Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   In your face F30 drivers! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675234)

BashedBarrique 02-08-2013 05:55 PM

In your face F30 drivers!
 
I was reading a November 2012 Car and Driver "comparo" between a 2013 BMW 328i and a 2013 Cadillac ATS. The 328i barely won and in the article I found this remark.

"We're convinced that the E90 would handily win a comparison test against an F30."

Ouch! That's gotta hurt.

BashedBarrique 02-08-2013 06:00 PM

Oh, and I know that the whole 325, 328, 330, 335 thing isn't engine size based anymore but how do these new four bangers get away with numbers way bigger than their engine displacements?

And am I the only one that did a spit take when he heard that the new 3 series base engine was gonna be an inline four cylinder? I LOVE the 3.0 liter six in my 325i and can't imagine hearing a four banger churning away up behind the roundel.

lqaddict 02-08-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BashedBarrique (Post 7369404)
Oh, and I know that the whole 325, 328, 330, 335 thing isn't engine size based anymore but how do these new four bangers get away with numbers way bigger than their engine displacements?

And am I the only one that did a spit take when he heard that the new 3 series base engine was gonna be an inline four cylinder? I LOVE the 3.0 liter six in my 325i and can't imagine hearing a four banger churning away up behind the roundel.

I have a z4 (while my e90 gets put back together) with the 4-banger in it, if I didn't tell you I bet you wouldn't know if you stood next to it let alone in the cabin.

MMME30W 02-08-2013 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Uh, ok. Welcome to 2012.

BashedBarrique 02-08-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lqaddict (Post 7369428)
I have a z4 (while my e90 gets put back together) with the 4-banger in it, if I didn't tell you I bet you wouldn't know if you stood next to it let alone in the cabin.


Well, I went to C&D's website and found this.

"Thanks to balance shafts and a dual-mass flywheel, this engine never gets the shakes or stammers, and itís as genteel as a six when soft-pedaled. A two-mode muffler corks the din during cruising and then releases a rousing howl to accompany the stampede."

So it looks like the BMW engineers have tamed the 4 cylinder's inherent imbalance. Meh, give me a sweet in line six any day in a sports sedan. Don't get me wrong I own a Toyota MR2 with a fiery little 1.6 4A-GE engine and a 1990 Miata with a 1.6 B6ZE four banger, they are both great little engines that love to rev to their limiters but c'mon!

The BMW inline six is legendary for its power and smoothness. At least I got one before the CAFE killed them.

BashedBarrique 02-08-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMME30W (Post 7369436)
Uh, ok. Welcome to 2012.

Yeah, I'm a newbie. I just got my first BMW three weeks ago. I knew about the F30 having a 4 cylinder but didn't give it much thought until I became a BMW owner.

It looks like I'm getting here just as the party is ending!

MMME30W 02-08-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BashedBarrique (Post 7369481)
Yeah, I'm a newbie. I just got my first BMW three weeks ago. I knew about the F30 having a 4 cylinder but didn't give it much thought until I became a BMW owner.

It looks like I'm getting here just as the party is ending!

Welcome to the fest.

Suggestion: Lurk more, post less.

Lot of extremely helpful people here. However, if you develop a reputation for poking people in the eye (like this thread) with no post history (which you do not have) on a subject that has been done to death (like this one), the regulars are going to be less than impressed.

Trust me on this, it is not the direction you want to head.

Either way, welcome.

BashedBarrique 02-08-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMME30W (Post 7369495)
Welcome to the fest.

Suggestion: Lurk more, post less.

Suggestion: Make less suggestions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMME30W (Post 7369495)
Lot of extremely helpful people here. However, if you develop a reputation for poking people in the eye (like this thread) with no post history (which you do not have) on a subject that has been done to death (like this one), the regulars are going to be less than impressed.

Oh my, wouldn't want the "regulars" to be unimpressed. I searched this topic and found nothing in particular. Besides the poke in the eye was from Car and Driver not me. The article is all of four months old so it's not like I drudged up an issue of Sports Car Illustrated from 1969.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMME30W (Post 7369495)
Trust me on this, it is not the direction you want to head.

Do you have an on topic comment or not? If not it's called trolling.



Quote:

Originally Posted by MMME30W (Post 7369495)
Either way, welcome.

You aren't very good at welcomes are you?

MMME30W 02-08-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BashedBarrique (Post 7369512)
Suggestion: Make less suggestions.



Oh my, wouldn't want the "regulars" to be unimpressed. I searched this topic and found nothing in particular. Besides the poke in the eye was from Car and Driver not me. The article is all of four months old so it's not like I drudged up an issue of Sports Car Illustrated from 1969.



Do you have an on topic comment or not? If not it's called trolling.





You aren't very good at welcomes are you?

I'm sure you will make lots of friends here.

Good luck.

BashedBarrique 02-08-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmme30w (Post 7369514)
i'm sure you will make lots of friends here.

Good luck.


thanks!

BashedBarrique 02-08-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMME30W (Post 7369514)
I'm sure you will make lots of friends here.

Good luck.

Look, it's called sarcasm. It's a form of humor. Something you may have heard of.

If I was really trying to piss off F30 drivers I would have posted it in the F30 forum. I was re-reading my last few C&D's when I stumbled on that quote. I thought it would be of interest to E90 drivers, a group to which I now belong. Although you seem to think that there is some time requirement that I fail to meet.

Thanks for welcoming the "new kid", even if it was delivered with a wedgie.

Last Sight 02-08-2013 07:21 PM

Interesting, I don't remember reading the article, what issue? It's interesting how the whole industry is gravitating towards turbos in the name of fuel economy. I know Ford is currently developing some 3cyl, 1.0L engine. I do agree, however, that there is something to be said for pure grunt from a pair of extra cylinders (or, in Volvo's case, 1).

BashedBarrique 02-08-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lqaddict (Post 7369428)
I have a z4 (while my e90 gets put back together) with the 4-banger in it, if I didn't tell you I bet you wouldn't know if you stood next to it let alone in the cabin.

Just so you don't get the wrong idea. I think Z4's are great cars with either the 4 or the 6 cylinder engine. I just think a 3300lb luxury/sports sedan with a 4 cylinder is a stretch.

Before I bought my 325i I drove several Acura TSX's with the 2.4 liter four and they were buzzy and lacked torque and overall smoothness. And that's a Honda V-tech engine that is one of the best fours around.

I know that the F30 is a different beast (turbo, balance shafts etc.) but it's still a four cylinder and that's a label that no other sports/luxury car has pulled off in the past.

BashedBarrique 02-08-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmcgrew1788 (Post 7369553)
Interesting, I don't remember reading the article, what issue? It's interesting how the whole industry is gravitating towards turbos in the name of fuel economy. I know Ford is currently developing some 3cyl, 1.0L engine. I do agree, however, that there is something to be said for pure grunt from a pair of extra cylinders (or, in Volvo's case, 1).

Hi tmcgrew,

It's the Novemebr 2012 C&D comparo of the 2013 328i and the Cadillac ATS. To be fair the article praised the turbo four, it just found the car to be less satisfying as a sports sedan than the Caddy or the E90.

I was just trying to stir up some fun. I'm sure the F30 is a great car. I just really like the 3.0 liter six in my 325i and other BMW's I've driven in the past.

I guess I should remember that the legendary 2002 was a four cylinder.

Last Sight 02-08-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BashedBarrique (Post 7369538)
Look, it's called sarcasm. It's a form of humor. Something you may have heard of.

If I was really trying to piss off F30 drivers I would have posted it in the F30 forum. I was re-reading my last few C&D's when I stumbled on that quote. I thought it would be of interest to E90 drivers, a group to which I now belong. Although you seem to think that there is some time requirement that I fail to meet.

Thanks for welcoming the "new kid", even if it was delivered with a wedgie.

I think the problem comes from a bunch of people with barely any posts, such as you and myself, who come in causing a ruckus (or perceived ruckus), then don't become part of the community and fade away. I've been on two enthusiast forums prior to this when I had my Saab and Ford Fusion...it's hard to differentiate between future enthusiast and "fader" which is what elicits members who have been here and have "post cred" to get annoyed or take comments the wrong way.

Side note: There is a great need for a sarcasm font

Last Sight 02-08-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BashedBarrique (Post 7369565)
Hi tmcgrew,

It's the Novemebr 2012 C&D comparo of the 2013 328i and the Cadillac ATS. To be fair the article praised the turbo four, it just found the car to be less satisfying as a sports sedan than the Caddy or the E90.

I was just trying to stir up some fun. I'm sure the F30 is a great car. I just really like the 3.0 liter six in my 325i and other BMW's I've driven in the past.

I guess I should remember that the legendary 2002 was a four cylinder.


Thanks! I'll have to go back and look for it (just moved recently)

S85FTW 02-08-2013 07:58 PM

I don't know what f30 to e90 comparison they are talking about. My wife's e90 328xi is leaps and bounds faster and better than her e90 328xi ever was. The f30 is a ton faster, has better gas mileage and has more low end torque. So yeah I guess the e90 wins.....hahahahaha

Chop362 02-08-2013 08:09 PM

I test drove one...Me no like. Did the article happen to mention that the F30 looks wise doesn't measure up either??Better get a hood delete asap!!E90 lives on!!!

bear-avhistory 02-08-2013 08:15 PM

Had an new 328 as a loner when my car was in for service this week. It was a 4 door but was quick, competent & got good mileage. Seat of the pants it seemed quicker then my 330Ci.

BashedBarrique 02-08-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S85FTW (Post 7369614)
I don't know what f30 to e90 comparison they are talking about. My wife's e90 328xi is leaps and bounds faster and better than her e90 328xi ever was. The f30 is a ton faster, has better gas mileage and has more low end torque. So yeah I guess the e90 wins.....hahahahaha

I just found the quote and thought I'd throw it out there to "stir the pot". I have never driven an F30. I'm sure they are sensational cars. After all C&D did pick it as a Ten Best and it did win the comparo with the Caddy.

The F30 4 cyl turbo is faster and gets better MPG than the E90 six, but BMWs often win comparos against cars that are faster and get better mileage.

A car is more than numbers.

mr_bean 02-09-2013 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BashedBarrique (Post 7369635)
I just found the quote and thought I'd throw it out there to "stir the pot". I have never driven an F30. I'm sure they are sensational cars. After all C&D did pick it as a Ten Best and it did win the comparo with the Caddy.

The F30 4 cyl turbo is faster and gets better MPG than the E90 six, but BMWs often win comparos against cars that are faster and get better mileage.

A car is more than numbers.

Agreed. I had an F30 loaner a couple of months ago. The engine was great in all respects. But (and this a big but) it still sounded like a 4 cylinder. Not a low rumble you might get from an old MG or Triumph, but a raspy whine you get from a Japanese compact. It was kind of strange. The sound didn't reflect what I felt in the seat of my pants.
I'll take the straight 6, please.

boramkiv 02-09-2013 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BashedBarrique (Post 7369555)
Before I bought my 325i I drove several Acura TSX's with the 2.4 liter four and they were buzzy and lacked torque and overall smoothness. And that's a Honda V-tech engine that is one of the best fours around.

What's a V-tech engine?:dunno:

BashedBarrique 02-09-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boramkiv (Post 7369983)
What's a V-tech engine?:dunno:

"VTEC ( Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control)) is a valvetrain system developed by Honda to improve the volumetric efficiency of a four-stroke internal combustion engine. The VTEC system uses two camshaft profiles and hydraulically selects between profiles. It was invented by Honda engineer Ikuo Kajitani,[1][2] and was the first system of its kind.[citation needed] Different types of variable valve timing and lift control systems have also been produced by other manufacturers (MIVEC from Mitsubishi, AVCS from Subaru, VVT-i/VVTL-i from Toyota, VANOS from BMW, VarioCam Plus from Porsche, NeoVVL from Nissan, etc.)."

Notice that Honda introduced it before BMW.

boramkiv 02-09-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BashedBarrique (Post 7370393)
"VTEC ( Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control)) is a valvetrain system developed by Honda to improve the volumetric efficiency of a four-stroke internal combustion engine. The VTEC system uses two camshaft profiles and hydraulically selects between profiles. It was invented by Honda engineer Ikuo Kajitani,[1][2] and was the first system of its kind.[citation needed] Different types of variable valve timing and lift control systems have also been produced by other manufacturers (MIVEC from Mitsubishi, AVCS from Subaru, VVT-i/VVTL-i from Toyota, VANOS from BMW, VarioCam Plus from Porsche, NeoVVL from Nissan, etc.)."

Notice that Honda dintroduced it before BMW.

Yes, that's V-TEC.
You said V-TECH which is company that makes electronic toys not engines.

BashedBarrique 02-09-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boramkiv (Post 7370399)
Yes, that's V-TEC.
You said V-TECH which is company that makes electronic toys not engines.

OK Mr./Ms. Nitpicker. My mistake. And shouldn't there be an "a" in between "is" and "company" in your post?;)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms