Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Intermittent Bulb Failure Warning E92 2008 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676545)

raleedy 02-15-2013 04:15 PM

Intermittent Bulb Failure Warning E92 2008

I'm getting intermittent (and increasingly frequent) bulb failure warnings that, so far, always clear themselves. I've never been able to find a bulb not working. A number of people have found corrosion or other continuity problems in the outer taillights, which they have replaced. I have a couple of questions: (1) is there likely to be a stored code for this warning? (2) have any of those who experienced this tried to fix it by replacing the sockets, as opposed to the taillight housing? The sockets are cheap; the taillights, not so much.

Ilovemycar 02-15-2013 04:57 PM

Socket panel for my E92 was only like $16 each. I replaced the right one, it went away. To remove the panel takes less than 10 seconds you can complete the entire swap in less than 20 seconds. I decided to replace both sides for the heck of it, though I didn't need to at the time.

I have a thread, look it up, it has the CC ID code in the title.

Weirdly, just playing around with the left panel at a much later time to check something else out, I set off a code for this side (with the newer panel in place). So weird. I put the old panel back in, and code disappears. Strange, eh?

Anyway, I did try the electrical contact cleaner, it didn't solve the original issue at the right side.

If your issue for some reason has to do with the inner tailights (which I'm doubting), those are more work to remove, but still not difficult.

raleedy 02-15-2013 08:15 PM

I found that thread easily. It's a great resource. Thank you! I think it's likely what I'm seeing has to do with the outer taillights, but I plan to check for a stored code to see for sure.

Ilovemycar 02-16-2013 10:07 AM

I'm glad it was helpful. Hey, is that really your airplane? :)

Our cars had a known issue with the outer taillights, as you might have read in the thread. The socket panels have build dates on them, and I think it was spring '08 where the design was finalized. However, after my left panel experience, I think it may have just as much to do with something else in the car as the panels themselves, but wth do I know.

If you have the ! warning on the dash, then there is a CC ID code. You can google or maybe even youtube to see how to grab it, it will entail holding down the stalk button for a few secs, there are distinct codes for left and right sides even (if this is what you're looking for that is; I've not used a BT scanner or anything like that yet).

raleedy 02-16-2013 01:53 PM

The airplane is (or was, a few years ago) part of BMW AG's fleet. The idea that I paid for it is just a pitiful joke about all the BMW's I've bought over the years.

Ilovemycar 02-16-2013 02:21 PM

Oh, I see, heehee.