Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Order a 2013 5.0 or wait for 2014 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675152)

Fm750i 02-08-2013 10:56 AM

Order a 2013 5.0 or wait for 2014

I'm really struggling, should I order a new 2013 E70 5.0 and take the 5% discount or wait for the 2014. Some how the pics of the next gen are not doing it for me. Would love to build an Alpine White, add the Aero Kit then slap some nice 22 inch wheels on it. Looked a lot like the original 4.8is which is about the best looking X5 there is. Tough decision. Worried the next one is going to be a watered down barge.

NCAMG 02-08-2013 01:01 PM

My guess is that by the spring time you would be looking at a 8-10% discount from MSRP with incentives, a lower sticker than the new model, plus lower financing rates. The other thing you might like to do is look at an X3 and 5 series to get an indication of where BMW is going. I will bet that the new X5 does not have a space for a spare (like the X3). This may or may not be important to you but a number of folks on this forum have switched away from run flats and have purchased the spare. Finally, BMW doesn't have a good track record on new models. Just a couple of thoughts. BTW I did buy and X5 in December and concerns about the new X5 were part of the reason.

jonnyz1245 02-08-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCAMG (Post 7368736)
My guess is that by the spring time you would be looking at a 8-10% discount from MSRP with incentives, a lower sticker than the new model, plus lower financing rates. The other thing you might like to do is look at an X3 and 5 series to get an indication of where BMW is going. I will bet that the new X5 does not have a space for a spare (like the X3). This may or may not be important to you but a number of folks on this forum have switched away from run flats and have purchased the spare. Finally, BMW doesn't have a good track record on new models. Just a couple of thoughts. BTW I did buy and X5 in December and concerns about the new X5 were part of the reason.

I would think right now you should be able to negotiate 8-10% regardless of whether or not its spring. Dealer stock is usually pretty low on X5's. Just order one up and use invoice +500-1000 as your guide.

I wouldn't buy a first year run of any model from BMW or any other manufacture for that matter. Too many potential bugs

Fm750i 02-08-2013 04:06 PM

Thanks, appreciate the input. I'm going to see if I can reach an agreement with dealer. I only wish I could order the performance upgrade without the more expensive M Package. I'm not a big fan of the monochrome look.

Penguin 02-08-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fm750i (Post 7368451)
I'm really struggling, should I order a new 2013 E70 5.0 and take the 5% discount or wait for the 2014. Some how the pics of the next gen are not doing it for me. Would love to build an Alpine White, add the Aero Kit then slap some nice 22 inch wheels on it. Looked a lot like the original 4.8is which is about the best looking X5 there is. Tough decision. Worried the next one is going to be a watered down barge.

The next one is likely to be a bit larger, to better complement a product line consisting of X1, X3, and X5. The 2014 might actually have a usable third seat.

Do you want a bit more cargo room and/or a usable third seat? If so, I'd wait.

alexmish 02-08-2013 07:07 PM

i am not waiting... about to sign 3-yr lease for 2013 X5d. That will put me in pull-ahead program around Dec 2015, which means a few things:

1. Bugs will be worked out
2. Holiday discounts (typically $2500 cash)
3. Diesel will be available
4. Whatever features which didnt make the 1st year production, will hopefully make it in.

The other reason I am not waiting for 2014 is because I dont expect any good deals in the first coming months.

And lastly my current lease expires in July, but I am going to be close to 50K miles by then, which is then warranty issue and not much opportunity to wait an extra month or so when they will start delivering 2014 models to the dealerships... which is expected around August.

ktono 02-08-2013 09:47 PM

Agree with NCAMG and alexmish. I went ahead with a 3yr lease on a 2013 50i in December. I was not thrilled with the new look and at the time I was not sure that it would be any larger. I could really use a better 3rd row, especially in 3 years when the kids a older. I almost leased a GL450 but liked the performance and sportiness of the X5 over the additional interior room of the GL.

I will be in perfect position in 2015 to get an LCI X5 if I'm still in the SAV market.

alexmish 02-09-2013 06:39 AM

One other point : the 2014+ will have electric-assist steering, not hydraulic. For me, it is all a big deal - recently got 2013 335 for my wife, and not thrilled at all. So i am trying to stretch out avoid going into that for as long as possible.

CAX5 02-09-2013 12:03 PM

Why not just wait to see and drive it. If you don't like it, just buy a leftover 2013 at a great price. My lease ends in July, so I am going to order a 2014 as soon as ordering opens up. The new model is supposed to go on a big diet, so if its a few hundred pounds lighter, should be a nicer drive. Plus it will have the new idrive !!

Kzang 02-10-2013 05:39 AM

I think the next X5 will have that same "numb" steering feeling as the new 5 series. One of the reasons why I didn't get the F10 and chose the E70.
All the F series seem to have that driving characteristics. At least to me. So I. Am not looking forward to anymore new BMW's for me. I may move to Audi or something else in the next 3 years.

roy528 02-10-2013 09:55 AM

Over the past few weeks there were many thoughtful posts re: BMW significant quality and reliability issues.
However , it seemed that the flow of these pointed to many of these 'issues' being solved after a model
has been out for 2-3 years or so.
It would seem to me that since BMW will be relying on current engines that have now
become fairly reliable, that the risk of buying a 'first year out' model would be lessened.
The electronics on the F15 will also most likely use those that are in the most current models that have already
gone through the update process along with the probable adaptation of the 8 speed trans.- which has also been reliable.
My question is- Where would this assumed 'unreliability' rear it's ugly head? Where will there be the most failures
based on past iterations?
I currently own a '13 528iX and after 13M miles haven't had one issue whatsoever. Zero.
A larger X5 would be just what I am looking for ( I am currently in a '11 Lexus GX460
and loath this vehicle) . The current X5 just doesn't have enough cargo space for my needs and
gas mileage is also pretty bad. It seems the vehicle ( I love my 528) for me- but I do not want to
have to deal with what many posters on this board have to say about first year reliability.
Thanks for any insight.

rick73tii 02-12-2013 05:13 PM

Have been going through same thought process and have decided to not wait for F15:

1) Have same concern as others about first year of new model
2) I don't necessarily want a larger SUV
3) BMW often changes hub size on new models so that my current winter rims and tires may not fit on F15
4) Last, but not least, not having at least a space saver spare is a deal breaker for me and there is no assurance that the F15 will have one.

So placing an order for 2013 35d configured identically to my 2010 except for color Platinum Gray( don't like new bronze color, too brown), and going to upgrade to Enhance Personal Sound, option 752.

NoI4plz 02-12-2013 08:04 PM

If your working with a 5% discount, I would just forget about the 2013 and go for the 2014.

Will you have quality issues, I hope not, however prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Yes the motors may be coming off the current engine offerings list from BMW, and the platform maybe a stretched version of the 5, but at the end of the day:

1) ITS NOT EXACTLY THE SAME VEHICLE AS ANY CURRENT BMW, SO YOU CANT EXPECT AMAZING RELIABILITY FROM THE GET GO!
2) Did you walk perfectly the very first day you were born, same applies here.
3) This aint a toyota moco vehicle, where the tech is tested through various brands, many vehicles, and years. So expect quirks.

If your going to lease, forget about everything, you are only gonna have it before the warranty expires.
If your going to buy, and keep longterm then i`d be concerned (check out the launch vehicle owners of the E70 and their unique problems)

If you