Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Future Value/Collectibility of E9X M3? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676211)

rmorin49 02-13-2013 07:11 PM

Future Value/Collectibility of E9X M3?

What are your thoughts? Do you think the E9X M3 will become a desirable collectible car? Currently you can buy a 2-3 year old CPO for around $50 - $55K. This is typical depreciation. With the V8 I am thinking this model could become a collectible but it might take many years. I am thinking Pontiac GTO/MOPAR Hemi cars, etc. Am I crazy?

alee 02-13-2013 09:08 PM

At the heart of it, it presumes BMW will never make another V8 M3. This is the case for the next 10 years, but for all we know there may be some breakthrough that brings a fuel efficient V8 with some sort of alternative fuel technology that makes it appealing to do another normally aspirated V8 M3. In my opinion, the next 10 years it will be a very attractive used car that knowledgable enthusiasts will pay a premium for.

Will it be a collectable or long tem classic?

It presumes that the technology will be accessible enough that people can continue to want to maintain it 20+ years from now to support the availability of technical pieces well beyond typical consumer interest for aftermarket parts. It's not a classic muscle car that you can fix with a decent set of tools... it's a computer on wheels and it's long term reliability and sustainability has not been proven out over 20, 30, 40 or 50 years.

And it also presumes that you keep very low miles on it. I'd guess V8 M3 with 200K miles on it is probably going to be worth less than a new Honda Accord.

I can see people beating each other up 40 years from now to get an all-original V8 M3 with less than 10k miles on the clock, where BMW has not made a V8 M3 ever again. But the same could be said of any 40 year old iconic high performance car with ultra-low miles.

Jon Shafer 02-14-2013 12:25 AM

My E36 M3 has 120k miles on the clock. Now that the market value has bottomed out I may just park it for the next 10 years (except for shows). In the late 90's, an E30 M3 had a market value of 10k as does my E36 now. Nowadays, an E30 is $25k all day long. I believe all M3s will follow the same pattern in time.

edge9 02-14-2013 09:44 AM

Mine is new. I want it to last that way forever, but alas, it begs and needs to be driven often and driven hard.:)

TexasSpartan 02-14-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edge9 (Post 7380948)
Mine is new. I want it to last that way forever, but alas, it begs and needs to be driven often and driven hard.:)

Agreed. I've never bought a car to sit in the garage. I swear I can hear it at night begging to be let out and driven. Or that could be the alcohol. Either way ....