Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   New to me 535i xDrive (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676494)

CRUECK 02-15-2013 11:46 AM

New to me 535i xDrive

Hi All,
I recently purchased a 2010 535i xDrive, m sport package with a 6-spd manual transmission. I am really enjoying the care, however a problem has come up and I was hoping to get your opinions. When the engine is under heavy acceleration, especially when the RPM's are above 2500 the care accelerates very rough, almost like its missing with a "jerky" motion.

The car is under factory warranty and I am scheduled to take it in next week, however I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this same problem and what the solution(s) were? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

pjinca 02-15-2013 12:27 PM

Have them check the High Pressure Fuel Pump, Fuel Injectors, Fuel Rail and Turbos (all common issues with the 535).

SoLucky 02-15-2013 01:13 PM

Also could be spark plugs or ignition coils.

CRUECK 02-15-2013 02:01 PM

Thanks for the tips. According to the maintenance records it has had the injectors fixed once already 5k miles ago. Hopefully, whatever it is they can correct the problem this time. By the way care has 30k miles right now.

Phoenix1 02-15-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRUECK (Post 7383478)
Thanks for the tips. According to the maintenance records it has had the injectors fixed once already 5k miles ago. Hopefully, whatever it is they can correct the problem this time. By the way care has 30k miles right now.

Have them check for Carbon buildup also - this is a $500 cleaning and should be covered under warranty.

Let us kinow....

danimal43 02-18-2013 09:47 PM

Another opinion - o2. Sensor?

E92-Lighting 02-21-2013 12:10 PM

congrats and welcome aboard

CRUECK 02-21-2013 12:34 PM

Thanks. Car is going in for service tomorrow, hopefully there is an easy fix.

German Steel 02-22-2013 07:11 AM

I bet you have carbon/ oil deposit accumulation in the intake manifold. This is an N54 engine with direct injection. Let us know please.

CRUECK 02-24-2013 03:04 PM

Update - so I left my car at the closest dealership to me for 2 days and came away a little upset. They had my car for two days, did not fix the problem and in my opinion the troubleshooting that they completed on it should have taken about two hours. They checked for codes (which there were none) they then checked the injectors, spark plugs and ignition coils. All of that was fine. I asked if they checked for carbon buildup on the intake manifold and they said that was their next step, however it will take up to a week to complete. This all after an initial 2 hour estimate to fix my car.... Customer service through the whole process was also lacking. Is this normal for BMW dealership?

Anyway, I'm going to be taking it to a second dealership shortly that is slightly further away in the next few weeks. Any dealership recommendations in the Boston area?

CRUECK 02-24-2013 03:06 PM

Also, forgot to mention, they said that carbon buildup is a "gray" area with BMW and they only sometimes cover it. Does anyone else have experience with this? The car is under factory warranty through October.

CRUECK 03-02-2013 03:48 PM

So the plot has just thickened a bit.....

My car is scheduled to go back in for further diagnostics next week, however today when I shut the car off I received a add oil warning. I've put 500 miles on the car since I purchased it and the day I bought it I verified through iDrive that the oil was at max.

I went around to look at the exhaust tip and it is clear that the car is burning serious oil. If I rub my finger along the inside of the exhaust tip I actually will have wet oil residue on it.

I guess I was hoping you guys had some advice for me on how to proceed. I know turbo engines burn some oil, but this seems excessive to me.

Thanks in advance!

NoQuarter 03-02-2013 09:46 PM

My 2008 535 does not burn oil so do not convince yourself this is normal for turbo engines. I have mine boosted to over 400hp at the wheels an it does not burn oil like that.