Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 M3 (1995-1999) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   1995 e36 M3 buying help (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676250)

khaki_jean 02-14-2013 01:11 AM

1995 e36 M3 buying help

Hi guys, I have a neighbor who is selling his '95 M3 coupe in red with 125k miles on it for $7, 000.
He is the original owner of this M3 and it is in good shape for its' age other than some imperfections like missing some screws, small tear on the driver side lumbar support, some clearcoat starting to peel off on the side skirts, etc.
He put some chrome bmw wheels on it, which I really dont care for but he will include the original wheels as well in the deal. Still has the original tape deck in it.:eek:
He also installed dinan chip, dinan intake and new catalytic converter.
He has one body imperfection on the passenger side quarter panel, a scratch just deep enough to feel that it is indented, extended to about 4 inches into the door.
I drove it and it felt strong.
Is $7k a good deal for such vehicle? Its about $2k more than the bluebook value but I noticed these go for higher than the book value here locally.
I wanna hear your opinion. I currently have 2 BMWs in my garage (525i and a X5) and I just miss a manual car to have some fun and to commute with.
Im also considering a Nissan 350z with 75k miles for $11.5, which is in great condition.
Which is a better value for the money?
Love to take on the M3 since I only owned BMW for last 20 years but the age scares me a bit and also not too sure about the $7k price tag just because it is way more than the kbb value...
Please help!
Thank you!:)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

petriej 02-15-2013 04:10 PM

Obviously the M3. Offer him $6k without the chrome rims. He can eBay or CL those, and you'll both be happier.

khaki_jean 02-15-2013 10:41 PM

Thank you for the input. I dont think he will move any lower than 7k.
At this point I just want to ask you if it is a decent deal at 7k for a 1995
M3 with 125k miles on it.

khaki_jean 02-15-2013 10:58 PM

Thank you for the input. I dont think he will move any lower than 7k.
At this point I just want to ask you if it is a decent deal at 7k for a 1995
M3 with 125k miles on it.

petriej 02-16-2013 02:34 PM

No, not really. Hence my suggestion for compromise.

CMRTN 03-11-2013 04:10 PM

Well you also have to figure out more..

Has he had the car maintained on schedule? if so, by who?

You see him often since he is your neighbor. Judge him, as what you see is probably how that car was cared for.

So if he's a well-organized, cleanly person you would probably be good. If you walk into his garage/ house and its trashed he probably doesn't keep his car kept up.

Ultimately only you can be the judge!

7k is TOO high. especially with the stated flaws. You can find a very nice 98 in that condition for that price. Check portland CL, I see plenty of them for cheap as I spend my summer out there

khaki_jean 03-11-2013 07:59 PM

Thank u for the input. As he was firm on his price I passed on it. I would have purchased if he was willing to sell at 6k for sure.