Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Whats the best chip I can get for my 335xi coupe '12? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675113)

ra202818 02-08-2013 09:12 AM

Whats the best chip I can get for my 335xi coupe '12?

Recently purchased my 335xi around december, so I am new to the Bimmer family. My friends informed me about certain chips out there which can aid in boasting the hp of the car (not that its not quick enough already). Which one would you guys suggest be the best fit? Obviously one that doesn't void my warranty.

Jamesonsviggen 02-08-2013 09:15 AM

Wrong section.

You only have two choices to keep your warranty. Dinan and BMWs own performance kit.

tim330i 02-08-2013 09:31 AM

I moved your thread over to the E9X forum. Your 2012 3 series coupe is chassis code E92.

Tim

bear-avhistory 02-08-2013 09:37 AM

COBB or the JB4 are the two best choices. Do a search in this forum there are plenty of threads on this question

LarkHouston 02-08-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear-avhistory (Post 7368122)
COBB or the JB4 are the two best choices. Do a search in this forum there are plenty of threads on this question

Bear and I may not agree on everything related to this topic, however, one thing we can agree on is that it is a topic which has been thoroughly discussed. A simple search will give you a nights worth of reading. See Nordic Kat's sticky for searching. Good luck.

Verts4Ever 02-08-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear-avhistory (Post 7368122)
COBB or the JB4 are the two best choices.

But only as a FYI to the OP, Cobb hasn't officially announced compatibility with the MY12 N55 engine, only for MY11. It seems to be hit or miss whether a particular MY12 N55 is supported yet, depending on production date (earlier the better).

See this thread in the E90Post N55 tuning forum for more information.

Cheers.

bear-avhistory 02-08-2013 09:18 PM

Guess that leaves the JB4:)

CALWATERBOY 02-09-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear-avhistory (Post 7369640)

It pretty much does. Terry's ahead of the curve in several ways; crowd pleasing price.

He now offers a Cobb 'crossout' unit, though I really don't see an advantage other than fear of dealer discovery. Of course, that doesn't bother me.

daytrader 02-09-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear-avhistory (Post 7369640)

Or even better Dinan S3. ;)

SuperTerp 02-09-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7370389)
It pretty much does. Terry's ahead of the curve in several ways; crowd pleasing price.

He now offers a Cobb 'crossout' unit, though I really don't see an advantage other than fear of dealer discovery. Of course, that doesn't bother me.

When Terry makes an idiot proof unit I'll buy it :rofl:

Cobb will be here Monday :D

Too the OPs question if you want to be the safest possible do the PPK from BMW (won't do much like 20hp a joke basically), then its Dinan (they do sales periodically so I'd wait and get 10-30% off, and since you probably have an oil cooler I'd get stage 2) when installed at a BMW dealer they almost have to work together and you probably won't get left hanging. I want to pick up more info and learn a bit more (slowly at a prerequisite pace :p ), so I'm doing Cobb as that plugs into the ODBII port and is on par with JB4. If you have any skill under the hood or below the car, JB4 is probably #1. Cobb and JB4 can be flashed so the dealer wont know you've tuned and be able to screw you on warranty.

So in conclusion :)
Most power for idiots:
1. Cobb

Safest warranty:
1. PPK
2. Dinan

Best value for people who know a little or a lot about under the hood work
1. JB4
2. Cobb

bear-avhistory 02-09-2013 11:16 AM

^^^^ looks good:) I think we are all on the same page.

daytrader 02-09-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperTerp (Post 7370416)
When Terry makes an idiot proof unit I'll buy it :rofl:

Cobb will be here Monday :D

Too the OPs question if you want to be the safest possible do the PPK from BMW (won't do much like 20hp a joke basically), then its Dinan (they do sales periodically so I'd wait and get 10-30% off, and since you probably have an oil cooler I'd get stage 2) when installed at a BMW dealer they almost have to work together and you probably won't get left hanging. I want to pick up more info and learn a bit more (slowly at a prerequisite pace :p ), so I'm doing Cobb as that plugs into the ODBII port and is on par with JB4. If you have any skill under the hood or below the car, JB4 is probably #1. Cobb and JB4 can be flashed so the dealer wont know you've tuned and be able to screw you on warranty.

So in conclusion :)
Most power for idiots:
1. Cobb

Safest warranty:
1. PPK
2. Dinan

Best value for people who know a little or a lot about under the hood work
1. JB4
2. Cobb

Good overview. Let us know your thoughts on the Cobb after you get it installed and had a run or two.

SuperTerp 02-09-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daytrader (Post 7370607)
Good overview. Let us know your thoughts on the Cobb after you get it installed and had a run or two.

Will do. Since you're in VA. I'd offer you my unit if you wanted to run it, but when I emailed cobb they said the unit can only be married to one car at a time.

daytrader 02-09-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperTerp (Post 7370643)
Will do. Since you're in VA. I'd offer you my unit if you wanted to run it, but when I emailed cobb they said the unit can only be married to one car at a time.

Hey SuperTerp, that is an extremely nice offer and very much appreciated, too bad Cobb locks them down once in use. Maybe once spring is here we can get together and compare mods anyway?

:thumbup:

SuperTerp 02-09-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daytrader (Post 7370989)
Hey SuperTerp, that is an extremely nice offer and very much appreciated, too bad Cobb locks them down once in use. Maybe once spring is here we can get together and compare mods anyway?

:thumbup:

lol you know mine... COBB :rofl: I want to make sure I'm not going to jump ship to an m3/m5 before I start throwing suspension parts and oil coolers on this bad boy.