Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   BMWs at the Toronto Auto Show. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677378)

DSXMachina 02-19-2013 05:54 PM

BMWs at the Toronto Auto Show.
 
Just got back from Toronto where I arranged to attend the Toronto International Auto Show while I took care of other business.

I was going to do a great comparo of 'booth babes' complete with photos but somehow managed to leave my camera at the hotel. I just didn't feel professional asking for poses with my iPhone for equipment. You'll have to take my word for it, the Rolls Royce/Aston Martin babes were hot in an elegant way, and the Fiat babes pegged the cuteness meter. BMW had no babes. They had younger and middle aged guys in suits, looked just like a showroom which I suppose was the look they wanted. Boring....

Which leads me to the point of my post. Orange peel. Or the lack of it. A month ago I was at the local dealership perusing the latest model and as usual I was disappointed by the orange peel in everything from 1'ers to 7's. Awful. A 100K car with wicked orange peel. How depressing. The average Corolla or Fiat 500 has better paint.

While visiting all the booths at the CIAS I paid close attention to the quality of paint. I left BMW for last figuring I would be spending the rest of the day there. I was very surprised to see that NONE of the cars on the floor had orange peel. The paint was as slick and smooth as if it were still wet.

I figured something was up and it wasn't that BMW was using a new paint process. After discussing the disappointment of the CIAS not having the new 4 like the Chicago show did we talked paint. I asked about whether these cars had been wet sanded and buffed. The guy actually admitted that, yes, in fact every car on the floor had been wet sanded and buffed!

I can understand wanting to make your product look good, but I think they are misleading the public into thinking the car they get is going to look as good. It won't. Seeing those cars though does have me thinking of wet sanding and buffing mine.

Zooks527 02-20-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSXMachina (Post 7391573)
I can understand wanting to make your product look good, but I think they are misleading the public into thinking the car they get is going to look as good. It won't. Seeing those cars though does have me thinking of wet sanding and buffing mine.

I dunno, mon. I still remember the foliage run where you and Bemo were pointing out that you could tell my car had been repaired by finding the line between the orange-peeled OEM paint and the fully slick paint from my bodywork guy. ;)

///M-ratedE90 02-20-2013 07:21 AM

You've been known to exfoliate goats, so wet-sanding and buffing should be no problem. You've spent years training and strengthening your wrists...it is about time you did something productive with them. Just make sure you apply even pressure with both the left and right hand. You wouldn't want it to look like someone else was doing it.

chris328 02-20-2013 07:40 AM

maybe one day they'll take all the extra money they have from not spending it on decent paint/process and actually put it back into their product...

CALWATERBOY 02-20-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSXMachina (Post 7391573)
I figured something was up and it wasn't that BMW was using a new paint process. After discussing the disappointment of the CIAS not having the new 4 like the Chicago show did we talked paint. I asked about whether these cars had been wet sanded and buffed. The guy actually admitted that, yes, in fact every car on the floor had been wet sanded and buffed!

I can understand wanting to make your product look good, but I think they are misleading the public into thinking the car they get is going to look as good. It won't. Seeing those cars though does have me thinking of wet sanding and buffing mine.


You are enrolled in Wet Sand and Buff 101

Wet Sand and Buff 101

Nordic_Kat 02-20-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSXMachina (Post 7391573)

I can understand wanting to make your product look good, but I think they are misleading the public into thinking the car they get is going to look as good. It won't. Seeing those cars though does have me thinking of wet sanding and buffing mine.

Sounds like a daunting process. For some reason, I thought the orange peel resided in the paint layer, not the clear coat layer. Learned something!

Thesourcefed 02-20-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat (Post 7392901)
Sounds like a daunting process. For some reason, I thought the orange peel resided in the paint layer, not the clear coat layer. Learned something!

Me too!

///M-ratedE90 02-20-2013 10:51 AM

The orange peel is deliberate to hide minor blemishes by breaking up the reflected light.

chris328 02-20-2013 10:58 AM

by creating one huge blemish?

captainaudio 02-20-2013 11:34 AM

The Orange peel is deliberately put on BMWs and is an important factor in the superior BMW driving dynamics.

If you don't want a car with orange peel buy a Lexus (which as everyone knows is a rebadged Toyota).

CA

Lufthansa 02-20-2013 11:40 AM

...or a Porsche (which is a rebadged VW). Me, I'm saving for an Aston-Martin DBS (which I feel is the most beautiful car in the world).

Bemo 02-20-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zooks527 (Post 7392457)
I dunno, mon. I still remember the foliage run where you and Bemo were pointing out that you could tell my car had been repaired by finding the line between the orange-peeled OEM paint and the fully slick paint from my bodywork guy. ;)

Blasphemy! I did not utter such words. Suppose we can resolve our differences during the 2013 Fall Foliage Run. Ideally after the hot laps with Simon K. :)

This of course assumes The Captain's willingness to host another LRP visit (pretty please). Now if EdCT would stop wasting his time in the Political Science forum and scopes out another fun route, we'd be set! :)

Zooks527 02-20-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bemo (Post 7393108)
Blasphemy! I did not utter such words.

Hmmmm. Perhaps it was LQAddict or Captain Audio. I apologize for any damage I may have done to your reputation.

Sincerely,
The Ford Fella

captainaudio 02-20-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bemo (Post 7393108)
Blasphemy! I did not utter such words. Suppose we can resolve our differences during the 2013 Fall Foliage Run. Ideally after the hot laps with Simon K. :)

This of course assumes The Captain's willingness to host another LRP visit (pretty please). Now if EdCT would stop wasting his time in the Political Science forum and scopes out another fun route, we'd be set! :)

I am planning on hosting 2013 Fall Foliage Run to LRP and the American Mural Project.



CA

DSXMachina 02-20-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainaudio (Post 7393049)
The Orange peel is deliberately put on BMWs and is an important factor in the superior BMW driving dynamics.

If you don't want a car with orange peel buy a Lexus (which as everyone knows is a rebadged Toyota).

CA

Are you suggesting that like the dimples on a golf ball, the orange peel effect actually makes the car go straighter and further?
I've heard that part of the reason sharks and modern submarines travel fast is that they have 'rough' skins. Could it be that BMW paint engineers are leading the curve when it comes to performance enhancing paint?;)

tturedraider 02-20-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSXMachina (Post 7391573)
After discussing the disappointment of the CIAS not having the new 4 like the Chicago show did we talked paint.

The Chicago show didn't have the 4 either. :( It's only been in Detroit so far. Chicago did have an ///M6 and 650i Gran Coupe. And they were both open! :D The 740Li was locked. Weird. As was the 328i Touring M Sport. :mad:

Zooks527 02-20-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSXMachina (Post 7393495)
Are you suggesting that like the dimples on a golf ball, the orange peel effect actually makes the car go straighter and further?
I've heard that part of the reason sharks and modern submarines travel fast is that they have 'rough' skins. Could it be that BMW paint engineers are leading the curve when it comes to performance enhancing paint?;)

Shilling mercilessly for my daughter's science channel on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/BiteScized), I feel obligated to note that she explains this between 1:18 and 1:53 in the video linked below. The thumbnail for the video even uses her sharkskin illustration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vd-O1quDmU

captainaudio 02-20-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSXMachina (Post 7393495)
Are you suggesting that like the dimples on a golf ball, the orange peel effect actually makes the car go straighter and further?
I've heard that part of the reason sharks and modern submarines travel fast is that they have 'rough' skins. Could it be that BMW paint engineers are leading the curve when it comes to performance enhancing paint?;)

Exactly!

You have come up with the correct question to the answer.


https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...ejDdDK2jc23lRw

cwinter 02-20-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zooks527 (Post 7393555)
Shilling mercilessly for my daughter's science channel on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/BiteScized), I feel obligated to note that she explains this between 1:18 and 1:53 in the video linked below. The thumbnail for the video even uses her sharkskin illustration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vd-O1quDmU

That's so nice of your daughter to say all these things to the camera instead of seeking you out to share this incredible wealth of information. :angel:

Thanks for sharing, she really has talent in front of the camera and an obvious hunger for knowledge and how to apply it beyond just acquiring it. That's awesome! :thumbup:

Ilovemycar 02-20-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSXMachina (Post 7391573)
Which leads me to the point of my post. Orange peel. Or the lack of it. A month ago I was at the local dealership perusing the latest model and as usual I was disappointed by the orange peel in everything from 1'ers to 7's. Awful. A 100K car with wicked orange peel. How depressing. The average Corolla or Fiat 500 has better paint.

That is pretty rough...!? I don't think I've seen more clearcoat failures on the road than I have Corollas. My guess is that even if you did wetsand your cleacoat, you still* would have thicker paint than what is on a Corolla. Honda doesn't have a great rep either, and the last car I measured paint on was a Honda CRV, only a few years old, and the great majority of my readings were under 100 um. However Mazda is probably the thinnest of them all, I'd guess our BMWs have double the thickness in comparison.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zooks527 (Post 7393555)
Shilling mercilessly for my daughter's science channel on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/BiteScized), I feel obligated to note that she explains this between 1:18 and 1:53 in the video linked below. The thumbnail for the video even uses her sharkskin illustration.

Cool video! Subscribed. :D When she poses the "homework assignment", the immediate conundrum that came to mind was, even if an absolute beginner, I so far cannot sharpen my (entry-ish level) chef knifes to a satisfying level. So far, trying a lower grit double sided waterstone, and a fine grade Spyderco. While I'm 100% certain it is user inability, and we've probably perfected the tech(s) about as far as it will go already, I still am scratching my head to figure out where in nature I could look towards for biomimicry... Hmmm... :confused:

chris328 02-21-2013 10:19 AM

dude

your daughter is hot

EdCT 09-24-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bemo (Post 7393108)
Blasphemy! I did not utter such words. Suppose we can resolve our differences during the 2013 Fall Foliage Run. Ideally after the hot laps with Simon K. :)

This of course assumes The Captain's willingness to host another LRP visit (pretty please). Now if EdCT would stop wasting his time in the Political Science forum and scopes out another fun route, we'd be set! :)

You'll be happy to learn I'm no longer wasting time in PS ;), however, now that I'm an adjunct professor teaching the science and physics of audio, as well as composing for the tele, I've got no time for anything ... :D

jburke4689 09-24-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainaudio (Post 7393049)
The Orange peel is deliberately put on BMWs and is an important factor in the superior BMW driving dynamics.

If you don't want a car with orange peel buy a Lexus (which as everyone knows is a rebadged Toyota).

CA

Like dents on a golf ball.

mossman35 09-24-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 (Post 7392963)
The orange peel is deliberate to hide minor blemishes by breaking up the reflected light.

Exactly like using flat ceiling paint (verus semi gloss) when painting the interior of your house. :)

Kamdog 10-06-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdCT (Post 7854915)
You'll be happy to learn I'm no longer wasting time in PS ;), however, now that I'm an adjunct professor teaching the science and physics of audio, as well as composing for the tele, I've got no time for anything ... :D

Hey there, perfesser. :hi:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms