Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   HID headlight turned pink! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675570)

KyleGT 02-10-2013 03:39 PM

HID headlight turned pink!

2 Attachment(s)
So my right side HID bulb is pink instead of white. I assume this means I need a new bulb? Should I replace both at the same time?

I was looking up prices for an OEM replacement and it looks like they're around $219 a piece. I don't really want to spend $440 on a pair of bulbs.
I found this on Amazon. Will these work fine? $112 sounds alot better to me than $440.

ard 02-10-2013 05:10 PM

I'd be asking, "How do I get the other side to turn pink?"

Emission 02-10-2013 10:01 PM

It is a $40,000 vehicle, so I wouldn't go cheap (what if you burn out the whole circuit board?).

Personally, I would buy just one OEM bulb and see how things look.

- Mike

ard 02-10-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleGT (Post 7372751)

I was looking up prices for an OEM replacement

You mean OE replacement, right? Like "BMW Branded"...

OEM in this case would be Osram or whoever makes the OE part for BMW, or the OEM part.

Check out getbmwparts.com...some of the lowest prices for BMW parts (they are actually a dealer). Agree with above that you can probably do just one.

A

smyles 02-11-2013 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleGT (Post 7372751)
So my right side HID bulb is pink instead of white. I assume this means I need a new bulb? Should I replace both at the same time?

My advice would be to first swap bulbs b/w good and "pink" to make sure it's the bulb, not smthg else.

And the ~$56 amazon bulbs will do just fine.

E46_Ci 02-11-2013 11:17 AM

Yep, the Amazon ones will be just fine... and glad to hear that you know to replace them in pairs. Color will be right on both sides and you won't have to go thru this again for a while.

Surprised that one turned pink so soon... usually happens around 8-10 years of use. All you see now is, the first Acura TL's with HID's, all have pink headlights.

quackbury 02-12-2013 03:53 PM

Sounds like you got another one of those LGBT special editions. You and Kanar should get together. :o

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

KyleGT 03-01-2013 05:25 AM

Well 2 days after I initially posted this, the right headlight went out completely. I had my bulbs from amazon here the following day. I replaced both the L & R bulbs. The sylvania D1S bulbs seem to be exactly the same as the Philips bulbs that were in the car to begin with.
Changing the bulbs turned out to be a big pain in the ass. Not as much as some cars I've had to deal with however.(1st gen Acura TL for example - have to completely remove the bumper assembly to remove the headlamp assembly on one side)

So basically what I'm saying is if anyone's bulbs go out, these ones from amazon will work just fine. No need to spend well over $200 a piece at the dealer.