Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Top View (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676467)

pharding 02-15-2013 08:50 AM

Top View
 
Is this option useful?

noka 02-15-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pharding (Post 7382826)
Is this option useful?

I think so. It helps me get close to the curb parking on the street and completely parallel to lines and centered in a parking space :).
What it cannot help with (due to camera placement) is to see in front of the vehicle well.

Lance Alot 02-15-2013 09:26 AM

Yes. I initially didn't use it on my X5, but now I like it in certain parking situations as noted above. It does take some getting used to though.

slambmw 02-15-2013 12:27 PM

Favourite & Best Option...really helps parking. I never use the rear camera. You need to pre-order with the vehicle or cost you BIG$$$ to add on with the Dealer.

Runon MD1 02-15-2013 04:43 PM

Top View Camera
 
Oh, yes! Like Nike, just do it! It really helps, not only with parking, but it really does let you see all around the vehicle.

Richard

Hardrada 02-15-2013 06:54 PM

I use it every day. Really helpful for getting a good parking position in a lot.

lbjgh 02-15-2013 06:55 PM

It's an inexpensive option at purchase... not so much after purchase. I wish I had rear a camera.

ASG 02-16-2013 08:16 PM

Definitely helps with parking and safety with unexpected short family visiting the car (eg dogs).

Chitown-Irish 02-18-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runon md1 (Post 7383801)
oh, yes! Like nike, just do it! It really helps, not only with parking, but it really does let you see all around the vehicle.

richard

+1

colson79 02-18-2013 12:08 PM

It is one of my favorite options, I use it every day. Really useful for parking and avoiding grinding my rims on the curb.

The X Men 03-15-2013 05:00 PM

My wife is going to pick up her X3 next week with top view. Just wondering, what is the easiest way to toggle between top view and rear view, is there a button you can push without going into the i-drive?
Thank You

noka 03-15-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The X Men (Post 7446636)
My wife is going to pick up her X3 next week with top view. Just wondering, what is the easiest way to toggle between top view and rear view, is there a button you can push without going into the i-drive?
Thank You

Press PDC button on console, and again to toggle between top and rear views.
Update: Sorry, this was wrong! Press iDrive controller as another guy posted.

02420X3 03-15-2013 07:49 PM

I tap the iDrive to switch between the two views.

Liverman 03-16-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pharding (Post 7382826)
Is this option useful?

We have PDC sensors on the rear on our big F350 truck. My wife loves 'em. Uses 'em to dock with the horse trailer. Definitely an option she wanted on the new X3. When we went in for our test drive to figure out options and colors and such (we already knew we were getting a replacement X3), she saw the camera views and said (just like she said about the pano roof in '05), "I want that!". I started to ask whether she was talking about rear view or top view and she didn't even let me finish, "Both of them!", she said.

Done. Happy wife, happy life. The rear camera is bundled with Park Distance Control for $950 MSRP in 2014. Getting side cameras adds $350. Not a huge change (0.875%) on a vehicle that costs $40K.

Now what I am worried about is that she (or me) will be looking at the camera display and not out the window and run into something the camera can't see. :eek: Our new X3 is going to require some serious training time to understand and properly use all the darn gadgets...

noka 03-16-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liverman (Post 7447716)
We have PDC sensors on the rear on our big F350 truck. My wife loves 'em. Uses 'em to dock with the horse trailer. Definitely an option she wanted on the new X3. When we went in for our test drive to figure out options and colors and such (we already knew we were getting a replacement X3), she saw the camera views and said (just like she said about the pano roof in '05), "I want that!". I started to ask whether she was talking about rear view or top view and she didn't even let me finish, "Both of them!", she said.

Done. Happy wife, happy life. The rear camera is bundled with Park Distance Control for $950 MSRP in 2014. Getting side cameras adds $350. Not a huge change (0.875%) on a vehicle that costs $40K.

Now what I am worried about is that she (or me) will be looking at the camera display and not out the window and run into something the camera can't see. :eek: Our new X3 is going to require some serious training time to understand and properly use all the darn gadgets...

The camera is only one tool and eyes out the window is another :). I use both and go slow when using PDC and/or camera views. I find the top view great for parallel parking and for centering myself perfectly in a parking spot.

The X Men 03-16-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noka (Post 7446723)
Press PDC button on console, and again to toggle between top and rear views.

Thanks Noka, does that shut off the PDC if you are in reverse?

02420X3 03-17-2013 04:52 AM

Press the iDrive button to switch between the two views.

The X Men 03-17-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02420X3 (Post 7449196)
Press the iDrive button to switch between the two views.

Do you have to go to the side menu and then press the i-drive button?

02420X3 03-17-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The X Men (Post 7449513)
Do you have to go to the side menu and then press the i-drive button?

No, just push down when a camera view is on-screen. Repeat pushes flip back and forth between the Top and Rear views.

noka 03-17-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The X Men (Post 7448273)
Thanks Noka, does that shut off the PDC if you are in reverse?

I corrected my post. I was wrong. Press iDrive controller as another guy suggested.

The X Men 03-17-2013 12:03 PM

Thanks guys, that sounds easier than pushing that little PDC button.

noka 03-17-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The X Men (Post 7449821)
Thanks guys, that sounds easier than pushing that little PDC button.

Yeah, pushing the PDC kills the camera view as I just confirmed. Don't know why I thought that but was relying on my memory (which obviously did not server me well :)).

j & j 03-22-2013 07:58 PM

Thanks for the nice shortcut, 02420X3. I love Top View for parking in my garage, getting my X3 in the middle of the white lines in a parking spot, and for the occasional parallel parking situation. Worth every penny!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms