Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   So, I drove an Audi Q5 3.0 yesterday... (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676961)

ChrisT.O.pher 02-17-2013 06:53 PM

So, I drove an Audi Q5 3.0 yesterday...
 
...and I'm impressed. Until now, I was convinced that an X3 35i was my next vehicle. Power, fit and finish, cost, reviews... it all seems to line up just a tiny bit better than the X3.

What am I not seeing here?!

e1322739 02-17-2013 07:35 PM

Notwithstanding any personal preference differences, everything I read about VW and Audi products indicate they are less reliable than BMW. See the latest JD Power survey results as example:
http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dep...ss-release.htm

dandanio 02-17-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisT.O.pher (Post 7387609)
What am I not seeing here?!

Nothing, get a Q5. It is an awesome vehicle and it seems (you said it yourself) you like it better. As for which vehicle to pick, you either get it or not - just like with women - let your heart decide. BMW is not a budget brand, so you do not pick the car/options with your wallet. You either are a BMW TYPE, or you are not, it is not about being better, or worse, of feeling better or worse than others. :)

ErnestHouse 02-18-2013 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e1322739 (Post 7387700)
Notwithstanding any personal preference differences, everything I read about VW and Audi products indicate they are less reliable than BMW. See the latest JD Power survey results as example:
http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dep...ss-release.htm

Yet in the Luxury Crossover segment of that JD Powers report, the Q5 and RDX are in the highest 3. The X3 is not.

pharding 02-18-2013 05:56 AM

We cross shopped the Q5 with the X3. The Q5 is fine. We do not like purchasing Audi Care and the maintence package and its limitations. Audi fit and finish on the Q5 is beautiful. We went with the X3 because we preferred it driving and handling characteristics and its appearance. The Audi Q5 is fine and competition between Audi and BMW is great for the enthusiast.

noka 02-18-2013 06:41 AM

Our friends have the Q5 and I must admit, the front seats are a bit more comfortable than the X3 sport seats, in my opinion. We find the sport seats to be comfortable if the side bolsters are fully deflated (widest setting). The Audi Q5 has just a litle bit more width, the right amount in my view.

The X Men 02-18-2013 07:50 AM

That Audi 3.0 supercharge engine is a gem, its a bit more powerful than the N55 in my opinion. We had a older Audi Q5 and the car had its share of build quality problems such as rattles and panel gaps. Hopeful, the quality have gotten better since then.

Bylawren 02-18-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pharding (Post 7388191)
We cross shopped the Q5 with the X3. The Q5 is fine. We do not like purchasing Audi Care and the maintence package and its limitations. Audi fit and finish on the Q5 is beautiful. We went with the X3 because we preferred it driving and handling characteristics and its appearance. The Audi Q5 is fine and competition between Audi and BMW is great for the enthusiast.

We did the same thing...liked the Q5's engine and while the handling was above average, we simply liked the driving experience of the X3 (with M-Sport package) more. FWIW, my wife also felt that the rear passenger seats/legroom on the X3 were significantly more comfortable than the Q5.

Jafeinst 02-18-2013 09:48 AM

Both great cars. I have wanted a Q5 since it first came to the US but chose the X3 because I hated the SA's at my local dealer. I had a couple A4s and maintenance was an issue so I decided to try something new- no regrets! LOVE the X3! The Audi is a good compromise between driving(X3) and comfort(RX).....I just wanted a driving experience more than something in between.

ErnestHouse 02-18-2013 10:26 AM

I test drove both back to back a week or so ago. In addition to what others have said about the comfort and build of the Q5, I found the rear seats in the Q5 more comfortable. The thigh support was higher and they can be adjusted (both front to back and recline). I drove the hybrid and it was every bit as strong as my current V6 CUV. And, the Hybrid gauges gave good information for those times you want to stretch the MPG. The lift gate however, does not have the nice foot switch of the X3. It doesn't even close with the key FOB unless you install an aftermarket receiver.

EDIT: Forgot... the Audi Navi with it's Google 3D Maps and Voice search of Google (Audi Connect) made for an IMHO a superior Navi to the X3. In the Q5, the Audi Connect feature is a 3G Sim card in the vehicle so you can also make a cloud for your car.

colson79 02-18-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The X Men (Post 7388358)
That Audi 3.0 supercharge engine is a gem, its a bit more powerful than the N55 in my opinion. We had a older Audi Q5 and the car had its share of build quality problems such as rattles and panel gaps. Hopeful, the quality have gotten better since then.

Actually the Audi 3.0T is rated at 272 HP and 295 FT-LB compared to the X3 N55 300 HP and 300 FT-lb. So it is a bit less powerful than the X3. Also 0-60 is listed at 6 sec for the Audi and 5.5 sec for the X3.

I still think the Q5 is a great vehicle and it was my second choice, I just liked the X3 a little bit more.

noka 02-18-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErnestHouse (Post 7388684)
... The lift gate however, does not have the nice foot switch of the X3. ...

Stupid question but where is the foot switch? Couldn't find any reference in Owner's Manual either.

ErnestHouse 02-18-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noka (Post 7388811)
Stupid question but where is the foot switch? Couldn't find any reference in Owner's Manual either.

I thought I saw it in marketing material but I looked at the brochure and it's not there. SOrry. The X3 does close by the key FOB which the Q5 does not.:yikes:

nhman 02-18-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErnestHouse (Post 7388684)
EDIT: Forgot... the Audi Navi with it's Google 3D Maps and Voice search of Google (Audi Connect) made for an IMHO a superior Navi to the X3. In the Q5, the Audi Connect feature is a 3G Sim card in the vehicle so you can also make a cloud for your car.

The Google Maps and hot-spot are nice additions to the MY13 Q5. However, like sat radio, there's a trial period and subscription service. If I recall correctly, the monthly charge is $30 and carried by Sprint. My guess is that not many owners would renew after the 6 months of complementary coverage. Therefore you're back to the standard navigation system.

02420X3 02-18-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErnestHouse (Post 7388942)
I thought I saw it in marketing material but I looked at the brochure and it's not there. SOrry. The X3 does close by the key FOB which the Q5 does not.:yikes:

Not in the US or Canada, unless your X3 has been coded. The key fob will open the rear hatch, but will not close it.

chuck92116 02-18-2013 02:32 PM

Some things to help you decide.

1. Run flats or standard tires?
2. Real spare tire and jack?
3. Real tire pressure and temp readout on dash?
4. Warranty and free maintenance over 4/50?
5. Auto stop/start?
6. Steering electric or hydraulic? Steering feel?

These are repeatedly issues that BMW owners complain about. Some complain because they may have an annoying feature or because they don't.

Look at all the X3 complaints and compare to Audi and see what you can live with.

I think both are comparable, it just comes down to preference.

If the Q5 came with the diesel engine I would choose it without question.

ErnestHouse 02-18-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhman (Post 7389035)
... like sat radio, there's a trial period and subscription service. If I recall correctly, the monthly charge is $30 and carried by Sprint. ...

Of course there's a subscription. There are published alternatives that reduce the monthly fee and some dealers offer a reduced one time fee of $400 or so for a couple years.

ErnestHouse 02-18-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02420X3 (Post 7389124)
Not in the US or Canada, unless your X3 has been coded. The key fob will open the rear hatch, but will not close it.

Well that's a bummer. But at least the X3 can be coded. That won't cut it on the Q5 and the add-on doesn't work ion the current 2013 MY.

The X Men 02-18-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck92116 (Post 7389140)
Some things to help you decide.

2. Real spare tire and jack?
5. Auto stop/start?
6. Steering electric or hydraulic? Steering feel?

The Q5 has a pretty funky spare tire. It is a collapsible spare tire meaning the side wall folds up like a accordion to save space and weight. There is a on board air compressor.
Some Q6 have the start stop systm as well.
Both SUV have electric steering.

ErnestHouse 02-18-2013 07:42 PM

The X3 drag coefficient is .35. The Q5 is .33.

noka 02-19-2013 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErnestHouse (Post 7389809)
The X3 drag coefficient is .35. The Q5 is .33.

Interesting, but it didn't even enter my mind during the purchase decision.

slambmw 02-19-2013 05:45 AM

Q5 is a beautiful vehicle and our second choice. We were close to ordering until we saw this vehicle. Excellent soft ride and interior finish. Hated their confusing dash with so many buttons far worse than IDrive. They have the collapsed spare, the RF is mot so so bad then waiting for the spare tire to inflate. Q5 is at a mid-life refresh unlike the 2 year old X3 and will look dated in a few years.

X3 was our choice because it just drove better. We wanted a safe and agile driving vehicle. Q5 is an excellent vehicle that rides extremely well. Not quite the same. We wanted a vehicle meant for driving. You can't go wrong with either choice. X3 might not be perfect, but it was the right choice for us.

bobm48 02-19-2013 12:15 PM

We also drove both last weekend, we bought the Q5. We have had 3 BMW's, tired of their quirks. Ready for an entire new set of quirks. I know we will miss the BMW performance feel.

The X Men 02-19-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobm48 (Post 7390993)
We have had 3 BMW's, tired of their quirks. Ready for an entire new set of quirks.

LOL, well said.

lotusfla 02-19-2013 05:08 PM

From what I remember the residual value of the X3 was 59% at 36 months/36K miles and the residual value of the Q5 at 36 months/36K miles was 49%. Another factor that steered me to the X3.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms