series (whatever that chrome thing is), then the 4, now the 3 GT. I can honestly say that it might be a deal-breaker for me if it appears on the F30 sedan. That's how much I hate the thing.

Phil325i 02-07-2013 12:15 PM

Sadly Chuckie BMW have already announced the wing 'vent' will be a trade mark of their design language. It's already been seen on the new 4- (nee 3-) series coupe and I suspect will appear on the F30 when it is facelifted...

408Racer 02-07-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil325i (Post 7366242)
Sadly Chuckie BMW have already announced the wing 'vent' will be a trade mark of their design language. It's already been seen on the new 4- (nee 3-) series coupe and I suspect will appear on the F30 when it is facelifted...

I knew I've seen that 'vent' before. Just realized that the Camry has had it for a while. Yikes. :rolleyes:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mry_XLE_01.jpg

SilverX3 02-07-2013 12:39 PM

3GT : ugly looking shxt box

ctorrey 02-07-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 408Racer (Post 7366286)
I knew I've seen that 'vent' before. Just realized that the Camry has had it for a while. Yikes. :rolleyes:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mry_XLE_01.jpg

Let's not forget the recent Ford Focus with that ridiculous faux vent Same with Infiniti FX.
Maybe BMW will offer a 'gold badge package' too. Cheee-zzzy!

kunal_D 02-07-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverx3 (Post 7366294)
3gt : Ugly looking shxt box

+100

1zamboni 02-07-2013 08:52 PM

What is BMW thinking? I would not get one.

SilverX3 02-07-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1zamboni (Post 7367369)

they are thinking $ $ $ lots of $ $ $

kachung kachung....

they are run and managed by accountants

tturedraider 02-07-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctorrey (Post 7365914)
I'm surprised BMW is moving forward with the 3 series GT. Figured the tepid response to the 5 series GT and the existence of the new 3 series wagon would deter them. Not my cup of tea, but I'm sure there are those who like it.

My biggest concern is the chrome accents/vents just behind the front wheels. I really hope this doesn't become part of BMW's design language. First the 7 series (whatever that chrome thing is), then the 4, now the 3 GT. I can honestly say that it might be a deal-breaker for me if it appears on the F30 sedan. That's how much I hate the thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1zamboni (Post 7367369)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverX3 (Post 7367382)
they are thinking $ $ $ lots of $ $ $

kachung kachung....

they are run and managed by accountants

The 5 GT is quite popular in Europe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil325i (Post 7366242)

Where did you see this?

Bemo 02-08-2013 08:39 AM

I like the 3 GT and I like that there is now a greater choice across the 3 series model line up.
If you dont like it, don't buy it. I bet others will and yes profit is the name of the game. But profit = growth = economies of scale. Enter the 320i at roughly $32K which is not such a bad thing is it? :)

Kilgore Trout 02-08-2013 09:37 AM

I hate the entire idea of the 3GT (and, btw, me saying I hate it is not the same as saying BMW shouldn't build it and others' shouldn't opt for it - I'm talking about my personal preferences). I just don't get the point. It seems like this is a vehicle for people who need a wagon, but just don't like the idea of owning a wagon.

Man up! If your lifestyle demands a wagon (as mine does), just get it. Besides, realistically, BMW wagons are practically hatchbacks as it is because the swoopy styling seriously detracts from the available storage. I'm OK with that, because I love being able to haul my bike and camping equipment while still feeling good about the look of the vehicle, but it is not like we are dealing with a Volvo station wagon here. The Touring already makes compromises.

tturedraider 02-11-2013 09:42 PM

The Gran Touring really and truly is about exactly what its name implies to a great degree. It is intended for grand touring. I tell people all the time that the 5er GT it is the perfect get away car for two couples. The back seat is a supremely comfortable place to be. You know how when couples go out together many times the husbands ride together in the front and the wives ride together in the back? Well, in the 5er GT husbands fit in the back in fine comfort. Imagine two couples getting away for the weekend and each couple riding together, front and back. Of course the 5er GT is rather large. I think the 3er GT will be considerably more entertaining to drive.

I wish the 3er GT would have the split operation rear tailgate/trunk, but from the pictures it appears it will not. However, the power lift spoiler makes me believe BMW intends for the 3er GT to be more sporting than the 5er GT.