Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   2005 545i slight slip into 2nd gear? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676902)

chinesestunna 02-17-2013 02:25 PM

2005 545i slight slip into 2nd gear?

Hi everyone!

I just bought a 2005 545i with 77K miles and noticed a strange behavior:
When I start accelerating from a light, under light throttle driving in D, the transmission would change from 1st into 2nd at around 1500-1600RPMs and I feel a slight slip before it fully locks up. If I accelerate harder the issue is less pronounced or outright gone. DS mode will stay in 1st longer and higher RPM so doesn't have the issue as much either. I have done the transmission 30 second reset already and it has lessened the issue a bit
I've done a good amount of searching and reading and it seems Bimmer owners say this is normal behavior? This is my first BMW so I'm just not sure. Should I do a transmission fluid change? Not a fan of BMW's "lifetime fluid" concept...

The previous owner had all records and it seems that all "prone to fail" items on this model has been changed out already such as mechatronic sleeve, valley coolant pipe, brake vacuum booster etc. All maintenance done on schedule as well pre-purchase mechanic (the shop a good friend's been using for 10 years) said everything is good and checks out.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

pjinca 02-17-2013 02:41 PM

BMW is kind of on the fence themselves about this one. I have heard of dealers saying it's "perfectly normal" and others getting their transmission replaced. Like you, I definitely do not believe in "lifetime fluid", you can get a fluid change kit from esctuning.com that cocntains the fluid you'll need and the filter/fluid pan (it is a single unit on our cars). I did this on my previous 530 and the transmission felt better afterward. Just redo the 30 sec tranny reset after the fluid change and then drive normally for the next 1000 miles (the length of time the tranny takes to adapt to your "style")

chinesestunna 02-17-2013 02:48 PM

Thanks! It's only been 80 miles since the reset so I guess I should give it more "learning time" but I'm very wary of all BMW's maintenance schedules such as "lifetime" transmission fluid and 15K motor oil changes (seriously?!).
I'll get the shop to quote me on the fluid change since around 77K it's about due per my experience with other cars. I usually do my own but in this case it seems shop may be able to do it cheaper, as is case with motor oil where 8.5 quarts of Mobil 1 0w40 + filter = $85 and the shop can do synthetic BMW 5w30 for $80 (the hell?!)

pjinca 02-17-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesestunna (Post 7387074)
Thanks! It's only been 80 miles since the reset so I guess I should give it more "learning time" but I'm very wary of all BMW's maintenance schedules such as "lifetime" transmission fluid and 15K motor oil changes (seriously?!).
I'll get the shop to quote me on the fluid change since around 77K it's about due per my experience with other cars. I usually do my own but in this case it seems shop may be able to do it cheaper, as is case with motor oil where 8.5 quarts of Mobil 1 0w40 + filter = $85 and the shop can do synthetic BMW 5w30 for $80 (the hell?!)

Yeah, but in this case you might want to go with ECS Tunings kit, the fluid alone from the dealer will run about $250 (~$20/qt), then you need to get the filter. Also, to drain fully takes a loooong time, the tranny drains quick, but it takes hours for the fluid to drain from the torque converter. I would do it myself just to save the shop time for the complete drain since it makes no sense to have a mix of old bad fluid with clean fresh new stuff. Definitely get it done before 100k miles.

chinesestunna 02-17-2013 03:01 PM

Thanks! Definitely not going to Stealer and just to be sure, this is the kit I should get, the level 2 with the pan right? http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E60-545...ion/ES2523911/
I noticed they have 2 level 2 kits, 1 with redline D4 and one with Shell (which costs $353 for the same kit), any difference?

pjinca 02-17-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesestunna (Post 7387109)
Thanks! Definitely not going to Stealer and just to be sure, this is the kit I should get, the level 2 with the pan right? http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E60-545...ion/ES2523911/
I noticed they have 2 level 2 kits, 1 with redline D4 and one with Shell (which costs $353 for the same kit), any difference?

The difference is the Shell is OEM fluid (even though the OEM fluid is made by ZF, the Shell has identical specs).

chinesestunna 02-17-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjinca (Post 7387114)
The difference is the Shell is OEM fluid (even though the OEM fluid is made by ZF, the Shell has identical specs).

So should I get the Redline D4 (which I have good experience with in my Acura TL) or the Shell kit? Just want to make sure I do it right

pjinca 02-17-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesestunna (Post 7387145)
So should I get the Redline D4 (which I have good experience with in my Acura TL) or the Shell kit? Just want to make sure I do it right

That is really personal choice, to be honest, the Redline fluid meets or exceeds all the BMW specs so it would be fine. I'd also order a couple of extra quarts, just in case. I used the Redline on my 530 with the same tranny as yours, I'd probably choose the same kit again.

schpenxel 02-17-2013 04:49 PM

Stick with OEM fluid, in my opinion. thectsc.com has a good price on a kit with the pan & fluid. I would recommend buying a few pan bolts just in case. I almost stripped the head on a few of mine and was glad I had some new ones to put back in in their place--If I had reused them I'm not sure I could have ever gotten them back out if needed.

Also, reset adaptations after you change the fluid, don't just do the 30 second hold the pedal on the floor "trick". It's never done squat for me.

Have it reset with INPA or one of the other BMW programs after changing the fluid. After I changed mine I didn't do a real reset and thought I was going to need a new transmission after about 20 miles (severe jerking in 5th gear..) Resetting it made a huge difference.

Ultimately I had to replace some solenoids in mine to fix some other issues, but now everything is smooth as can be (187K miles :))

chinesestunna 02-17-2013 05:28 PM

Schpenxel, yea I've seen your awesome YouTube vid (and the screw drilling)! Super nice info for everyone

Are you talking about this kit: http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=p...d=186&parent=0 It only comes with 6 liters of fluid as opposed to 7 with the redline kit, will that be enough? From your experience most of the "transmission" problems people are experiencing seems to be due to software or solenoids going bad it seems (from what I've read in all your posts), is that about right?

H F 02-17-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesestunna (Post 7387017)
Hi everyone!

I just bought a 2005 545i with 77K miles and noticed a strange behavior:
When I start accelerating from a light, under light throttle driving in D, the transmission would change from 1st into 2nd at around 1500-1600RPMs and I feel a slight slip before it fully locks up. If I accelerate harder the issue is less pronounced or outright gone. DS mode will stay in 1st longer and higher RPM so doesn't have the issue as much either. I have done the transmission 30 second reset already and it has lessened the issue a bit
I've done a good amount of searching and reading and it seems Bimmer owners say this is normal behavior? This is my first BMW so I'm just not sure. Should I do a transmission fluid change? Not a fan of BMW's "lifetime fluid" concept...

The previous owner had all records and it seems that all "prone to fail" items on this model has been changed out already such as mechatronic sleeve, valley coolant pipe, brake vacuum booster etc. All maintenance done on schedule as well pre-purchase mechanic (the shop a good friend's been using for 10 years) said everything is good and checks out.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I had the exact problem that u described on my 05 545..
I had the tranny updated and the problem was solved ,, it's been close to four years now since I had it done ,,,, the tranny has never surged again,,
Ur getting good advice on a tranny fluid change , I just recently did my third tranny fluid change at 90,000 mi, and she shifts like new ,, I think it's crutial to maintain the tranny fluid clean,, due to the silinoids getting clogged when fluid is not changed frequently.

Hopefully a simple fluid change will do the trick,, but having been thru the same problem an update will defitnately fix the problem,,

chinesestunna 02-17-2013 06:21 PM

Can indy shops do the software upgrade or dealer only? I think I definitely need to do that

pjinca 02-17-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesestunna (Post 7387432)
Can indy shops do the software upgrade or dealer only? I think I definitely need to do that

Unfortunately it has to be the dealer, unless you have an indy shop that has access to BMW software - there are a few of those out there.

chinesestunna 02-17-2013 06:37 PM

It really seems kind of silly that BMW doesn't do software upgrades as standard maintenance and makes you pay for it esp. when it's addressing such "out of the box issues"... The car does drive like a dream but little things like this makes it hard to really love the company and brand

pjinca 02-17-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesestunna (Post 7387472)
It really seems kind of silly that BMW doesn't do software upgrades as standard maintenance and makes you pay for it esp. when it's addressing such "out of the box issues"... The car does drive like a dream but little things like this makes it hard to really love the company and brand

I agree, but I forgive their foibles in spite of that because the car is so much fun, and so comfortable to drive. I love the car enough to realize that every car has it's quirks, no matter who makes it, and I love the drive in this one enough to deal with them.

That said, it is stupid that BMW doesn't do software updates as part of regular maintenance. The fact that it sometimes requires an 8-10 hr coding of the entire vehicle makes it even worse. Then knowing stealers charge ~$250 to do it? Yeah, it can be infuriating.

chinesestunna 02-17-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H F (Post 7387385)
I had the exact problem that u described on my 05 545..
I had the tranny updated and the problem was solved ,, it's been close to four years now since I had it done ,,,, the tranny has never surged again,,
Ur getting good advice on a tranny fluid change , I just recently did my third tranny fluid change at 90,000 mi, and she shifts like new ,, I think it's crutial to maintain the tranny fluid clean,, due to the silinoids getting clogged when fluid is not changed frequently.

Hopefully a simple fluid change will do the trick,, but having been thru the same problem an update will defitnately fix the problem,,

Thanks for the info and it's a huge relief knowing it won't be a several $K problem. Is there a version of the software I should ask for or just "flash latest build please"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjinca (Post 7387573)
I agree, but I forgive their foibles in spite of that because the car is so much fun, and so comfortable to drive. I love the car enough to realize that every car has it's quirks, no matter who makes it, and I love the drive in this one enough to deal with them.

That said, it is stupid that BMW doesn't do software updates as part of regular maintenance. The fact that it sometimes requires an 8-10 hr coding of the entire vehicle makes it even worse. Then knowing stealers charge ~$250 to do it? Yeah, it can be infuriating.

Exactly - imagine if Microsoft/Apple made users pay to get security/function patches for their software. Thanks for all the info/help!

pjinca 02-17-2013 08:00 PM

Ask the dealer to simply check your version of software and apply any updates it may need

H F 02-17-2013 09:27 PM

[QUOTE=chinesestunna;7387620]Thanks for the info and it's a huge relief knowing it won't be a several $K problem. Is there a version of the software I should ask for or just "flash latest build please"?

Like PJ said,,, ask the dealer for the latest and greatest update. im sure theres been acouple more recent updates since i had my tranny done

chinesestunna 02-17-2013 09:32 PM

Thanks all for the help! I'm looking forward to being part of the community and be able to help other members down the rd. I've found some info about doing the software update and BMW coding such as the transmission http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=621988 and might try to do this myself. I have a CS/IT background and have done all other types of firmware flashing so this might be a new frontier :D

pjinca 02-17-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesestunna (Post 7387790)
Thanks all for the help! I'm looking forward to being part of the community and be able to help other members down the rd. I've found some info about doing the software update and BMW coding such as the transmission http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=621988 and might try to do this myself. I have a CS/IT background and have done all other types of firmware flashing so this might be a new frontier :D

I have been working in IT for 16 years, and the NCS Expert software is readily available. However, the software to update the car is usually not, if you figure it out or find it pass it on - I'd live to know.

schpenxel 02-17-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjinca (Post 7387810)
I have been working in IT for 16 years, and the NCS Expert software is readily available. However, the software to update the car is usually not, if you figure it out or find it pass it on - I'd live to know.

WinKFP + Daten files. All easily available, although I have never had the nerve to actually use them. Others have, however.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=621988 for example

H F 02-17-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesestunna (Post 7387790)

welcome to the club,, ill tell ya,, the 545 is a great car and love it.... and hate it..... when it comes to repairs.. the best thing for this model is frequent oil changes..and coolant.. also since u just got it i would also change the break fluid. and the hydraulic fluid too...

check out bmwcoding.com if ur tech savy.. lots of cool styff u can code on these cars if u know how to do it... ive been trying to get informed on that stuff so i can do it myself one day...

pjinca 02-17-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schpenxel (Post 7387815)
WinKFP + Daten files. All easily available, although I have never had the nerve to actually use them. Others have, however.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=621988 for example

Bookmarked, thanks, this is something I will gladly try. Just not clear as to where they get the latest software versions. I guess it'll be something to play with on a VM

schpenxel 02-17-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjinca (Post 7387835)
Bookmarked, thanks, this is something I will gladly try. Just not clear as to where they get the latest software versions. I guess it'll be something to play with on a VM

I've got a link around here somewhere that has them all in it. I've posted it before but it's been a while. If you can't find it let me know and I'll dig it up.

pjinca 02-17-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schpenxel (Post 7387840)
I've got a link around here somewhere that has them all in it. I've posted it before but it's been a while. If you can't find it let me know and I'll dig it up.

Thanks, I will search and let you know if I can't find it. :thumbup:
Being in IT, I am nearly obsessed about getting the latest updates for everything, this will help a lot.